Read-Out-Loud -- A voice other than Microsoft Sam?

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I know I've seen a thread on this before, but I wasn't sure where it went to.

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro, and I was looking to find a free, downloadable voice that wasn't Microsoft Sam (the only one my computer apparently has). If nothing else, I was trying to find a female one.

I'm wanting to listen to portions of my WIP, but it'd sound odd for a first person female voice to be robotic male.

Any ideas of where to look?

Thanks!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
What Operating System are you running? MS has multiple voices available for their Text to Speech. You make the changes to the voice in the Text to Speech before running the Read Out Loud and it reads in the new voice.

Dragon Naturally Speaking may well be the best out there these days (not free.)

That said, a search for "open source text to speech" will turn up a lot of alternatives, like YakiToMe, which is free, and easy to use. It is not, however, a download.

CoolSpeech has a two week trial that works with a number of voices.

Last edited:

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I'm running Windows XP on this computer, but I'll take a look at the ones you suggested.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
bytecool has the free voice collection for the XP Text to Speech software.

Smooth voice transitions may still be hard to find for free, but this at least will give you some variety.

How big a selection do you want to hear? You might find you someone here who will read it to a file for you, might/might not be for a nominal fee. There's some pros on here that would probably cost a reasonable but not necessarily "nominal" fee. :)

Last edited:

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Does the bytecool one allow for it to read through pdf, or would it just be the trial version?

I'm not sure yet on the selection length. If nothing else, I'd just read it out loud myself. I mainly wanted to experiment with it, to see how it worked.

RMG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mywritingmylife.com
Have you given a try to this one? Seems interesting for a free version, but I think if you want something smooth, you will need to invest in a higher grade soft.

Hope this helped.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I tried that YakiToMe to see how it is and if it's any better than Adobe Reader, and once I uploaded the text and had it play for me I heard nothing. I must be doing something wrong.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Okay, I figured out why it won't work. It requires a plug in which is used only on Apple computers, and mine is not. Bummer.