• Wuthering Heights

Votes: 14 45.2%

• Total voters

Isabella Amaris

Registered
Reaction score
Website
isabellaamaris.blogspot.com
Oh, I remember I loved Jane Eyre when I first read it... And happened to re-read it this yr and still loved it! Jane has a huge amount of spunk and character, totally departed from the stereotypical heroine of her time, and really punches Rochester (metaphorically) for thinking he can manipulate her because of the difference in their rank and because he's a man while she's a mere woman lol!... In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think the book was considered immoral in its day for depicting an independent, thinking woman! Yes, I know, unthinkable...

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Wuthering Heights is my all-time favorite book, I think. So of course I'm biased. :)

That said, I think Jane Eyre is...okay, I suppose. I do think the tone and plot can be a bit uneven, though I like it okay. I just didn't connect with it as much.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
You should read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys. She wanted Bertha's story so she wrote it. I had to read it in college but I thought it was very good and reading it I had to find out what happened in Jane Eyre.

Heh, I read it and loved it. But, yeah, depressing. (I haven't read much else by Jean Rhys, but from the shorts I read I suppose that's her general mood.)

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, Jane Eyre is a favorite of mine. I just recently watched the most recent movie.

I'm probably going to read it again myself, once I finish the book I'm reading now, just because I find it to be exquisite. I haven't read Wuthering Heights, but now that you remind me of its existence, I might just add it to my download list.

EDIT: Read Pride and Prejudice, though. It's wonderful.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
But I've tried twice to read past the first thirty pages of WH and couldn't. Maybe I'll try a third time....

... the novel starts off at a slow pace, but picks up steam.
So you may want to stick it out next time ;-)

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read either since high school, which is about 15 years. I remember enjoying both. I really should reread both. Then I will come back and vote.

Reaction score
Nearly finished JE. Would have been done with it by now if it weren't for my weekend migraine, but I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around.

I see more layers of wit in Rochester's speech, and I can admire Jane even if she is more than a little priggish at times.

However, I still maintain there is no way Rochester is a romantic hero. He's a potential bigamist for God's sake, though I can understand why he acted the way he did.

Bronte's use of coincidence really rips my nips. Not only the "Why, St John -- we're related!" nonsense, but how Mason found out about the upcoming wedding. He just happened to be in Madeira when Jane wrote to her uncle, and was present when said uncle opened the letter and oh my word! He's the mad woman's brother, one of only two people in the world to know about his pre-existing marriage!

:rolleyes:

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
No, but seriously -- I hate the book, but it's a curiously enjoyable hatred. A guilty pleasure? Who knows?

And I just thought it would be fun to see which book is favoured by AWers. Not to debate the merits of which is best (clearly WH:D), just to tot up totals in a poll.

I prefer Jane Eyre, but I think I'd better go re-read them both.

Reaction score
This afternoon I finished JE -- would've been a lot sooner but for a recent period of illness.

I still dislike the book for all the reasons already stated, but I 'get' more of the subtleties of Rochester's character these days, and actually laughed out loud at some instances of his sarcasm.

Maybe it was because I was ill last time I read the book. Not completely with it!

But my God; St John, you pompous git. Was he really that bad first time round?

I'm already 100 pages into Wuthering Heights. I knew this book would be a quicker read because I like it more.