Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we have coyote again.

Yeah, but they don't generally take down deer.

And given the choice between more bears, or reintroducing mountain lions, or the wolves... I'd rather go with the wolves.

Maybe even werewolves. Do a little about the excess stupid people population, too.

:D

Shuemais

We can't always be the Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

Even though everybody keeps telling me I shouldn't do what I want to do, I still want to do it. :evil

Obviously this is simply an oversight from the Authorities That Shall Remain Nameless. :D

Hello everybody. Hooray for restored Internet.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but they don't generally take down deer.

And given the choice between more bears, or reintroducing mountain lions, or the wolves... I'd rather go with the wolves.

Maybe even werewolves. Do a little about the excess stupid people population, too.

We have black bear and (very rarely) cougar here in Hillbilly Land. But the coyotes/wild dogs/ wolves/ whatever they may be are the only ones that scare me. Black bear and cougar are incredibly shy, and almost never come out into the open. Those dogs, on the other hand.... We hear them howling every night, shockingly close to the farm, and it's scary as hell. And they WILL bring down a deer; we have weekly evidence of it.

as for eliminating the stupid people population, I thought that's what vehicular manslaughter and Oxycontin were for.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Black bear and cougar are incredibly shy, and almost never come out into the open. Those dogs, on the other hand....

Mountain lions (or cougars, same animal) actually attack a fair number of people each year. Especially people on horseback. Whereas attacks by wolves on people are, in the main, more myth than substance.

Kick-ass movies with Liam Neeson aside.

Also, if it helps, you can hear them howl for *miles* away. I remember being up in Canada and hearing them, and even though they sounded like they were in the next campsite the ranger in charge of the howl said they were well over on the next ridge.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Marines, we are LEAVING!

(not you, Cobra. Just the colonials)

Have a good night, all! Don't do anything I wouldn't do.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Mountain lions (or cougars, same animal) actually attack a fair number of people each year. Especially people on horseback. Whereas attacks by wolves on people are, in the main, more myth than substance.

Kick-ass movies with Liam Neeson aside.

Also, if it helps, you can hear them howl for *miles* away. I remember being up in Canada and hearing them, and even though they sounded like they were in the next campsite the ranger in charge of the howl said they were well over on the next ridge.

Agreed on the numbers. But I'm not referring to statistics, but rather local experience. Besides, around here, the "important" numbers are livestock losses. Human victims of animal attacks are rare rare rare; in fact, I've not heard of one in forty years.

And I know exactly where the feral canines in question are; they're in Brushee, the next valley over. At least according to our county extension agent, Lori. Brushee is two miles away from Silver Run Valley by road, not quite a mile as the crow flies (or if you're willing to climb Graveyard Hill, which I ain't).

Lori told me that the Bowling family and the Sturgill family (who between them own most of that valley) applied for vermin permits to shoot the animals if they encountered them. Nobody else in our area has applied for such things.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Shue!

Thanks for the compliments on the shells folks. I managed to fine some 180 sandpaper that did the trick. All I gotta do is wrap them. Tomorrow.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I know exactly where the feral canines in question are; they're in Brushee, the next valley over.

Oh, wait- do you have actual feral *dogs*??

Those scare me. Coyotes don't go in packs, but feral dogs do and they tend not to be as people shy as their wilder cousins.

Those I'd want to shoot on sight, too.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wait- do you have actual feral *dogs*??

Those scare me. Coyotes don't go in packs, but feral dogs do and they tend not to be as people shy as their wilder cousins.

Those I'd want to shoot on sight, too.

jury is out. Some say coyotes, some say feral dogs. My vote is for feral dogs, and I'm with you. When they start howling, I stay the hell indoors.

And I didn't mean to sound pushy earlier, Boston. Sorry if I did. I don't claim to know the statistics. What I have is incredibly tightly focused local area knowledge: my county, and a few neighboring counties. And not even all of my county; just the farming community in the center of my county.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Coyotes don't pack, and they almost never take down livestock. Least nothing bigger than a sheep, certainly not a cow. They aren't big enough for that by themselves, or really even in a pair. Everyone thinks coyotes are like wolves, but they aren't, they're smaller.

I've seen one or two in the wild, and it's like black bears to grizzlies, the difference in size. (Not that black bears aren't themselves dangerous.)

Feral dogs, on the other hand, do form packs. And because they are often originally domesticated, they don't have the fear of people that they should. They scare me. I ran into one, once, in an urban setting. Small pack, mostly smaller dogs, except for the big one that was clearly alpha. I just came around a corner on the far side of a mall and there they were. They went past me, but it was a tense moment and there was a definitive "Am I or am I not on the menu?" feeling. If the pack had been comprised of larger breeds, I would have been considerably more worried.

So you weren't being pushy. :)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Coyotes don't pack, and they almost never take down livestock. Least nothing bigger than a sheep, certainly not a cow. They aren't big enough for that by themselves, or really even in a pair. Everyone thinks coyotes are like wolves, but they aren't, they're smaller.

I've seen one or two in the wild, and it's like black bears to grizzlies, the difference in size. (Not that black bears aren't themselves dangerous.)

Feral dogs, on the other hand, do form packs. And because they are often originally domesticated, they don't have the fear of people that they should. They scare me. I ran into one, once, in an urban setting. Small pack, mostly smaller dogs, except for the big one that was clearly alpha. I just came around a corner on the far side of a mall and there they were. They went past me, but it was a tense moment and there was a definitive "Am I or am I not on the menu?" feeling. If the pack had been comprised of larger breeds, I would have been considerably more worried.

So you weren't being pushy. :)

When I was about four, we had several large, dangerous feral dog packs in the area. Scary stuff, according to my parents, and damned close, too. I remember a couple of our hired hands going up onto the hill and bringing down dogs. The hill right next to our house, like less than fifty yards from my bedroom window.

Then there was nothing -- and I mean NOTHING - for forty years. Now all of a sudden there are dogs again. It's weird.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know sometimes people turn their dogs loose in tough economic times, figuring that will be better for them when the owners run out of money to keep them properly.

:Shrug:

Somebody's probably done a study on it, somewhere. Though if not, maybe we could get a hold of some grant money.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I know sometimes people turn their dogs loose in tough economic times, figuring that will be better for them when the owners run out of money to keep them properly.

:Shrug:

Somebody's probably done a study on it, somewhere. Though if not, maybe we could get a hold of some grant money.

That's... that's just nuts, man.

Not the grant money thing, mind you. I could do with some extra cash. ;)

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
And now, I go where no one can go for me. :hi:

ETA: Whoa. That is a kick-ass story idea I just got from my own post. Coolness.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
We've got coyotes in Chicago. Not the suburbs, right in the city. One lived for months in Jane Addams Park, just north of Navy Pier. She kept evading animal control. One ran under a taxi right in front of the Art Institute a few years back, and held up traffic until they could winkle it out. And only a year or two ago one strolled right into a convenience store in the Loop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.