Beginner: Do I start with knitting or crocheting?

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
I've been doing embroidery for years now and would like to move on to a new hobby for the winter. My main goal is to make hats, scarfs and blankets, but I can't decide if it would be best to start knitting or learning to crochet.

I plan on teaching myself with books and internet websites- do any of you have advice on which would be best to learn first? I do best when I focus solely on learning one single new task at a time and then move on after I'm comfortable with the technique and movements.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For hats or scarves, either knitting or crocheting works well.

If you want to make blankets, I'd highly suggest crocheting since it's really hard to get needles big enough to hold a blanket, or even a reasonable section of a blanket.

It really is up to you, if you want to stick with a single hand active or two hands active. I learned both about the same time as a child and it wasn't confusing because the motions are so different.

Good luck and have fun with it. :D

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I started with crochet when I was 7 and learned knitting just recently (maybe a year and a half or two years ago). Knowing crochet helped me a lot with learning to knit, since I already knew how to count stitches and "read" my work, handle yarn, figure gauge, read patterns, etc., but I imagine it would work the other way around too.

But I liked learning crochet first for other reasons, such as having only one live stitch at any time and the (relatively) instant gratification. Crochet goes fast, especially in-the-round projects like hats where you don't have to work into a chain.

I truly love both crafts and I hope you will too, whichever you decide to learn first. They're so much fun and there's always something new to learn or discover about each of them, when you're ready for it. Good luck with it, and have fun!

P.S. If you haven't already, get thee to Ravelry. ;)

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
I also learned how to do both when I was a kid and they are easy to learn. I’d suggest trying both to see which one you like the best. I completely agree with learning one at a time but the basics for knitting and crocheting are simple enough for trial purposes.

You might want to consider picking up a ball of yarn, pair of knitting needles and a crochet hook at a local craft store; these supplies would probably cost around ten dollars. I would suggest purchasing medium to large sized needles and hook; they make larger stitches that are easier to see.

There are tons of YouTube videos out there for beginners. I think a scarf is a great beginner project. You don’t have to worry about increasing, decreasing, dropping or adding stitches.

Good luck and have fun.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I taught myself to crochet many years ago. Tried my hand at knitting and my favorite of the two is crochet.

You can turn out an object so much faster. I enjoy it so much more. Makes no difference if it is a small item or large. Have done both. I could turn out a full size blanket in just a couple of days.

Best wishes. :D

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks :) I think I'll pop by the local Michael's later and just pick up both needles and decide from there. Most of my problem is that I tend to go off on my own path instead of following patterns (that's why I like embroidery- I can do my own thing.)

I've also been making handmade rosaries for years and am used to the little details of chaining. Hopefully that experience will come in handy.

Confession- I really LOVE little croched dolls/animals/random objects. It would be fun to make holiday decorations or just ransom things like this:

cute-kawaii-stuff-snuggle-bee.jpg

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I learned to crochet as a kid - my mom did it. But I wasn't any good at it (kept pulling the stitches too tight and everything curled up as a result.)

I taught myself to knit about 4 years ago - and everyone around me has an afghan to show for it. :D I did an Irish fisherman sweater-style blanket for my MIL that took me about a year (you knit individual panels, then sew them together) but it's the nicest thing I've ever knitted. Circular needles are key for things like blankets. I've done hats and scarves (not brave enough to try sweaters yet), but blankets are my favorite thing to knit. I'm running out of people to give them to.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i'm just here because i'm following nina around. :D

:idea:

actually, i might mention this,...

aw's own k1p1 (maggie) might be a good place to start!!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks :) I think I'll pop by the local Michael's later and just pick up both needles and decide from there. Most of my problem is that I tend to go off on my own path instead of following patterns (that's why I like embroidery- I can do my own thing.)

I've also been making handmade rosaries for years and am used to the little details of chaining. Hopefully that experience will come in handy.

