Does Anyone Else Write Interracial Romance?

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
My current WiP features a "black Cherokee" lead.

Current seed WiP (two books away, because I start multiple projects at a time) is mulatta.

I don't actively seek interracial leads. They just walk into my head that way.

However, race will take a role in the book I am planning. I know this because one scene has already jumped out at me because it is part of the conflict. For that, I intend on getting insight from a friend who is similar... genetically speaking. Her insight will be very helpful to me to understand the ways my lead character will react.

If you stay true to your character, AND do your research rather than make broad stereotype stokes of literary paint, you should have a good character. Good Luck!

Zombolly

Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting, but where does it end? If a white author can't write with a POC character, does that mean female authors can't write male MC's and vice versa?

But most of us see someone of the opposite gender every day. We live with them, love, and respect them...and we still screw it up sometimes. You can find a plethora of unrealistic female and male characters in novels. Imagine how much harder it is to get it right with a culture you aren't (and likely never can be) a part of.

Also, the point isn't that white writers can't write a POC well. They sometimes can. The point is why? I know for me, I wanted to add to the diversity of the romance genre despite being white myself. It's much more effective to buy books by POC authors, and share them with my friends.