• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bradley Publishing

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
It opened for submissions on 14th November 2011 but has 2 books listed as being due for release (couldn't see when those books were out or whether they were already out and that information should be on the site as it goes to sales).

Bit confused that they describe themselves as an electronic publisher but have a link for a print store so that should be clarified.

Also I'd prefer it if they put their royalty rates up front with details on how the net is calculated (as most electronic publishers seem to pay on net) and I'd want to know exactly which sites books will be available to buy from.

Otherwise all the standard caveats about lack of obvious publishing experience, distribution, etc etc etc.

MM

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Had a peek at their contract, which isn't bad. Royalties are 45% for ebook and 8% for POD. I forget whether or not it's net or gross. They are very, very new. Give them some time and see what transpires.

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
I wanted to add that my friend has a book coming out today from Bradley Publishing. It's on Amazon without any reviews, so it doesn't seem like they do any advance copies for review. She also told me that they offer print copies, but they haven't done any yet. She's like the seventh author published by them and I guess the paperback goes in order of contract so she may be waiting a while. :Shrug:

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Last I heard, they have about 8 books out now, with a bunch more to come. I think they are waiting to see how their current books fare before they go to print. I haven't checked any of their books on amazon lately, but maybe I will.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
From what I know: Husband and wife team. Jennifer Bradley is an author. Other than that I've heard nothing.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
The covers look very amateurish. They don't inspire confidence.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Mustafa, I'm curious. What seems amateurish about their covers in your opinion (note that mine ain't much better)?

This is not a dig. I'm seeking information.

I didn't want to bash the press, or the specific covers, but I sent you a pm. I think you'll find most people here will see those covers as amateurish.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
Their website doesn't look very professional to me. The banner is too large and looks blurry. Their logo looks amateurish. But I could forgive them all of that if at least their covers look professional. They don't. Anyone with a basic grasp of photoshop can do it (I doubt even a basic grasp is required though). It's especially the fonts that look out of place and sometimes unreadable.

Reading the message on their homepage, the website looks geared towards authors, not readers. They talk about their author/publisher relationship. Another red flag for me.

They have a shop on their website, but in my opinion it's extremely hard to find. There don't seem to be any links in the navigation leading to it (or else I missed it). I wonder why they have a page called bestsellers if it's empty. Also, how will they classify anything as being a bestseller? Their news page looks rather amateurish as well. Just a bunch of lines declaring new releases. Was a blog too much to ask? Or a bit more information about the release? This looks to me as if they don't do a whole lot of promotion.

They also publish a lot of genres - in my opinion, way too many for such a small press. Promoting mystery novels is hardly the same as promotion erotica, not to mention they have young adult novels as well...I don't understand why they have all these different word counts for each genre on their submissions page, making it a lot more complicated than it should be (and why the 30k words mark for YA, which is the highest of all the ones mentioned) but that's more personal preference.

I doubt they do much promotion for their books. While their editing skills may be good (I have no idea, haven't purchased one of titles yet) I see little or no promo efforts on their behalf.

Their "meet the editors" pages talk about their editors. I don't have the time to skim through them all, but what about their publicist? Cover artist? Anyway, the last three pages are empty as well - I'm guessing the info still has to be updated. Also, what about the publisher? Do they have any credentials prior to establishing Bradley Publishing?

Note: the shop is under 'books'. I found it now. I still think 'shop' would be clearer.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Reading the message on their homepage, the website looks geared towards authors, not readers. They talk about their author/publisher relationship. Another red flag for me.
That was what popped right out at me. Shouldn't the home page be about selling books rather than recruiting authors? Most would-be authors know enough to click on "Submissions" if they are looking for a publisher. Tho, in fairness, eternalized, they do appear to have buy links for their books down toward the bottom of the homepage.

I didn't hate the covers. I've certainly seen worse. (And, full disclosure, for both my books at least one reviewer has knocked my covers! :tongue)

Last edited:

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The latest news on this company is that they are closing shop due to lack of book sales. I know of one author who pulled out early this year, because it was clear to her that the company had no idea how to promote her book. Always have a care with a new company.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
They have closed and given rights back to their authors, including the covers.