2 Broke Girls

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Is anybody watching this? I initially tuned in because I like Kat Dennings and have known folks who were servers, so thought I might get the humor.

A lot of jokes are much more crass than I'm used to seeing on television, and at times, I'm somewhat shocked by what made it onto the show, but still I think it's hilarious.

Anyone else have thoughts on the show?

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
one of the only good shows to be introduced this season imo.

and i started to watch it for kat dennings as well. what a bombshell.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
My wife and I are watching it. We like it, but both agree that some of the jokes are forced--just there to either fill space or just be crass for the sake of being crass. I think it has a lot of potential and I'm curious to see where it's going.

My qualms, though, include:

The horse. Is it really legal to keep a horse in your backyard (in a rental, no less) in New York City? Also, it would ease their financial burden if they sold the horse.

The "total" tallied at the end of each episode. They seem to be assuming that 100% of the girls' paychecks/tips are going toward their cupcake store goal. I think it's great they have a goal and I do hope they make it there one day. But they're living on slave wages and have to pay rent, utilities, etc. More realistically, they might be able to save only ten or fifteen percent of each day's wages toward their goal.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So far it's pretty good. There's heart at its core and the blonde socialite is not dumb. Both these make a difference.

Last edited:

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of them counting the money at the end, but I agree with underthecity. Are they really tallying up everything they make? And the idea of keeping the horse in the backyard seems a little like animal abuse. It's NYC and people bitch about everything. One of the neighbors would've already reported it.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are watching it. We like it, but both agree that some of the jokes are forced--just there to either fill space or just be crass for the sake of being crass. I think it has a lot of potential and I'm curious to see where it's going.

The horse. Is it really legal to keep a horse in your backyard (in a rental, no less) in New York City? Also, it would ease their financial burden if they sold the horse.

The "total" tallied at the end of each episode. They seem to be assuming that 100% of the girls' paychecks/tips are going toward their cupcake store goal. I think it's great they have a goal and I do hope they make it there one day. But they're living on slave wages and have to pay rent, utilities, etc. More realistically, they might be able to save only ten or fifteen percent of each day's wages toward their goal.

I like it. The brunette is funny. The blonde not so much, but they've been adding a bit of depth to her character which helps. They have a nice friendship going. And really poor people are not that often presented in a realistic or dignified or positive light on tv, so yay. Yeah, it makes no sense for them to keep a horse. It's a sitcom, though. They need the poop jokes.

Their "total" is what they can save, I think it's meant to be mostly just profits from the sale of their cupcakes, it's not their total wages and tips. Since blonde character started selling the cupcakes for $7 a pop, it makes sense that they would have a few hundred dollars profit per week. If they don't spend it on something humorous :D

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
If they don't spend it on something humorous :D
A poop caddie?

But I'm enjoying the show. I watched the first coupla episodes of this, Whitney, The New girl and Up All Night. Whitney fell first, then Up All Night. I like the guys in New Girl so I'll keep watching that, and I like both the girls in this show so I'll probably stick with it as well.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I think it has been a fun watch so far. Nice concept. I will keep watching. :D

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
i'm assuming the total is what they save. the last episode went over the course of a week and they saved what, a couple hundred? if both of them are only making $100 a week, they should probably file some charges for unlawful wages.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
It's okay, not my favorite show this season and I probably won't stick with it. I think too many of the jokes rely on sexual innuendo and only the brunette girl is funny.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I wondered this, too. Is it legal? Also, does it make sense?

I watched this show once to check it out. I wasn't that thrilled about it.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
i'm assuming the total is what they save. the last episode went over the course of a week and they saved what, a couple hundred? if both of them are only making $100 a week, they should probably file some charges for unlawful wages.

I agree. It's not enough to equal what they would earn at a restaurant with tips (plus, Max babysits and Caroline once mentioned the idea of getting a second job when referring to their final goal, which would boost their day-to-day earnings for things like rent, food and utilities).

I wondered this, too. Is it legal? Also, does it make sense?

I expect this will be explored in a future episode. We've already seen the restaurant owner complaining about Max dumping Chestnut's droppings in the dumpster behind the restaurant. It's just a matter of time before someone reports it.

Last edited:

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to like it but I found it kind of dull. Too predictable. I like Kat Dennings but she's not that great an actress to me. She's kind of the same character in every role she's in. That gets old after awhile.

cornie

I'm a sucker for love stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalschubert.com
I wanted to like it but I found it kind of dull. Too predictable. I like Kat Dennings but she's not that great an actress to me. She's kind of the same character in every role she's in. That gets old after awhile.

I agree with this. My husband loves Kat Dennings--but neither of us could get into the show. The humor is too predictable, and the premise has been done to death.

The way I tend to decide if I'm going to stick with a half-hour comedy is whether the show can make me laugh out loud at least once. This one didn't do it. However, Whitney (which shares writers with 2 Broke Girls, I think), did make me laugh. I didn't even expect to like that one.

davem

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I had to watch this show last week and it was painful. Just quick, horrible, predictable, unfunny jokes for 30 minutes.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
I'm enjoying it, almost against my will, because a big chunk of it is very formulaic. But despite that, I find it has heart. Even their asian boss.

Sitcom-world is not really our world. As ever, the apartment is much too big (those places in Friends would have been condos worth a quarter million dollars each) and certain realities are just tossed aside for the sake of gags. Free clinics are not quite such hellholes. No, you would not be allowed to keep a horse. But 'tis a sitcom, where severe head trauma means unconsciousness and maybe amnesia at worst, while blatant incompetence never gets you fired nor does mouthing off to customers. Like iambic pentameter in Shakespeare and the amazing small town murder rates on detective shows--it is part of the stylization (usually).

BTW, I haven't seen this much femmslash subtext since Xena!

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying the show, I find it quite funny. Probably my favourite thing about it is the fact that Caroline (the blonde) is actually smart, completely the opposite of what you would expect. She's business-educated, knows her math, and is a responsible human being, rather than your (falsley) stereotypical idiot-blonde immature/irresponsible socialite party girl. Together they have goals which have nothing to do with dating/love. To me it's pretty "girl power" I guess, which is a nice change (especially when one of the biggest sitcoms on air revolves almost completely around a couple of men and endless hoardes of objectified women....cough cough)

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten my sister into this show, I'm sure of it!
I've been enjoying it since the pilot episode. The one little problem I've had with the show, though, is the amount of puns and what have you thrown out by Max...just too many, but otherwise I do like it.

Diane Amy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Read the show has already been renewed. I'm glad.

I'm glad too! I find that when the two girls are together and throwing good-hearted barbs at each other, it is very much like how people talk in real life. The constant sparring and banter seems real... at least for me living in NY it does.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone on the show asked Caroline why she doesn't take her fancy Vassar business degree that she's always bringing up and get a better job? I realize what her father did, but Channing isn't the most unusual name out there, so she could lie about being related to him. Or change her last name.