Cosplay!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. I'm just one of those people who tends to sew exact (or nearly so) replicas of costumes, so it just feels wrong, somehow, to wear a costume that took so much time and effort, but not bother to get the hair right. But since I'm NOT going to wear a wig, that doesn't leave me many options. Ugh. I'm too tired to think about it right now.

Filigree, thanks for offering to donate your skirt! I appreciate that. I'm not going to have internet access (probably) until the middle of next week, so I won't be able to look at the photos you post, but I will definitely look as soon as I'm able. ;)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I probably won't be able to post them for a while, either, so no rush.

Description: size L (about 16) with elastic waistband that could be taken in or spliced out. Ankle length on someone 5'1". General color similar to this but with a little more green & saturation: https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/16-4408-TPX

Woven bias-cut rayon with wide bands of embroidery and trimming, those shaped to form four points coming down almost to the ornate ruffled hem. Typical 'Boho' style skirt.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know of a source for patterns from the WWI era, 1915 or 1916? I've several books of sketches and fashion plates, but no patterns.

This is a new idea for an epic DragonCon costume. I still need to work out the details, but just to give a hint, it's a historical/sci-fi crossover. I'm super excited about it! The foundation is a dress from around 1916, when hemlines were mid-calf and skirts were semi-full and layered, with a kimono-style, slightly empire bodice. I've been searching online for patterns all morning, without success. It seems that most of the books and websites that offer Edwardian patterns don't go past 1912.

I could probably draft it myself, but it would take a lot more time. So . . . any ideas on where to find patterns?

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried any of the vintage costuming pattern vendors?

Patterns of All Time seems to be the best, but I've never used them.
Possibly Reconstructing History, but not likely
Perhaps Past Patterns

I've used Reconstructing History for landsknecht. I did a mockup in muslin first and basically used the patterns to give me an idea of the shape of my pieces and how they fit together, because my people's sizes had nothing to do with the sizes in the patterns. (Two children + one adult man.) It was pretty easy with landsknecht. I don't know if it's quite that easy once you get into the more tailored shapes of the Edwardian era.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Lonestarlibrarian. I'd already checked Past Patterns, found one or two that might work with modification, maybe. But they're expensive, especially considering that they only come in one size and you have to adjust the pattern accordingly. The others didn't have what I was looking for. There were some patterns from the era, but none of the right silhouette.

I checked all my books, too. If I want to make a natural form ballgown, I'm all set. But a simple 1916 skirt and bodice? Doesn't seem to exist!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Would it be weird if I just started wearing Edwardian dresses to normal events? I love the silhouettes so much. :heart:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Weird, maybe. But so? There's someone in Canada (I think?) who wears Victorian all the time. As long as it's not hurting anyone, do what makes you happy! And never mind whether it's weird or not.

Also, silhouettes have a habit of coming back around. When I was a teenager, based on my study of historical fashion trends, I accurately predicted that the empire waist would come back into fashion in the early 21st century. And it did! My wedding dress in 2002 had a high waist. And when I was hospitalized in 2003, my nurse wore empire-waist scrubs and that's how I knew it wasn't just a quickie fad, but actually had become fashionable again. I was so disappointed when it finally phased out. My point being, you might be able to take the silhouette you adore and make it modern, somehow. Then you'll be a trendsetter, instead of a "weird" costumer or cosplayer.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I vote not weird, Heza. I'm a big fan of wearing what you love and letting others deal with what they think of it. If you love a silhouette, there are often more mainstream shapes that echo/invoke as well, if you're worried about stepping over the dressed up/playing dress up line.

Not to mention, accessories can modernize historical looks. I mix and match a lot of vintage into my daily wear even if I might have originally bought it as cosplay/historical use.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
You've all convinced me. I can sew moderately well. I once made a fancy court dress for the SCA, and I'm getting into embroidery. I think I'm going to channel my sewing into making my own Edwardian-inspired dresses.... and other things. ;)

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Heza! Post pictures when you've made something!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I will. It'll probably be a while, though. (I'd like to slim down a bit before I start piecing together a pattern.)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
For whatever reason, between stress and diet, I've dropped 12 pounds in the last year, and over 25 since 2011. That means a lot more options for me in costuming and fun day-wear.

My current favorite 'fancy' garb is based on Edwardian tapered coats and embroidered/beaded dresses. But I hardly go anywhere to show them off, so I'm probably just going to start selling them on my Etsy shop.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Anyone know of a source for patterns from the WWI era, 1915 or 1916? I've several books of sketches and fashion plates, but no patterns.

This is a new idea for an epic DragonCon costume. I still need to work out the details, but just to give a hint, it's a historical/sci-fi crossover. I'm super excited about it! The foundation is a dress from around 1916, when hemlines were mid-calf and skirts were semi-full and layered, with a kimono-style, slightly empire bodice. I've been searching online for patterns all morning, without success. It seems that most of the books and websites that offer Edwardian patterns don't go past 1912.

I could probably draft it myself, but it would take a lot more time. So . . . any ideas on where to find patterns?

Sorry for the late reply. I researched this last spring when I realized I wanted to be a Suffragist for Independence Day, political creeps having made Colonial era garments less fun.

