Isn't it fun to rediscover?

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
After a 3-4 month hiatus, I have finally returned to writing my novel. Yay!

I did a read-through right now of the roughly 36 pages (5 chapters) I have written. I casually spotted some glaring typos, deleted a few odd sentences ... just things that stood out to me as I read through.

What got me though is that I didn't remember writing as much as I did. It was fun reading through and noting my reaction to the little twists and turns I had introduced. It was as if I was reading a brand new story for the first time, clueless as to what is really going on and woooing and ahhhhing in all the right places.

And while I know there is a lot of final editing that will need to be done to those 36 pages, overall ... I was thoroughly pleased with what I have written. Heck, even with knowing all the clues and who did it ... I was very much engaged. Even my chapter ending hooks grabbed me.

How cool is that?
I know ... silly. Especially considering I'm just under 10,000 words in on my first draft.

So, while I didn't actually progress my story any in the last day or so word-count wise, I did accomplish a few things:

a) Did a slight change to the plot ... changed what character did what. This only tightened things up much better in my opinion.

b) Did a quick, basic edit of what I had written. I guess I'll do this in chunks ... every 3-4 chapters or so.

c) Refreshed my memory on where I left off. Kind of important you know LOL.

d) Boosted my self-esteem a tad know that I can impress myself by reading my own work and being thoroughly engaged.

I guess this can be akin to an epiphany. A sign to say that I am on the right track.

Has that happened to you when writing?
If so - share your experience!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I love this feeling! It's so good to go back and say "Hey, I didn't do half bad." :tongue

So glad you're there again. :)

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
It's funny because I did the same exact thing a couple days ago with my thriller. I have been so busy working on other projects that this kind of got pushed off my to-do list, but I read through it and remembered how much I liked my story. I even added a new scene after being stuck for a long time on this specific part.

acelticdream

Just me ... dreaming and writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Good going, Matt!

If I was many moons of hard work into my novel, I would have said the time away from it was needed in order to bring a fresh perspective to it when I did come back.

It also helps that I decided to stop writing linear and to skip to the ending of the book because I was formulating how to tie everything together and lay it out to the reader. That's what I have been typing today. By the end of tonight, I will be close to 5000 word mark for the day's total, perhaps a tad over it.

I guess though, because I'm knew the writing process, that I just didn't find my "groove" and sub-consciously knew it enough that I needed to step away for a bit. *shrugs* Sounds like a plausible idea perhaps.

HunterEmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hunteremkay.com
Ha!

I found exactly the same thing when I read back on my own WIP last month (December wasn't very kind to my WIP but I did manage a bit of work).

I normally don't read back at all - but for this time was forced back to rewrite several scenes and character points which were jarring me. And I found that I actually enjoyed my own writing, even if in first draft. I added a couple of scenes, took out a scene, and was motivated to add another few thousand words.

I was always a little fearful of re-reading my own writing, thinking it was bound to be awful somehow. But after a little time and distance, I found it to be a motivating exercise to get me across a wall.