Cosplay!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The cross-stitch canvas idea might work, if I can find a piece large enough. I'll look the next time I'm at Hobby Lobby. They carry it, I think. Thanks!

Unfortunately, my hair is too short to braid. And it wouldn't help with the wings, anyway. The cap fits snugly against my head, covering my hair, with elastic at the back that helps keep it secure. I've never had any trouble with it. It's the wings, which fit over the cap, that's giving me problems. I can't secure the wings to my hair because the cap is in the way. The cap is pretty secure on its own, but if I anchor the wings to it, I don't know if it'll stay secure. A good gust of wind and I might lose both.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Nice boots, Filigree! What are they for?

Definitely not making the cap/wings all-in-one. I have to be able to take the wings off indoors, for one thing. It's hard enough to transport the wings by themselves. They're tall enough that a regular hat box is too shallow. I had to find an extra-tall box for last year.

Any thoughts on trying to make a pair of regular leather ballet slippers look more like pointe shoes? Aside from adding ribbons? I want the toes to be more boxy looking, but without doing anything that might make them uncomfortable to walk in. I was thinking of maybe inserting craft foam sheets, or maybe buckram, or something. Haven't got around to experimenting yet, but I did Google "cosplay pointe shoes." Found a tutorial from a teenager on YouTube who demonstrated how to stuff the toes with what looked like cotton balls, and then used them as actual pointe shoes. I'm not a dancer, but even I know how dangerous that is!

(For the record, I'm not planning on any sort of actual ballet in these shoes. I'm fully aware of the risks involved with that sort of thing. I'm just trying to make the toes less rounded, so it's not as obvious they're not pointe shoes.)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Orianna, right now the main outfit for the boots is a sage&copper tailcoat, embroidered trousers, and a white or olive shirt. I have matching jewelry I made in 2012, black leather gloves to convert into half gloves, and a leather hat that can be dyed black. Not going for a specific era, just a good hall costume with a Girl Genius feel.

On the shoes: buckram might scratch your toes. I'd consider shaped pieces of closed-cell foam.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Filigree, good point about the buckram. I didn't think of that. I'll be at Hobby Lobby later this week, so I'll see if they have anything that might work.

Your outfit sounds vaguely steampunk. Can't wait to see photos of it!

paradoxikay

everything happens so much
Registered
Reaction score
If you're still struggling with creating fake pointe shoes, have you considered adding something to the outside of the shoes instead of trying to reshape them from the inside? Foam covered in pleather might work - and the advantage of adding on to the outside of the shoe is that it wouldn't take up the space you need for your feet. Otherwise I think the idea of shaped foam inserts is a good one. Or you could use something stiffer and add foam or another soft barrier between the insert and your toes, if you have room.

Shoes are usually the last thing I notice about a cosplay, though. It might be easiest, and most comfortable, to just wear unmodified ballet shoes. Though I totally understand if the loss of accuracy would drive you crazy - we cosplayers can be a fussy bunch!

Speaking of cosplay, I really need to get a move on if I'm going to have anything ready for Anime Expo... how is it April already??

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Ha ha ha, I know. I'm probably not going to any cons this year (maybe a local, to promote a fantasy that will be out in August). I'm still having fun putting outfits together. Shoes are tricky: they have to look right & still be comfy.

Adding a shaped foam piece to the *outside* to the shoes sounds much better & safer, Orianna.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about adding something to the outside of the ballet shoe. Wouldn't it be a nightmare trying to match the foam or pleather to the real pink leather? And how would you make it look like a natural part of the shoe? I may end up just stuffing a bit of batting in the toes, just to hold the natural shape, so it doesn't look floppy.

I went to Hobby Lobby yesterday with a very long list of items to procure, and they only had two. Two things, out of my entire list. I was sorely disappointed. Now I'm going to have to try to color-match online and won't that be fun? :Headbang:

They actually did have buckram, much to my surprise, but it was thinner than the stuff I already have. I couldn't find any large sheets of plastic canvas, only 8x10 pieces, which isn't big enough for a handmaid's wings. Does it come in bigger sizes online? I can order more buckram, just not sure how heavy it'll be. Guess I can always layer it, if need be.

