Status
Not open for further replies.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
As for Flicka -- I assumed he/she was named after the horse Flicka in one of my favourite books, My Friend Flicka!

... Who was named Flicka because the stable hand Gus was Swedish. :) I loved that book as a kid, but it wasn't until I'd grown up that I realised that she was called 'Flicka' in English too!

But seriously, if anyone would be offended by my user name, I'd ask the administrators if they could possibly change it. It matters little to me so if it matters much to someone else, then I don't see what the problem is.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
do you think the historic significance answers my question?

In part, yes. I did say that Piet is a respected and important part of the tradition. You say it's a mockery.

I'll add to my post and say that your perception of the seasonal holiday is flawed as far as it is incomplete. I once took my brother to see Klaas in Rotterdam; they had real black actors playing Piet. He didn't believe it was Sinterklaas because they weren't the real Piets.

I knew a lad whose parents had immigrated to the Netherlands from Suriname. His father enjoyed playing Piet every year, and even then put on the black theatre paint and lipstick -- the reason, because (young) children in Holland don't associate Piet with people of colour/ethnicity. In fact most children, as my brother (then 6) and his friends were happy to tell me, believe that Piet is black because he comes down the chimney. It's only as they enter into junior school or toward the end of infants that they note the 'similarity'.

I was aware of this. Although I don't think it matters as far as the discussion about whether or not it's racist is concerned. I have trouble following your line of thought sometimes.

Because you aren't considering whether it's racist or not -- you're considering if it should be seen as racist. These are 2 different ways to approach a situation. Racism in my view is a conscious act of discrimination, mockery or hate toward an individual or group of ethnic distinction (not necessarily minority). That said, there is still room to cause offence through sheer ignorance... but who's really to blame? Can you call a baby wilfully unhygienic because they poop in their nappy?

I've encountered all manner of ugliness and ignorance in my life, and one thing that I've learnt is that I can no more hate a person for their idiocy than I can hate myself for seeing it.

Yes, people should act upon racism and any other form of discrimination or prejudice -- but when does doing so also become a form of discrimination in itself?

Last edited:

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I was trying to illustrate how sometimes offence results from not knowing or having the context readily available. I don't think it's silly and I can fully understand -- and in the case of the confectionery, it's obvious what is meant with the word, but whether the intention is offensive is another matter..

But in my example the context was fully clear for, for example, my sister's friend who was born in Ethiopia and the first boy I kissed whose father was from Nigeria. It was perfectly clear to them, and they were offended. So I'd use another word.

Everybody happy! :)

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
But in my example the context was fully clear for, for example, my sister's friend who was born in Ethiopia and the first boy I kissed whose father was from Nigeria. It was perfectly clear to them, and they were offended.

The context of the cake and its name. I agree that it may startle because it startled me when I first encountered it; I wasn't sure what to think! But whether that implies an intention to offend is another matter, as I said. Clinging to such terms is also pointless, as you say, especially when they don't add anything a more PC term wouldn't. The choco-kiss or chocolate ball is, in my view, even a better name as it puts us all on the same page. My point is not the name per se, but whether it ever intended offence.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
... Who was named Flicka because the stable hand Gus was Swedish. :) I loved that book as a kid, but it wasn't until I'd grown up that I realised that she was called 'Flicka' in English too!

...and means "little girl" in Swedish. Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. Gorgeous book!

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Because you aren't considering whether it's racist or not -- you're considering if it should be seen as racist. These are 2 different ways to approach a situation. Racism in my view is a conscious act of discrimination, mockery or hate toward an individual or group of ethnic distinction (not necessarily minority). That said, there is still room to cause offence through sheer ignorance... but who's really to blame? Can you call a baby wilfully unhygienic because they poop in their nappy?

I've encountered all manner of ugliness and ignorance in my life, and one thing that I've learnt is that I can no more hate a person for their idiocy than I can hate myself for seeing it.

Yes, people should act upon racism and any other form of discrimination or prejudice -- but when does doing so also become a form of discrimination in itself?

