Short Fiction and W1/S1 Related Blog Posts

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
The first post in a mini blog series all about words that relate to writing, starting with P. Today: Projects. Come tell me how you approach your writing projects :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Next post in the P mini-series: Programs--looking at the programs/apps i use to help keep me productive and efficient as a writer. Come tell me which ones you use :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Third P-series post: Progress. A look at my writing progress over the last few years (spoiler: W1S1 gets a mention). Come tell me how you've progressed! :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Persistence: a brief look at what it took to find a home for "In the Cool of the Day".

(I know there are plenty of folks on here who have spent more time and tried more markets before selling a particular story. But this is the oldest story I had in circulation and one of my "most submitted". I felt I should point out that even for those of us who have made sales it isn't always easy.)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Pointers, Part I. Some writing tips and pointers that work for me and might work for you, too. This is the first part of what will probably be three parts.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
X, Q, or Z. They're terribly underrated. :tongue
Heh. If you nominate one of those letters in the comments i'll have to consider it (and if no-one else nominates anything, i'll have to use it :D).

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Aggy. I just read your "persistence" post. Thank you for the boost! Much needed.

Izz, loved your pointers. I clicked on the links a bit worried that I'd be faced with another set of the usual rules... "show, don't tell" and the like. As a rule (no pun intended!), I hate -- or at least mistrust -- the "rules". Many thanks for addressing the important stuff!

Last edited:

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score

Alex, a friend of mine wrote a great book on the absurdities of copyright law called "Freedom of Expression". In fact, he trademarked the phrase "freedom of expression" and then, in order to show how nuts it is that anyone could "own" the rights to language, initiated a lawsuit against AT&T for using the phrase in their advertisements. Smart guy.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, a friend of mine wrote a great book on the absurdities of copyright law called "Freedom of Expression". In fact, he trademarked the phrase "freedom of expression" and then, in order to show how nuts it is that anyone could "own" the rights to language, initiated a lawsuit against AT&T for using the phrase in their advertisements. Smart guy.

The intellectual property system is way, way broken. Fortunately, as I point out in the blog post, companies do care about their public image. Given how many influential people are now talking about this case (it's been everywhere in the last 24 hours) I hope GW will decide to back off and fight another day.

squeaky pram

oldie turned newbie
Registered
Reaction score
The intellectual property system is way, way broken. Fortunately, as I point out in the blog post, companies do care about their public image. Given how many influential people are now talking about this case (it's been everywhere in the last 24 hours) I hope GW will decide to back off and fight another day.

Yup. Or better yet, stop fighting altogether. :)

In case you're interested, here's the wikipedia page about my friend's book and his media pranks (Mods, I'll delete if it's against AW rules to paste the link):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_Expression_(McLeod_book)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, word is getting out. I saw it posted in the Critters newsletter just before seeing it posted here. You would think if there's a big enough backlash, that they would care about their image (or sales, at least). Maybe someone with more money and time than me should find a character or phrase they use that's been used previously (I'm sure they're not THAT original) and demand they remove their game. What they're doing could set a horrible precedent! I can't believe they were able to get that book taken down, especially - as you pointed out - the term far predates the game! Unbelievable.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
*bumppppppppppp*

Today, i interviewed the character who will be starring in most of my upcoming short fiction. It was fun :D

Jazz Heely

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
I received a guest slot on mystery writer B.K. (Bonnie) Stevens’ blog The First Two Pages for my supernatural mystery tale “Most Evil” (in the new anthology Busted! Arresting Stories from the Beat, Level Best Books).

For those not familiar with Bonnie’s innovative blog concept, mystery writers divulge what the heck they were thinking when they crafted the opening paragraphs or pages of their story or novel.

Several award-winning short story authors are featured in the archives, so as you can imagine The First Two Pages is a treasure trove of cool stuff. I hope you get a chance to drop by and check out the many short story and novel entries archived there.

Last edited:

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
I have a guest post about humor in mystery/crime stories (“A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Murder”) at the Short Mystery Fiction Society blog.

Seems counterintuitive that fictional tales of crime and its consequences could be enhanced by a few guffaws. Then again . . .