2011 in review (W1S1, otherwise)

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No shame here. That's 25 subs more than a lot of would-be writers. Well done!

mhaynes is totally right Smallthing, you finished AND submitted, you're already ahead of the game :)

Aggy great job :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Dear Zanzjen, my prayers for the end of your headaches!
Dear SmallThing, your stats are no small thing!

I joined AW this year in September. Prior to joining, I already had two published non-fiction books, non-agented to independent publishers. A few published articles and poems, all non-paid.

I've been working on a memoir since September 2008. Organizing it has been a pain as it twines three life stories that join at the end. Figured it out in April this year. Izz kindly allowed me to join the Novel Challenge, though the work is as non-fiction as memoir gets. Largely, I'm here to stay on focus. And I've written more through late November and early December (when I send out Christmas cards) than usual.

I did sub (I'm just getting used to the idea that "sub" means "submit" rather than substitute teach!) a self-contained section of this memoir in the middle of this year to a pro publication. 1 reject. Since this chapter has a Christmas theme, I've posted it in the memoir section of SYW.

Here's the link: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232730

It's good to have people to cheer on. It's good to be cheered on myself. Here's to a wonderfully productive 2012 for all of us.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
You all put me to shame! :)
Well, i'm in your fanboy camp. Your two sales have been to Strange Horizons and Daily Science Fiction. That's pretty impressive!

I know I don't post here much, but I do lurk, and for a lonely writer sitting in the middle of a bunch of pine trees and scribbling away, it's meant a lot to have you all here. You're all spectacular, and I hope 2012 brings you all more sales than you can stand.
:)

I've also thoroughly kicked my "not-good-enough-for-that-market" complex.

All in all, despite a lot of RL ups and downs, it's been a very good year. I hope to make next year even better.
Good stuff, Aggs! :hooray:

It's good to have people to cheer on. It's good to be cheered on myself. Here's to a wonderfully productive 2012 for all of us.
Thanks, Siri :) Here's a few cheers, just for you: :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
I had four stories that I'd written, hmm, almost 2 years ago that I finally became brave enough to start subbing six months ago. Since then (inspired by you wonderful people) I've written four more. My stats:
32 submissions
6 still outstanding
2 no responses
23 rejections
1 acceptance

I really don't deal well with rejection, so I can't tell you how grateful I am to have found this group. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one getting these nasty form Rs, and it's also great to see all the success people here are having. May we all publish in Clarkesworld next year - or TNY!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I really don't deal well with rejection, so I can't tell you how grateful I am to have found this group. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one getting these nasty form Rs, and it's also great to see all the success people here are having. May we all publish in Clarkesworld next year - or TNY!
Good stuff, Pemako. Glad to have you here! :) :partyguy: