W1S1 New Year's Resolutions

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly a terrible thread idea, but why don't we all make some W1S1 New Year's Resolutions? It could be fun. If you're in the short story challenge, maybe make goals for how many sales you want this year and if you're in the novel challenge, wordcount goals. What do you say? I'll start.

My novel challenge resolutions:
- Finish the darn novel by Feb 15
- Hit 40k by the end of Jan

My short story resolutions:
- Hopefully sell at least 5 short stories, novellettes or novellas
- Write at least 10 short stories this year

What are your W1S1 resolutions?

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm intending to write two short stories a month.

I'd like to sell stuff in 2012, and it would be especially nice to make a pro sale.

I don't really do resolutions, though.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to try my hand at a novella this year. I have a concept, a character list, now all I've got to do is write it. Always the hardest part!

Catalyn

Nano'ing....
Registered
Reaction score
By the end of 2012, I want to either be in the process of subbing my novel, or at least be very close to it. As I only have an outline right now, this will be 90k-ish words plus revisions. Theoretically possible...

Slightly off the topic of novels, I am looking at jacking in my job and moving to a less stressful part-time position with some freelance work on the side, so once all that gets underway I might have to reevaluate my writing goals.

Very excited about this year. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I have a short-term New Year's resolution, which is to try out Shock Totem's flash contest this month. Never done it before, but think it'll be a great learning experience.

As for my long-term goal... No idea. :D Hopefully I can continue to write a story or two every month.

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
W1S1 is my New Years' Resolution. :) I plan to write and submit at least one short story a month. I also hope to get working harder on my novel but that's not as important to me at the moment.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
In no particular order:
1. Finish the revisions of my current novel and get it out to beta readers by summer, hopefully have it ready to query on by end of year.
2. Find a new in-person writer's group.
3. Finish the Aztec SF novella I've been putzing around with for several years now (mostly involves knuckling down and doing research.)
4. Decide what I'm going to do (if anything) about my first novel, which is, I think, good enough not to scrap, but too long to easily sell, and can't really be shortened without rewriting it from scratch again.
5. On top of those, try to keep up with W1S1 quarterly or better for short fiction.

In non-writing stuff, I may also be attempting to build a house and change jobs (preferably not at the same time) so that should be more than enough to keep me busy, right?

ETA: Also, try to keep up better here. I think y'all are awesome and it makes me so happy whenever you guys sell something, but I don't always manage to get a congrats in until it's so much later it seems silly.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm cutting down my short fiction challenge to 1 every 2 months in 2012 so i can focus on getting some novels drafted and ready to sub.

So, i'd like to complete 6 short stories, and 2 novels. Plus i have a mega-series of doom idea that needs some outlining. I'd like 1 of the novels i complete this year to be from that series.

No real goals on the sales front. I have a continuous resolution to only sub to paying markets. I wouldn't mind getting a pro-rate sale or two (i've only had the one so far, and that was back in 2009), but i won't set that as a goal exactly, because my subbing strategy is always start from the top and work down.

I was going to set a goal of 120 submission responses, but seeing as my short story output will be much lower this year, that may not be feasible.

Oh, and i want to write more poetry.

sheribomb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm working on my 2012 resolutions already!

I'm planning to write one novel and sub one novel this year. I started a new WIP in December that I'm pretty excited about. I'm planning on doing a JaNoWriMo kind of thing this month to get a good amount of it written. I'm also hoping to get my completed manuscript ready to query sometime in February. It's a weird year for me because I'm expecting a baby in early March, so I'm trying to get as much writing done as I can before then! :D

Happy New Year, everyone, and good luck!

DiannaG

Registered
Reaction score
W1S1 is one of my main resolutions this year, with the more specific goal of making most of those stories under 3K. Most of my stories end up being 6-8K because the idea is really too large for the word count, but I've got some very basic ideas in my head that I'm hoping will be shorter.

I'm also hoping to get my Novel of a Thousand Drafts out on submission by the end of this year, which probably means one fairly large restructuring, sending it out to my new beta readers, and then one more fairly large restructuring.

I'm hoping to edit my 2011 Nano once this year and to write another first draft in November :)

I hope we all manage to make our writing goals this year, no matter how crazy they are.