ABSOLUTE WRITES CHAT ROOM. THE INS AND OUTS AND HOW TO MAKE IT MORE FUN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
"Rock-solid" and "widely respected" snicker...snrrrt..."Ray Wong" snrrrrk...mmmppphttt...HAAHhhahahaaaa!!!!

Has anyone told Ray, yet?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, MacAllister, you're turning a funny shade of purple there. Can I get you a drink of water? Or maybe some oxygen?

Jason, I appreciate your suggestions about different places to establish a chatroom, but I don't think it is likely that we're going to physically relocate the chatroom at this point in time. It's established and people are starting to become comfortable with it. Also, we've had so many technical changes recently, I think we (the mods anyway) all need some time to let the cyberdust settle. The current chat is not as difficult as it might appear on the surface once you're in there. Heck, even Frank can manage it. ;)

If I'm misunderstanding you and you're suggesting different tools to use to access the existing chatroom, I know there are lots of different options out there. I couldn't necessarily tell you what they all are, but I know they exist. I use mIRC, Charlie (ChunkyC) uses Trilliam, and a fair number of individuals just use the link at the top of the board.

I have e-mailed Jenna about being our inaugural guest, probably some time after the first of the year. I'll let everyone know what she says.

I, too, would like to start off with some of the respected individuals on the board. I have ulterior motives for this, though. I figure there will be a few kinks in the system -- in the manner in which questions are fielded, etc. -- and assume individuals like Uncle Jim and Jenna would be more understanding and in a better position to provide feedback on what worked and didn't work from the perspective of the guest-speaker. Ultimately, though, I would like to contact some off-board personalities as well as our respected board regulars and see if they would be interested in speaking to us through the chat interface.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I appreciate the opportunity to contribute. Thanks for looking over the suggestions.

v/r,

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Birol said:
Internet Explorer
  • Click on Tools.
  • Select Internet Options.
I have IE 5. My Tools menu looks like this:

Track Auction
Auction Manager
Download Manager
AutoFill Forms
Show Related Links
MSN.COM
MSN Hotmail
Encarta Online

There's nothing there about Java. I believe I have Java enabled. I use it on other sites; it just doesn't work for AW chat. Where can I check to see that Java is enabled? I looked at Control Panels and didn't find anything whose title seemed relevant.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
"Even" Frank can manage it?

HA!

I've been navigating the IRC highway since...since...<insert writerly metaphor indicative of a very long time here>.

Reph, mIRC isn't Mac-compatible. Ircle and SNAK are. A friend, Mac-addict, and longtime chatter recently switched from Ircle to SNAK. She likes it better. It's mIRC-like.

All chat clients are kind of bewildering at first. But there's lots of how-to help online. Look for the FAQs associated with the one you want to use. Most of the sites have message boards. Some have demos.

The learning curve is a bit steep but very much worth it. Chatting on IRC via a good client, versus doing so with java, is like driving a Rolls compared to a horse-drawn buggy.

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
aka eraser said:
"Even" Frank can manage it?

HA!

I've been navigating the IRC highway since...since...<insert writerly methaphor indicative of a very long time here>.

*Lori attempts to look abashed and fails miserably.*

While technology and I get along pretty well, my technical question-and-answer abilities are limited to what I've needed to know for myself, for my mother, or to stop the help desk people from going postal on a former boss of mine, and we're getting to the edges of what those needs have taught me as far as these chat-related questions go. However, we do have a handy dandy technical forum and I have even started a thread where you can post your JAVA-related questions for Roger and our other technically-minded people to answer.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
jst5150 said:
-- Guest speakers: recommend starting with Jenna, since its her board. Then, comb the boards for rocksolid published authors, poets, etc. and people who are widely respected (Ray Wong, Jim McDonald, et al)...

Just got here... I was respected? Wha... did I miss that memo?

(but thanks for mentioning my name...)

(now I'm going to go snort snurk snuffle... with Mac)

Sydney

Hi Birol.

It looks like other people were having trouble with chat too, and like your ideas about the guest speakers.

This is my last suggestion on the chat room for a long time. Could you put your post about how to enable Java, into your chat announcement also? I know it would help.

Deleted member 42

Reph if you're using I.E. on OS 9, the Java based chat won't work for you. Java, by the way, is not the same as Java script; I know, they were named that way to deliberately confuse us, but they really aren't the same.

I believe Ircle will work on your Mac. I'll try to down load and check, but it could be a couple of days.

You can find Ircle here

http://www.ircle.com/

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Update

Moderated chats will begin in January 2006. Jenna has agreed to be our first guest speaker. Both Uncle Jim and Jaws have indicated they would be willing to be guest speakers at a moderated chat in future months.

Watch this space, the announcements at the top of the forums, and the AW newsletter for additional information.

Keep the suggestions for speakers coming.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I downloaded mIRC and still couldn't get Starchat to work for me--I wonder if there would be a way to use an easier chat format?

Chat events are great, I have run chats and contests on chatrooms hosted by my publishers and had a lot of fun.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Um ... you can untie her now....

Oh, if I have to. I guess...

About the time of the chats, if you click entry on the Calendar (see the list of options up above), it should provide you with the correct time for your time zone, assuming you indicated your time zone when you registered at AW.

Status
Not open for further replies.