Starting the third mockup of the corset bodice today. I'm considering wearing a bra under it, just because I don't really want a sloping Victorian bosom shape. And because I don't like the idea of wearing nothing underneath, in case of wardrobe malfunction. It's basically strapless, so I can't wear a cami underneath, which would've been my first choice.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I agree about bulking out the outside of the shoes rather than the inside! Cosplay can be uncomfortable enough without shoe-issues.

What about bulking out the front of the shoes with something like paper clay? I love foam for all the things, but it would be hard to get a smooth connection to the rest of the shoes. Paper clay or even shaved down/shaped foam rubber and painted?

I'm working on an Overwatch cosplay, but it's mostly assembly. I'm doing Brigitte from the animated short. Already chopped up a t-shirt and hurrah for a cosplay I can wear my natural hair with, but I've got to dye and alter (elongate one strap so it'll "hang" oversized while staying up. Video games really need to consider the physics of clothing) a cheap pair of work overalls I bought online. Other than that, my own real fabrication will be making an oversized wrench as a prop. My bestie is going as pajama Mei, so we're going to be comfortable at the very least.

Downside, I'm on week four of being sick, and I've got to put back on all weight I've lost with this cold or my Brigitte is going to look very underwhelming!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm nuts. Walking around DragonCon in ballet slippers? Sure, they have leather soles, but it's probably still a stupid idea. I might make my hubby put my sneakers in his backpack, just in case things go pear-shaped. Not that I want to walk around in a ballet costume with sneakers, but if I get desperate enough, I might be glad I brought them along.

CoffeeBeans, I've not heard of Overwatch, but I'm sure your costume will be awesome!

In other news, I just found out that I get to go to Asheville, NC this weekend, to visit the Biltmore estate, which is having an exhibit of costumes from the movie Titanic. I paid extra for the guided tour, which was probably dumb, but I don't even care. I'm so excited!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously it'll depend on how much support you need, but if you got ballet flats (as in ballet slipper styled real shoes) they'd probably save your feet some. I generally think most people don't notice shoes in cos anyway!

Wow! That sounds like a great event. Have so much fun. No idea if pictures are allowed, but if so, be sure to share.

This is the cos I'm working on. Consensus is, that red strap is hanging down to the top of red overalls.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I thought about that, but I tend to get blisters from ballet flats. My skin is unusually thin, so I blister easily. I have to wear socks with everything. Also, I wear an extra-wide, which is hard to find, plus I have flat arches, high insteps, and a narrow heel, which adds to the frustration of finding shoes that fit. I searched for more than six months to try and find a pair of comfy shoes for our trip to London last year. Ordered at least a dozen pairs of shoes, which all had to be sent back. I didn't find anything and ended up wearing my sneakers on the trip.

I'm not sure if photography is allowed at the Titanic exhibit or not. According to their website, they have very strict rules. It said that for "special tours," photos are prohibited. But I'm not sure if the exhibit is considered a special tour or not. I really hope I can take pictures, because this is an amazing opportunity and my memory is so bad, I'd hate to have to rely on it to remember all the details.

No pictured showed up in your last post, CoffeeBeans.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, that sounds like such a pain in the butt (heel?) Orianna. Maybe you could recolor a pair of shoes you comfortably wear? As in, maybe the ballet shoe part is painted one color and the rest of it is painted to match your tights?

I think my image is still linked to the word this, but it's also linked-- here

As you can see, it's not so much a costume as in character clothes heh. We're looking forward to it as a bit of a "day off" in costume. The one my friend is wearing is this one -- here

ETA: there is one sticking point with my practically-not a-costume costume. As pictured here, there are gloves. In character, these would be some kind of work glove with the fingertips removed and a heavy grey cuff/band. I can buy cheap satin gloves or real work gloves. Adding the band will probably be 4mm craft foam and I can cut the fingertips off, but any thoughts on the gloves material? I'd hate to be fiddling with them all day...

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I overlooked the linked text!

Look for cotton gloves. They make thin, white cotton gloves for museum workers to wear while handling antique textiles. You could cut the fingers off and dye them gray. Might be more comfortable than heavy work gloves. Or gardening gloves, maybe? Heavier than cotton, but not as heavy as work gloves. You might even search Etsy for some reproductions. I know they have a lot of fingerless steampunk gloves.