Butterick has some just out of print patterns, like B6337, a 1915 two piece suit. I accidentally got two copies, so if you fit size 14-16-18-20-22 PM me and I’ll mail it to you.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Butterick has some just out of print patterns, like B6337, a 1915 two piece suit. I accidentally got two copies, so if you fit size 14-16-18-20-22 PM me and I’ll mail it to you.
Wow, that's very kind of you! I just looked up that pattern, but I think it's too early for me. My sweet spot for this particular costume seems to be right at 1916, when skirts get shorter and fuller, just before they go slim again. The kimono bodice is still in fashion, as are wide, gathered sashes, both of which fits with my crossover plan. I need to do a sketch to cement exactly what I need. But thank you! I really appreciate the offer. :)

What's annoying is, I've got a (reprinted) pattern catalog from the 19-teens . . . but those patterns are, of course, no longer available. I wonder what would happen if I wrote the company and requested a specific pattern from 1916 and included the advertised cost (something like 10 cents)? I probably wouldn't get my pattern, but it'd be funny as heck!

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
The new Star Wars movie comes out this week. Anyone attending the premiere in costume?

I finished our outfits, although I will NOT be wearing the cloak I made. I made my hubby's cloak out of flannel, lining the hood and sleeves with broadcloth, and it looks great. I get colder than he does, however, so I made mine out of fleece. Which, as it turns out, isn't the best idea I've ever had. I've no doubt it would keep me warm, but unfortunately, it makes me look like a giant gray marshmallow! I actually tried it on for my husband, to get a second opinion, and the look on his face was all the answer I needed. He SAID it looked okay, but his face told a totally different story. So, it looks like I'm going to freeze to death at the movie premiere.

Also, I have to do something with my boots. They were the only boots I could find that fit and were even remotely the right style, but they have two straps with wide brass buckles on them, which totally ruins the Jedi vibe. I'm thinking of removing the buckles and just gluing the straps down, but I've no idea what kind of glue works on fake leather. My other option is to try wrapping the boots with fabric, desert nomad-style, to hide the buckles. Which might work, or might look as terrible as my fleece cloak. Any other ideas?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
The new Star Wars movie comes out this week. Anyone attending the premiere in costume?

I finished our outfits, although I will NOT be wearing the cloak I made. I made my hubby's cloak out of flannel, lining the hood and sleeves with broadcloth, and it looks great. I get colder than he does, however, so I made mine out of fleece. Which, as it turns out, isn't the best idea I've ever had. I've no doubt it would keep me warm, but unfortunately, it makes me look like a giant gray marshmallow! I actually tried it on for my husband, to get a second opinion, and the look on his face was all the answer I needed. He SAID it looked okay, but his face told a totally different story. So, it looks like I'm going to freeze to death at the movie premiere.

Also, I have to do something with my boots. They were the only boots I could find that fit and were even remotely the right style, but they have two straps with wide brass buckles on them, which totally ruins the Jedi vibe. I'm thinking of removing the buckles and just gluing the straps down, but I've no idea what kind of glue works on fake leather. My other option is to try wrapping the boots with fabric, desert nomad-style, to hide the buckles. Which might work, or might look as terrible as my fleece cloak. Any other ideas?

Camouflage. Paint the buckles.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Can you paint metal buckles with acrylic paint? That's the only kind I have on hand.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you can... the only thing is that the paint might rub off if you rub them too hard on anything. You can rough up the metal with sandpaper or a nail file (nail polish is a more permanent solution if you have any handy!)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Can you paint metal buckles with acrylic paint? That's the only kind I have on hand.

Yes, you can... the only thing is that the paint might rub off if you rub them too hard on anything. You can rough up the metal with sandpaper or a nail file (nail polish is a more permanent solution if you have any handy!)

Yes, you can paint metal with acrylic paint, as long as the metal is clean and grease-free.

(Much of my hobby time is spent painting tiny pewter RPG figures with acrylic paint.)

CoffeeBeans’ suggestion of sanding the buckles a little first is a good one.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Nail polish . . . hmm. I might manage a trip to the corner drug store for nail polish. But isn't it usually glossy? Do they make less-glossy nail polish? (I haven't painted my nails since I was a teenager.)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
One of my mentor girls is having a Star Wars themed birthday, so I lent her my Rey cosplay to wear. I've spent a lot of time lately obsessing over how far I am from trying out for the local Rebel Legion that it was really nice to see someone excited about the costume.

Anyone working on anything cool at the moment?

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, no. I've been thinking about maybe starting on a Phantom of the Opera costume that I've had in the planning stages for several years. (It's the ruffled coral/peach and black dress from "Point of No Return," if anyone is familiar with the show.) It's been plaguing me for ages (read: I've been putting it off for ages) because there's a lot of complicated issues that have to be worked out.

I actually haven't done any sewing since finishing my Jedi costume in early December. I'm not sure what's going on, I just haven't had the desire to work on anything.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got any projects in the works? In preparation for DragonCon, I've started a new cosplay costume. It's the Hannibal slave-girl ballet costume from the first act of The Phantom of the Opera. I'm actually going to be brave and try a wig this time.

With regards to my Handmaid's costume, I need to remake the wings (stiff bonnet that limits field of vision and hides your identity). I used buckram for the first one, but it's got a few dents in it. And I'm concerned that if it rains, the buckram will disintegrate. Any ideas on a material that's somewhat stiffer than buckram, yet still sewable? If necessary, I can add a layer of white shower curtain between the buckram and the outer fabric, to help waterproof it. But I'd like something that won't dent as easily.

Also, I could use ideas on how to keep the wings safely on my head while outside. Last time, I tried bobby pins to clip it to the coif/cap underneath, but I could only clip the back section, so it didn't work very well. I had to keep my hand on the wings at all times, because a mild gust of wind would've blown it away. I might try some kind of button/loop system to attach the wings to the under-cap. But even that might fail if the wind caught it at the right angle. Any suggestions?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Maybe plastic cross-stitch canvas as a waterproof substitute for buckram?

For hoods and things I usually do my hair in a french braid across the top and bobby pin the thing to that. Some of my hoods have ribbon loops sewn in the inside center seam for this.