Landlord puts up "White only," sign at pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The sign in question reads, "Public Swimming Pool, White Only." It is dated 1931 and from Alabama.

Hein, 31, was unapologetic about the racist origins of the sign that she displayed at the entrance to her pool. She said she collects antiques and was given the sign as a gift. She also said that even though the sign seems to indicate that the pool is public, the pool is on her private property and "everybody has to ask before getting in my pool."
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/exclusive-white-only-pool-sign-owner-explains-112542881.html

I'm going to try to give this woman the benefit of a doubt. Maybe she does have it only since she likes antiques. But you shouldn't be idiotic enough to actually hang it up. Put it in a display case or something with other antiques, so there's some context to it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Thanks for the edit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
This quotation raises my eyebrows:
"I've never said anything to that child," Hein said. "If I have to stick up for my white rights, I have to stick up for my white rights. It goes both ways."

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
See, she's confusing "the inalienable rights of every sentient being on the planet" with "White rights".

It's a common mistake among the privileged, who assume that others trying to GAIN what they have is the same as them being asked to "give up" something.

Now, I think she should be free to put up the sign...and we would be equally free to judge her because of it. I judge her to either be completely out of touch with reality...or a fucking racist.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to lose the insults one learned as a kid even when one realizes how hurtful they are. We appreciate the correction.

Maryn, who thinks the sign should not have been hung without context

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It's hard to lose the insults one learned as a kid even when one realizes how hurtful they are. We appreciate the correction.

Maryn, who thinks the sign should not have been hung without context

I don't think it should have been hung at all. Some antiques don't need to be celebrated.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Well, in the context of a witness claiming she made racial slurs about black people's hair, and the context of this woman saying "white rights," I'm kinda gonna assume the "antique" thing is just something she made up because she realized nobody likes her.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
And I salute her.

Nothing like dealing with an out and proud racist. At least,I know where I stand with them. I cannot deal with people that smile in my face and hate behind my back.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
After reading the guidelines of this subforum (POC), I'm failing to see what this news story about a racist landlord and her likely violating the Fair Housing Act has to do with racial issues in writing or minority characters in fiction, or authors of color.

It is clearly a "political and/or current event," not a writing-related one.

Doesn't seem like it should have been moved.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Keep on, Opty. You'll get yourself modded yet, just so's you get to weigh in on these decisions, too.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh.

I've adjusted the forum description, at Wild Master Optimus' suggestion. That should help.

Thanks for your patience, everyone, while we break in the new space. It's important that this room doesn't become a sort of catch-all, and that we don't ghettoize these discussions -- but new rooms like this need a shake-down maiden voyage, too, to sort out what works right and what doesn't quite.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
New room???

**Looks around**

Is it just mean, or is the paint on the wall the same color in all the rooms??

And would it kill someone to toss down a throw rug?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I read about this on gawker.

What a ridiculous person. The sign is gone anyway, someone "stole" it.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
There's no excuse for hanging a sign like that. None. If you want to show off your antique sign in your own home, fine. Though I find it disgusting. But there's absolutely no reason to hang a sign like that in public, antique or not. I get it that she hung it at her own pool, but obviously, it's in a place where outsiders can see it. And that's offensive.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Growing up I saw those signs on everything. It might be a relic of the past, an artifact of history, but it brings shameful memories to many of my generation, and a reaffirmation of bias to others.

If, however, we keep such things buried in the past, we are, in effect, rewriting history to sanitize our legacy.

Let her hang the sign if for no other reason than to remind us of what we tolerated and to educate younger people about how things were. I don't need context. It is what it is.

This episode could be a good short story. Layers of conflict and contradition.

Last edited:

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Yeah, no benefit of the doubt here. The fact that she has tenants who use her pool alone would make hanging that sign tasteless and wrong. But I would think any normal person would feel horrible realizing that something they genuinely did innocently looked, in fact, racist. Prattling on about "white rights" is not the response of a non-racist person.

Status
Not open for further replies.