Short Fiction and W1/S1 Related Blog Posts

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
As sort of an offshoot from the blog chain which we've been doing this month I wrote a detailed post on my blog today called "The Life of a Story: Idea to Publication." As the title suggests, it describes my own process/suggestions for taking a story through its lifecycle. A lot of this will be familiar ground for people in this forum, but I am hoping that there are some people who will find it useful and also that there may be helpful comments from veteran write/submit people.

I spoke with Izz and it was suggested to me that a thread for posting short fiction and Write 1/Sub 1 related blog posts could be started. This would be a place where we could let each other know about blog posts which we think would be on-topic to the forum.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Things--where i waffle about W1S1, 2011, vacation, the novel i'm about to start, Comets and Criminals, and Facebook.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, I wrote a blog post vehemently disagreeing with one GD McFetridge who plagiarized authors and pranked editors in order to make the point about the literary magazines being corrupt and not recognizing talent (especially his talent). Original post was here:

http://alexshvartsman.com/2012/01/17/rejecting-faulkner/

Today, McFetridge showed up on my blog, writing a response reminiscent of what might be found on the flame boards. I thought about taking the high road. I really did. Instead, I wrote something that will hopefully make you chuckle. Check it out!

http://alexshvartsman.com/2012/01/20/from-the-desk-of-mr-mcfetridge/

All I'm saying is, if you begin a rant with "Do you know who I am" type of statement, you better be the Juggernaut, or I'm not impressed.

And if someone figures out who the mysterious "FJ" is that I'm supposed to be a minion of, please tell me?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
January Wrap--it is as it sounds (but not a piece of clothing): a wrap of January's writing and editing activities.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
My interview with D. Thomas Minton (who had a story in a recent issue of Asimov's Science Fiction) is up on my blog. It focuses heavily on short fiction writing.

Of possible extra interest is that Mr. Minton has offered to take questions from readers of the interview. So, if there's something you'd like to ask him, hop on over and add a comment.

Thanks!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I couldn't sleep and my brain doesn't want to work on my story, so instead I wrote a blog post pertaining to our little discussion over critiquing published works--it's sort of W1S1 related, right?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
The first post in a new blog series, where i'll be examining brand new spec fic markets, many of which may be of interest to us doing W1S1: New Markets--Jukebox Serials and Specutopia.

(disclaimer: the market views put forward here are entirely mine and entirely subjective)

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
First installment of my second new blog series: Markets for the More Discerning Submitter, where i look at existing token and semi-pro markets i particularly like, and why. Today i talk about Kaleidotrope.

Wonderful idea, Izz. Thanks so much! I've never submitted to Kaleidotrope, and now I feel inspired to do so. Always great to discover a new market ...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Thanks, Sai and Pemako. Glad you're liking the posts :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Brief post on a submissions call for a cyberpunk-themed anthology from an independent UK press: Crime Net.

I have mixed feelings about this one.