Actually, I acknowledged that it wasn't racist in intent. But the problem is that intent doesn't matter here. If you run someone down with your car on accident they die in the same way as if you run them down on purpose. "Accidental" racism isn't about causing offense. It's about reinforcing 1. harmful stereotypes (I've read plenty of Dutch PoC recount being called Piet by small children. Again, not to mock, but still deeply humiliating) 2. White supremacy. And no, I don't mean nazis and the KKK. I mean the idea that "you, PofC may be the one represented here, but how my image makes you feel ISN'T IMPORTANT."

Racism is harmful whether or not it is intentional. And I agree that children may not always know the context. But the Dutch people I spoke to acknowledge that they saw the problematic nature once they were old enough to see Piet as what he is: a person of color.

And it's astonishing that you don't underdstand why I called Piet a mockery. He is a dark black color that we don't come in, with red lips that we don't have. He is the exaggerated image of a PofC. The toys that have his big red floppy mouth and white eyes, that isn't the celebration of a PofC. We don't *look like that*

I agree that ignorance is the cause a lot of time. But when Dutch people are made aware that their image of Piet is deeply offensive and mocking to black people, the response isn't one of understanding. It's generally to defend the racist depiction because it's "tradition."

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the fact that he was black if he was portrayed as a realstically looking black person in animations and drawings. AND if he was only played by black actors. You want to show how much you "respect" this iconic PofC by having a white person don an unattractive (to the point of not looking human) representation of him?

The racism may not be intentional. But when one is made aware that the image is racist and still refuses to correct the problem, it becomes intentional and even malicious as it requires a complete disregard for the opinion of PofC.

ETA: here's a very good article on why intent doesn't matter when the result reinforces the oppression of marginalized people. It's very sarcastic in tone and there's some language, but it gets the point across: http://genderbitch.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/intent-its-fucking-magic/

Last edited:

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's not that I don't understand. Obviously, I'm not stupid. Looking at something from a different angle does not automatically equate to a lack of comprehension. Perhaps balance is not necessary.

I concede, you're absolutely right. If something has no clear hateful intent, does not resemble a person of colour (in your words for having elements that are not true representations) and is not associated with a person of colour by those for whom it is intended, it must be racism, unintentional or otherwise.

Here's something that never fails to prove that very point. I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember this... In the 80s a German toymaker (may very well have been Zapf) franchised a new line of dolls aimed at the black market Enterprising and progressive, no? Hmm. They called her 'Coco'. I know. Rather than have the doll renamed, public outrage had her discontinued as a mockery and shameful display of discrimination.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
It's not that I don't understand. Obviously, I'm not stupid. Looking at something from a different angle does not automatically equate to a lack of comprehension. Perhaps balance is not necessary.

I concede, you're absolutely right. If something has no clear hateful intent, does not resemble a person of colour (in your words for having elements that are not true representations) and is not associated with a person of colour by those for whom it is intended, it must be racism, unintentional or otherwise.

Not quite sure what your point is, but I think you need to re-read my posts from page 2.

I have to side with missesdash here. I saw something about this on tv when I was ten, living in Alabama. I'd recently watched Bamboozled. It was definitely a wtf moment for my mind.

In the end, I may be a foreigner looking in on another culture, but there's no denying that this:

280px-Minstrel_PosterBillyVanWare_edit.jpg

looks like this:

intocht_zwarte_pieten.jpg

And I find it deeply offensive that anyone would try to deny that they do look similar. Is it intentionally racist? Maybe it used to be. Is it intentionally racist now? Probably not. But is it racist, regardless of intent? To some. Do I, as a black person, find it offensive? Yes.

And, tbh, I don't have time to look up the history behind zwarte piet. I probably should. By my ignorance on the topic doesn't detract from the similarities between the two images. Minstrel shows and blackface are a very delicate topic. And I find it odd that a Christmas icon just so happens to look like someone in blackface, down to the curly hair.

No. It's not the color. It's the color combined with everything else. If it were red, orange, green, yellow, blue, I wouldn't care. But the black with the lipstick and the hat/bandanna and the earrings and the wig? It's like a mammy doll brought to life.

White Americans have a history of dehumanizing black Americans. That's what missesdash means. I've experienced this first hand in elementary school.