Someday, I really want to make a Star Trek uniform. There's a company that does really good reproduction patterns, but so far they're mostly male costumes. Supposedly they've got female versions in the works, but who knows how long it'll take? My oldest and dearest original RP character is from Star Trek and I'd give anything to cosplay her. I suppose I could design an "off-duty" outfit for her, but it wouldn't be recognizable to anyone except me.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Filigree! That's amazing! The color/fabric choice is so perfect. The whole thing just pops and it must look amazing in motion!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Filigree, I love the ombre effect on the jacket! I never get that lucky at the thrift store. Best I can usually find is cheap flat sheets to use for mockups. When are you going to wear it? I'd love to see pics of the whole costume!

I ordered a cheap tiara for my costume (see it here), but I don't like it. It's pretty, but it's more brassy than gold, and the red stones are way too bright. My fabric is more of a wine-red, not a bright red. Plus, it doesn't have combs or any way of attaching it to your head. So, I think I'm going to pay for a custom tiara from the same lady who is making my wig. I figure, I'm already paying a lot for the fabric, beads, and corset hardware, and the wig certainly isn't cheap. So why settle for a $12 tiara that will probably tarnish before DragonCon even gets here?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Get some wine red craft wire and some cheap but flashy glass beads. You can wire wrap your own tiara.
I've never done that before, so I'm not at all confident in my ability to make it look professional. My costume, I've been a sewing teacher for seven years, and a historical costumer for a few years before that, so I know I'll do a good job. But I'm not much of a jewelry maker, other than simple bead strands for my MedicAlert bracelet. I'd hate to screw it up! Plus, the real tiara has all this gold filigree and stuff on it. I wouldn't know where to start with that.

I may or may not wear the tailcoat to Phoenix Comiccon (if I go). Not really doing cons this year. But this outfit is verra swishy.
Ooh! My hubby will be at Phoenix ComicCon! He goes every year with an old friend of his. It's his "guy" time, so I always stay home. But I'm hoping that this year I'll be going to the BBC's Sherlock convention in LA, that same weekend. I'm just waiting for them to finish announcing who's going to be there. If either of the two lead actors (Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman) won't be attending, then there isn't much point. I've already made a Sherlock themed purse, because I'm being optimistic.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there are several different variations of the tiara. Some look more like a traditional tiara, others are almost Egyptian-inspired. Some are chunky, some are delicate. Here's the version of the costume I'm making, it's from the World Tour. I don't care for that tiara, though, it's too big and blocky. Here's one that's better, but still a bit too flamboyant for my taste, what with the tall round piece in front. Here's a photo that shows several different versions all together. (These are all Pinterest links, BTW.)

I'm hoping the wig maker can sort of morph the elements I prefer, making a custom tiara that will be the best of all worlds. I've never worked with her before, but she's well-known for her replica costumes and impeccable work.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hmm. I haz ideas. Tell your costumer she can nail that look by wrapping a commercial comb tiara in antique bronze wire and burgundy crystals, then attaching beaded or wire wrapped oval burgundy bezels to front and sides. Some frou-frou bronze stampings and more crystals to hide the joins, and you'll have a stage-ready tiara.

The trick with stage jewelry: it has to be big and flashy enough to be seen from forty feet away.

Something in the rhinestone-coated resin category will be light, cheap, and blingy enough. https://m.dhgate.com/product/30pcs-...shape-resin-rhinestones/402372435.html#pd-100

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I know about resins, but I've never heard about rhinestone-coated resin. WOW :Jaw: That is all the sparkle!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That's a lot of sparkle! Good grief!

She says she's limited to basic red (glass or plastic) crystals, unless I pay extra (and have the time for a search) for vintage crystals, which tend to be darker red. I'm worried they'll be too bright, since my fabric is more of a wine red or blood red, not bright. Fire Mountain has some "dark siam" and other darker red stones, but I'm assuming that genuine Swarovski crystals would up the price considerably. There's a few that aren't Swarovski, but I would have to order them to color-match, which takes time and additional money. Still debating what to do.