Cosplay!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray:to hanging out with like-minded friends. And, don't think of it as 'missing' this year's costuming event, think of it as time to get really ahead for next year!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it definitely gives me more time to plan and execute some of the costumes I want to do. The problem I'm having is too many ideas, and I can't seem to commit to any of them. But there's time now, so hopefully it'll sort itself out.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Transformers, Thunderclash is loved and billed as the Greatest Autobot Who Ever Lived. At TFNation this weekend, a cosplayer was Thunderclash and won first prize. He gave his first prize to a young girl who cosplayed BlackArachina

Link

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Sooo, after years of making do with bad substitutes, I finally bought a Dritz Twin-Fit dressmaker form. Should be fun.
Oooh! I just padded my generic dress form out to my measurements (or near enough). Been meaning to for a while, just never got around to it until now.

The sad thing is, I've had zero interest in sewing for myself lately. Back in February, I was quite excited about starting a Star Trek Enterprise uniform--found a pattern, fabric, boots, even the shoulder patch and rank pips. But then COVID-19 hit and my fabric source announced there would be a minimum 30-day shipping delay, and then they declared that they weren't going to stock any "non-essential" fabrics during the crisis, which included the fabric I needed, so all of my enthusiasm deflated. (Side note: apparently "essential" equates to "very expensive," because all of their cheap fabrics were taken down, but they had plenty of $80/yd fabric. . . .)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Oooh! I just padded my generic dress form out to my measurements (or near enough). Been meaning to for a while, just never got around to it until now.

The sad thing is, I've had zero interest in sewing for myself lately. Back in February, I was quite excited about starting a Star Trek Enterprise uniform--found a pattern, fabric, boots, even the shoulder patch and rank pips. But then COVID-19 hit and my fabric source announced there would be a minimum 30-day shipping delay, and then they declared that they weren't going to stock any "non-essential" fabrics during the crisis, which included the fabric I needed, so all of my enthusiasm deflated. (Side note: apparently "essential" equates to "very expensive," because all of their cheap fabrics were taken down, but they had plenty of $80/yd fabric. . . .)

You found a pattern?

(I have a length of red cotton jersey I’d been planning to make into a classic Uhura dress for ages. The only question was whether to make a quick-and-dirty minidress or one fitted and shaped à la the actual dresses - which were made of a heavy, uncomfortable-looking velour anyway, near as I can tell from the model I studied at the Museum of Science and Industry. Wow, do I digress. Condolences on your fabric difficulties.)

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You found a pattern?

Yes! Bad Wolf Costumes has a ton of Star Trek patterns they made after examining the actual uniforms in person and scrutinizing the various shows/movies. They documented (and shared) all the minor variations that can be seen, with a level of OCD attention to detail that I, with my insane perfectionism, can only hope to someday achieve.

They are a bit lacking when it comes to female uniforms, sadly. They have some, just not the one I really want (Voyager jumpsuit). The Enterprise uniform, however, is almost identical when you look at male vs female. Just a couple of darts and a narrower band of elastic for the side waist.

They don't have any Kirk-era uniforms, but if you're able to modify patterns, Dr. Pulaski's medical tunic might be a good starting point for Uhura. Or even the TNG skant?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Yes! Bad Wolf Costumes has a ton of Star Trek patterns they made after examining the actual uniforms in person and scrutinizing the various shows/movies. They documented (and shared) all the minor variations that can be seen, with a level of OCD attention to detail that I, with my insane perfectionism, can only hope to someday achieve.

They are a bit lacking when it comes to female uniforms, sadly. They have some, just not the one I really want (Voyager jumpsuit). The Enterprise uniform, however, is almost identical when you look at male vs female. Just a couple of darts and a narrower band of elastic for the side waist.

They don't have any Kirk-era uniforms, but if you're able to modify patterns, Dr. Pulaski's medical tunic might be a good starting point for Uhura. Or even the TNG skant?

They don't have the classic Uhura I'm looking for, alas. OTOH, it's great to see a pattern company that focuses on men's costumes!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I have to confess I had been entirely ignorant of the amazing cosplay potential of wigs and hairpieces aimed at Black people.

I've found a blonde topknot-and-bangs piece you add over your own hair, suitable for I Dream of Jeannie and classic Star Trek, and a "finger wave" wig perfect for 1920s cosplay, both in the Black-oriented section of my favorite online wig store. Vivica Fox is a good brand with lots of little attachable ponytails, braids, bangs, and wigs.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
It's always difficult for me to find hairpieces, because my hair is a hard-to-match shade of dark copper/red.

I got a 10% off coupon for Bad Wolf patterns, so I'm debating whether to order the Enterprise uniform pattern now. Even if I can't get the fabric yet, I could at least do a mockup and start on the necessary alterations.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It's always difficult for me to find hairpieces, because my hair is a hard-to-match shade of dark copper/red.

I got a 10% off coupon for Bad Wolf patterns, so I'm debating whether to order the Enterprise uniform pattern now. Even if I can't get the fabric yet, I could at least do a mockup and start on the necessary alterations.

The nice thing about hairpieces aimed at the Black community is they tend to have a good range of darker colors. The Vivica Fox ones I've been looking at have a number of styles that come in nice deep auburns.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I'll have to visit the hair supply shop once quarantine ends!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I started going to cons again! In July, I was at Fan Expo in Chicago. I dressed as a hobbit one day, and a generic steampunk persona another day. But my favorite cosplay by far was Agent Dana Scully from The X-Files. I was committed to this role. I grew my hair out and had it colored lighter than my usual red, just for this cosplay. I bought a suit (well, actually two suits, because I needed a different size for the pants than the jacket). I had the suit altered to fit better. My friend got us FBI badges. And she cosplayed Agent Mulder, so we were a matched set!

It won't let me attach the image, so here's a link.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I started going to cons again! In July, I was at Fan Expo in Chicago. I dressed as a hobbit one day, and a generic steampunk persona another day. But my favorite cosplay by far was Agent Dana Scully from The X-Files. I was committed to this role. I grew my hair out and had it colored lighter than my usual red, just for this cosplay. I bought a suit (well, actually two suits, because I needed a different size for the pants than the jacket). I had the suit altered to fit better. My friend got us FBI badges. And she cosplayed Agent Mulder, so we were a matched set!

It won't let me attach the image, so here's a link.
Oh, you look smashing!

(I've found Tweets load if you link to them, so if you Tweet an image, you can then link to the Tweet here. It's how I showed the hat above.)

(Also, welcome back!)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
So, I was at the World Science Fiction Convention, Chicon8, last weekend and did some cosplay there.

I also did a full-blown Roaring 20's costume, with a fringed and sequinned dress and the tiniest Marcel-waved wig, but overlooked documenting it, oh well. And of course there was the regular run of studded black leather cyberpunk dresses and silver leggings and pirate stuff, a.k.a. my street wear.

Reactions: TeresaRose

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I really like how you combined the red TOS miniskirt with a black legging. I never thought about it, but it looks really natural for the outfit.

Reactions: Alessandra Kelley

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Just came back from a sci fi convention where I wore this classic old Scarlet Witch look from the early days, whilst being on (and sometimes moderating!) discussion panels on AI Art and other current topics.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Reactions: mrsmig