Writing Playlist?

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 300 pages into my novel, and I've listened to Avenues by Whiskeytown the whole way through. I believe my Itunes has the play count at 300 something lol. Anyways, does anyone else have a certain song/playlist on when they write?

Ovid9

Professional Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Lately I've been listening to lots of doom metal/stoner rock. (Not a smoker, just like the music.)

Sleep's- Dopesmoker
Shrinebuilder
Black Pyramid
Electric Wizard

All have been in heavy rotation lately. The repetitive droning stuff just sort of gets me in a zone.

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
I try to listen to stuff that isn't too heavy on the lyrics. Movie scores are good (Dark Knight, Kick-Ass, Let the Right One In, etc.). I've been listening to Puscifer, some old Morrissey, The Cure, Blue October, plus some indecipherable metal music.

Andain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurahardgrave.blogspot.com
Game soundtracks and movie soundtracks work best for me, also trance/electronic/chillout. Certain scenes need mood music!

I can write to vocal stuff sometimes, but I really do think I do my best writing with the appropriate instrumentals.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to movie soundtracks too. I'm listening to the music from Kindom of Heaven right now.

Oh, and Mahler's second symphony works really well too. Classical music in general gives me the right feeling, I suppose. I've listened to Tosca for more than six months before it's power ran out.

chickenrising

Registered
Reaction score
Van Morrison seems to provide a lot of creativity for me. His songs have a jazzy pace to write to, too.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've used playlists for the last 2 novels and 1 movie (all sadly unfinished).

UF novel - Chalice and Cradle Of Filth
Movie - All the female-vocals bands I had on my computer at the time
Contemporary F novel - All the female-vocals metal bands on my computer.

Yeah, I write a lot of women-centric fiction. :)

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I love music, but I can't listen to it when I write. It either blocks out the writing or becomes a background irritant. I do love the sound of typewriter keys, though.

RPecha

Registered
Reaction score
I have just realized how amazing writing to a combination of Kamelot, ISIS, Sunn 0))), TOOL and Symphony X is. I think I need to make a separate writing playlist now. Prog-metal, Post-metal and Avant-garde all the way.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I usually listen to the same song over and over for the length of the writing session. I always thought I was weird for doing that. :D

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score
I usually listen to the same song over and over for the length of the writing session. I always thought I was weird for doing that. :D

I run and write like this. I'll loop a song for an entire 5k. I'm more of a folksy/indie person when it comes to music. Have you listened to Metric? They're less folksy and more indie rock, and I love their lead (Emily Haines). Other than that, Fleet Foxes. If "White Winter Hymnal" doesn't get you reeled into their music, it might not be for you.

Liz_cm

New, but ready and revving to go
Registered
Reaction score
It seems for my current WIP project I've been listening to a lot of Quebec based bands like Catherine Major, Karkwa, Amelie Veille, and Daniel Belanger I don't know why since I'm not French-Canadian or French in general.

For my middle grade book a lot of Cirque Du Soleil Soundtracks, as well as Phantom of the Opera, Bat for Lashes, and Voltaire.

Each novel I write seems to have it's own playlist.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
Everything I write has it's own. Right now, 3 Days Grace's album One-X has become my go-to inspiration music for this werewolf story, possibly series I'm working on.
"Animal I Have Become" is the theme song.
"It's All Over", "Never Too Late" and "Get Out Alive" are the other 3 main songs, but the whole album is great.

I get a lot of inspiration from Country music, too.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Omnipony.
Some lil Wayne (yeah, I said Lil Wayne)
Some Game BGMs. [Pandemonium, FF9]
Biometix.
DJ Bjra [Bee-ra, like Bjork. You know. Bee-ork]
ParagonX9
Flash game BGM [Enigmata, the first one.]
Beats Antique
Some Sonic 3 & Knucles
Savant

And others.

Bellydancing, dupstep, game, jazz, hip-hop, rap, RnB, classical/instrumental, New age, mood/atmospheric, and a splash of folk/country music tends to influence my WIPs.

TKoE is a mash of dubstep, bellydancing, new age, atmospheric music and game BGMs. It would be your typical fantasy story on horseback... except that it takes place to

Stuff like the Omnipony.

I swear. Science-fantasy ftw.

smellycat6464

Registered
Reaction score
two steps from hell makes great epic music, it really helps create the mood for, well, epicness, or whatever it is that I strive to become :)

EmilyR

Registered
Reaction score

I do this too. I find if I switch songs I start paying attention to the music instead of what I'm doing. If I find that I can't get past a point, usually a change in song works. If you're weird, so am I. :p