• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Harvey Klinger, Inc

Reaction score
Hi all,
emoticonhi.gif

I was wonder if anybody has heard anything bad or good about this Literary Agency? Here's the website if anyone would care to take a look, and let me know what you think.

www.harveyklinger.com/index.cfm

smile.gif

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Publisher's Marketplace lists sixteen books in various genres sold by this agency in the past six months. That's pretty darn good! The most prolific agents seem to be:

Sara Crowe
Andrea Somberg
Nikki Van De Car
and of course, Harvey Klinger personally.

It seems that Harvey does the "significant deals" in the agency (defined by PM as $250,000-$500,000).

Query away! :D

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
A good friend of mine is repped by Harvey, and I have personal experience with Andrea. My friend is thrilled with him, and I have such respect and admiration for her. This is a terrific agency -- they have the connections, the sales, and the clout. I highly recommend it.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a manuscript under review with Andrea Somberg at the moment. To date she has been very prompt and businesslike in her dealings with me and I would be delighted if she were to offer representation.

peisenberg

Harvey Klinger Agency

I used Harvey Klinger for my last book, published by Morrow. I went to high school with Harvey a zillion years ago, and when I contacted him he graciously agreed to work with me. He worked hard on getting me a good deal, and his agency is honest and accurate with its accounting and payments. I have only the highest regard for his agency. Unfortunately, he chose not to represent me on my next book.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Andrea Somberg, previously an agent at Vigliano Associates and the Don Maass Agency, joined Harvey Klinger Inc. in the spring of 2005. She handles both fiction and non-fiction, including literary, commercial, young adult, genre (romance, mystery, sf/fantasy) memoir, pop-culture, how-to, self-help, humor, interior design, cookbooks, and health & fitness.

Harvey Klinger, Inc. began as a one-man, one office literary agency in October, 1977. Over the years, it has grown and expanded, and is widely recognized as among the top boutique literary agencies in the publishing industry.

Publishers Marketplace

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I got a rejection from Harvey Klinger, but they were very courteous and professional. I think it was one of the other agents who rejected me, and not Andrea Somberg. They are a legitimate agency.

Apryl

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
She reps Justine Musk, and she sent me a really warm, friendly reject after seeing my first five pages. So warm and friendly it made me really regret the reject, because she came off as being a great person to work with.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Andrea Somberg read the full manuscript of my fantasy novel and said many good things about it. She ultimately passed, but I got the impression we came pretty close to doing business. She was courteous and professional throughout and I would have been very happy to work with her.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
I would just like to reiterate that Ms. Somberg seems a gem of an agent. She read my full within a month and gave me personalized comments in her rejection. Her kindness was a double-edged sword: it made me feel better about the rejection, but also made me regret her pass even more. I think she really takes that extra step for her clients.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
She rejected me very nicely as well, but I e-mailed her back asking if she would like to read it again after some rewrites, and she said yes, so at least there's that.

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Same as everyone else above said. She responded to my NF proposal within one week and said she really appreciated my patience while waiting for a response. (Did you hear that, you agents who have said nothing for 3 months?!!) She gave compliments, helpful comments, and left me feeling like I had been rejected by a class act. *Sighs*

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add to the chorus of appreciation for Ms. Somberg's consideration. She rejected me (rightfully so, I might add) back in January. She was very nice and personal in her e-mail. I'm seriously thinking of querying her again now that there have been major revisions.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Andrea Somberg

Just FYI, I sent an e-mail query to Andrea. She passed on my project, but responded with a polite e-mail in less than 24 hours.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I sent an email query to Andrea and she passed as well.

Then I realized Sara Crowe was a better fit and queried her. She requested the full, read it overnight and offered representation the next day. I have a couple other offers to consider, but she's been fantastic so far.

I emailed a couple of her clients who were thrilled with her, and Harvey Klinger in general.

Saundra Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saundramitchell.com
I'm repped by Sara and I couldn't be happier. She's brisk, efficient, always has time to answer questions, and she works hard to get a really fantastic deal. In three months, she sold my "difficult-to-sell, quiet" YA novel (forthcoming Feb 2009 from Delacorte!), and made a fantastic deal that maintained foreign rights for her to sell later- which she specialized in before she became a regular literary agent. I love her, and I couldn't recommend her more.

Last edited:

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Thanks Saundra. Ben Dolnick and Jonathan Maberry both gave her glowing recommends as well. It's going to be a tough decision choosing which agent to go with.

JeffBrailey

Andrea Somberg

I met Andrea at the Pikes Peak Writers Conference in Colorado Springs last month. Although I didn't get to know her as well as a couple of the other agents whose workshops I attended, she responded positively to a query I sent her Sunday and has asked to see the first five pages of my manuscript. After about 50 mostly courteous and helpful rejections, her reply was an oasis in a desert of denials. I'll let you all know how it goes.

If you want to follow my quest to get my book published, check out http://novemberghosts.blogspot.com

VictoriaLambert

One of the Fabled Mists
Registered
Reaction score
This agent is extremely well-mannered! I sent her a query and she requested the first few pages of my ms within 24 hrs. She ultimately passed on my work, but she was very classy about it and even responded twice to my subsequent inquiries. ;)

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
She requested the full from me a little over a month ago, and I've got my fingers crossed. I've been extremely impressed with everything I've seen from her.