Confession- I really LOVE little croched dolls/animals/random objects. It would be fun to make holiday decorations or just ransom things like this:

cute-kawaii-stuff-snuggle-bee.jpg
Lion Yarn has some great beginner's kits to make simple projects, like a hat or a scarf. You get everything you need in them and those are probably your best bet to try your hand. They also have pages on how to knit and crochet, plus a HUGE online library of free patterns (registration free, but required).

http://www.lionbrand.com

I taught myself how to crochet when I was about 13 or 14 years old. I later tried knitting but couldn't quite get the hang of it, so I stuck with crochet. There's plenty of room to improvise in either, so have fun with it.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to go off on my own path instead of following patterns (that's why I like embroidery- I can do my own thing.)
When you've got the basics down, you can try freeform crochet, which is crocheting whatever your heart desires, patternless. Different stitches next to each other however you please, change yarns whenever you want, stab your hook in places all the learn-how instructions tell you not to, go off in weird directions. I don't know if there's such a thing as freeform knitting, but there might be.

I'm much better with a pattern I can mod or not as I choose; I stink at freeform crochet and find it...not stressful exactly, but definitely not relaxing. But other people love it.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I have done both, and enjoy both. I'd go with the folks who suggest learning crochet first, for all the reasons they mention, but it really doesn't matter.

Just don't crochet anything like the items on this site:

What Not to Crochet (Warning: Not always safe for work or the kiddies...) :D

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I do both. The beauty of crochet is that it grows darned fast and needs fewer needles of different sizes.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I learned to knit during a lunch hour a few years ago. One of my colleagues knitted every day at lunch. It was easy to pick up the basics.

I never moved far beyond the basics, though. I made several scarves that year for Christmas gifts, and haven't done any knitting since.

I'd like to learn to crochet. I think I'd like it better.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think both are going to be learned in time, but after an hour in the craft store I think it would be nice to have somoene show me rather than try to learn from one of those books. There are so many different size needles and designs... it was a bit intimidating, TBH.

Scarves would be a wonderful Christmas present. I have a favorite rainbow knitted one that I got years back and its better than any I've ever found in a store. :)

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Abielle.

I can crochet (though been told I hold the hook wrong) and have started doing fancier patterns -- more than just the basic single and double crochets.-- but haven't learned to knit yet.
I do much better with a visual instruction to start out with.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
One of the girls doing NaNo in my town works at Michaels. She actually teaches crocheting and knitting classes so I'm going to have her teach me. :D

If any of you are still checking this thread, I'd love to see some projects you've done if you've posted them elsewhere on this form or if you'd like to post your pictures.

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolethegeek.blogspot.com
Just flogging a dead horse... err.. thread here...

I taught myself to both crochet and knit from books. I have never been able to view videos on YouTube, so that was useless, but the videos on knittinghelp.com were extremely helpful for me with specifics like kitchener/ grafting.

If you are someone that needs "someone to show you how", I strongly suggest joining Ravelry and seeking out SnB groups in your area. It's a great way to meet others, as well as get help from them in learning.

IMNSHO, crocheting is much faster to complete a project and has a less steep learning curve than knitting. What did you end up doing after all?

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I ended up learning knitting and am doing pretty well so far. A friend has been showing me the basics (pearling is our next lesson). Its a wee bit hard learning at her place though... there are certain... distractions. :)

This is the start of my first project from my first lesson a few weeks ago. The cat is Severus. Yes, he makes evil look cute. He kept attacking my needles and yarn until I put it down, then he calmed down. (The blanket in the background is what my friend was knitting. I can't wait to get to that level!)

000000-1.jpg

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Knitting!

But I admit, I only say that because I do both and I prefer knitting. My philosophy is to always start with the harder one...for example, my children will learn to drive a standard before they drive automatic, and they learn to tell time on an analog watch for a year or two before they can "graduate" to digital. Knitting is harder in the beginning, but so worth it. Crocheting is fun too, but if I had to pick one...

Knitting!

P.S. Another vote for Ravelry.com!

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolethegeek.blogspot.com
We have a kitten that I not-so-affectionately refer to as Crack Kitty who thinks that my yarn has been put on this earth simply to amuse her. Our other cat, whom we've had for about 6-7 years now, can't be bothered to waste the energy to go after my stuff... he saves it for the mice, birds, and moles around here!

I'm glad to see that you've gotten started, and would love to hear updates as your lessons progress.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
My cats don't understand why I get to play with the shiny sticks and the pretty string and they don't. :tongue