The newer representation of Piet is a blatantly obvious representation of various racist portrayals of black people. There is no other viewpoint on what he looks like. Now, you can discuss the intent behind Piet all you'd like. I don't really care. But you don't seem to understand what his appearance portrays and why it is insulting.

At the most basic level, it sends out the message that blacks aren't human.

Here's something that never fails to prove that very point. I'm not sure if you're old enough to remember this... In the 80s a German toymaker (may very well have been Zapf) franchised a new line of dolls aimed at the black market Enterprising and progressive, no? Hmm. They called her 'Coco'. I know. Rather than have the doll renamed, public outrage had her discontinued as a mockery and shameful display of discrimination.

I'm not quite sure what relevance this holds to Zwarte Piet. I'm unable to find images of this doll, or even references to it in relation to Zapf creations.

Piet's current image is a shameful mockery that continues old displays of discrimination.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score

I get the feeling you missed every point I made. Or you're being intellectually dishonest because you feel a tad defensive. Your "it doesnt look like you so it isnt you" argument pretty much invalidates anyone who has ever been offended by black face or minstrel shows. You yourself brought up the fact that Piet is supposed to be a person of color. Do we no longer agree on that point?

Read my post again. Intent *doesn't* matter. The depiction is racist. It is an offensively exaggerated depiction of a black person. It's nothing new or specific to The Dutch. We've all seen it before. Piet is essentially a festive golliwog.

ETA: And the doll story isn't really relevant to my point because I never said Piet should be banned. In fact I suggested a less racist portrayal.

Last edited:

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what makes this any less racist?

WhiteChicks.jpg

Maybe it's the added sexist overtones of men as women? Or, is it the stereotypical depiction of a white vacuous cheerleader as played by black guys in make-up, face paint and prosthetics?

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Well, Kie, in part it's not racist because white cheerleaders didn't spend centuries being exploited and sold by Black people as property.

The lives of blond cheerleaders have never been at the mercy of the whim of some Black guy who decided to accuse her of seducing or raping him, whether the accusation was coerced or manipulated or deliberate.

There's simply not the weight of exploitative history to lend weight to the condescension and scorn and mockery. In fact, it's a strange sort of upside-down examination and reversal, when you consider how many black men were lynched in America for either real or supposed sexual relationships with white women.

When there are thousands of images like that, going back better than two hundred years, maybe we can draw an equivalence. But in this case? It's a red herring, a false equivalency, and a derail.

It's the same reason that portraying Bush as a monkey is fundamentally a different argument than portraying Obama as a monkey, in political cartoons.

And you're verging on trolling in here, whether intentional or not.
I suggest you ease up a bit.

Last edited:

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
No trolling intended -- I'll leave at that. I just wanted to approach this in the way a child might, because as I see it, no child is born a racist and the children inherit the world after us. If we can't see the world as they do and must add connotations to everything, aren't we only passing those on and not educating any of the simplicity in acceptance at all?

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Well, at least in part the problem is we can't approach this like with anything like perfect childlike innocence, because it's so deeply ingrained in our language and culture.

For godsakes, we're inadvertently teaching children that whiteness is prettier -- and that's happening really early. And while I don't think anyone (or at least, I don't think MOST of us) intend that to be a life-lesson for our kids...there it is.

And I may well be speaking out of turn, as well, since I'm your basic middle-aged white chick who doesn't even have any kids...but I don't think anyone here is interested in saying "Piet is racist and creepy and should be banned" so much as "Exhibitions of white people in blackface have a long and problematic history that's condescending and troubling to a really significant number of those people being portrayed -- so instead of teaching our kids to continue that tradition, can't we find a better way? Can't we find a way of honoring this tradition that's not mocking and insulting to a great many people?"

The lesson to take away isn't "Well, I say it's not meant to be insulting to you, so you need to sit down and be quiet because I know better than you" so much as it's "Okay, I don't necessarily get it, but I don't necessarily have to get it. You're insulted. You've told me so. You're just as much a human being as I am, and if I really don't intend to cause offense, perhaps I need to reconsider my approach."

Last edited:

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
That's true, and I can't say I disagree at all -- my point is only that for that to happen, there does need to be (on both ends of the spectrum) enough room for as many shades of grey as is reasonably possible. I agree that if they wanted it to remain an authentic, if not respectable tradition, then black actors as Piets would be the best route -- but if Dutch children already don't associate Piet with race, then where does that shift happen and how without drawing attention to a possible racist ideal? I've said many times that racial diversity shouldn't be taboo but something we celebrate, as uniqueness and individuality, not necessarily under the microscope of what makes us different, but what we can say is what makes us all (regardless of colour) individuals.

In any case... I've a poem posted here on the question of power granted to words that children don't know, understand nor see a viable purpose for until they're taught, for anyone who is interested.

ETA: nothing I've commented or posted was done with the intention to trivialize or invalidate -- but to broaden the scope in the ways I've mentioned. As for 'White Chicks', agreed, there is no consistent pattern of black people portraying white people prominent in history, and a few occurrences do not outweigh several centuries of cruelty. However, women in general have been and still are in many places and manners victims of oppression. Yet no one sees or finds drag (not always a 'gay-thing' as some might suggest) which is equally a display of gross caricature, an openly offensive act worthy of as much discussion or debate as blackface... however unrelated or off-topic, this perplexes me no end.

Last edited:

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
@Macallister that was a great answer to the stale "but what about the White Chicks movie?" I think I'll save it for the next time someone brings it up.

And I can't say for others, but your summary of my argument was definitely correct.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I also don't think we should say "Dutch children don't associate Piet with race." pointing to people of color and calling them "Piet" means that they do make the association. Also,"Dutch" doesn't mean white. I read of a black Dutch child being made to feel very uncomfortable when Piet visited his school and the children commented on how much they look like.

Kids *don't* understand why it's hurtful to do. But that's what adults are for. To explain context.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I also don't think we should say "Dutch children don't associate Piet with race." pointing to people of color and calling them "Piet" means that they do make the association. Also,"Dutch" doesn't mean white. I read of a black Dutch child being made to feel very uncomfortable when Piet visited his school and the children commented on how much they look like.

In building on my previous post where I mentioned that a small, somewhat unapparent, practice is emerging where Piet is being played by actual black members of their local community (I mentioned Rotterdam, but I'm also aware of this occurring in other large cities too such as Dordrecht. Note that both these cities have a large centralised black population for want of a better term) and pairing that with my general view that race should approached as an issue of personal individuality, not exclusion or definition, and especially in small children, then there's no reason why that more respectable tradition can't grow. In fact, if it is pointed out to a child at such a point, it may become something to be proud of (= that a person of colour is a national icon and prominent part of the annual festival in the run up to Christmas). Would you mind a comparison being drawn to someone who essentially amounts to a celebrity? There are many negatives to be highlighted in any society, the trick and the most simple way to relieve those is to make them positives. It's a perfect example (in the case of said cities) where people of colour make a racial reference their own and disarm any malice or offence which may or may not be attached to it (see my previous post here 2nd paragraph).

So what I'm saying is, if Piet's current image is a dehumanisation, make him human and dispel the connotation, but the let the kids lead the way with us (adults) as their guide. Such change is best grown from the inside out and not from the outside kicking its way in.

I also think we can both agree that this:

Since the last decade of the 20th century there have been several attempts to introduce a new kind of Zwarte Piet to the Dutch population, where the Zwarte Pieten replaced their traditional black make-up with all sorts of colours.[9] In 2006 the NPS (en: Dutch Programme Foundation) as an experiment replaced the black Pieten by rainbow-coloured Pieten,

is also a workable idea, even if it was dropped a year later, possibly because it further removes Piet from human reference.

I have spoken with a friend on facebook with regards to why this was dropped. As a member of the Tilburg council, she informed me that this was only ever an option not an official policy. It was introduced into several boroughs after a public survey -- those chose for it had a greater proportionate multicultural populace than those that didn't. The option was dropped for the following year because the Tilburg council stated doing so would send out confused messages that conflicted with their Rainbow March.

Piet has accompanied Sinterklaas since 1850 (thanks to a teacher named Jan Schenkman), prior to this there were only occasional helpers of unknown, or rather, undefined origin. If you'd like to show your international solidarity with the Dutch who are opposed to the continued use/depiction of Piet as is, visit this page.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.