A boost for MTS-ers: a new imprint

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I saw this a few days ago and it heartened me, in terms of the market for MTS. An existing publisher, albeit small, opening up an imprint for the likes of us.

"Prometheus Books has announced the launch of Seventh Street Books, a new mystery and thriller imprint, with titles expected in fall/winter 2012–2013." Here's the story in PW.

My agent has subbed my MSS to them, and she tells me their advances are decent and she has high regard for the distribution and cover art of the parent company, Pometheus. My fingers are crossed, but I think this is good news for all of us.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, Mark. I shall share this with my MTS group.

Maryn, tipping her hat

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mark! Great news. Good luck with your submission!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. I reserve judgment till we see whether they buy your ms. If they do, we'll know they're of the highest caliber. :)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Good luck with the sub, Mark, and thanks for sharing.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck from me, too! :D

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a good thing whenever I hear about any imprint coming up with an excuse to print more books. :D

And good luck Mark! ;)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your submission.

alaktas

Registered
Reaction score
Per their website, Seventh Street Books, they request the full manuscript to be e-mailed to them.

Does anyone find this a bit strange? Typically, an author sends the first 25-50 pages to an agent/publisher and if they like what they read, then they request for the full manuscript.
But SSB is requesting the entire manuscript upfront and I'm a bit hesitant in sending my entire MS to an unknown person who at least didn't see a "preview" of my work first.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
That does sound odd. Do you have an agent who could run interference for you, or at least advise you?

alaktas

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not have a literary agent.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys, OP here. SSB has published all five of my novels, a sixth coming in September. They've had half a dozen novels nominated for Edgar awards and are now distributed by Penguin/Random House.

Which is to say: don't worry. They are one of the few houses to take non-agented submissions, so don't let this concern slow you down. Dan Mayer reads ALL the submissions and I imagine he's just trying to save himself time. In other words, if he likes your first 25 pages, he then has to email you and maybe wait a week for you to reply (you're on vacation in Italy, you're sick in bed etc) for the rest of your awesome novel. This way, he has it all and can read it all if he wants, or delete if he doesn't like it.

Is there some specific worry you have? If it's that there's a risk your mss will be somehow misappropriated, please fear not. This is a professional (and now very well respected) small publishing house. If there are other questions, please post them and I'll do my best to answer them.

vagough

Traveling down the Query Road...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
goughpubs.wordpress.com
Very helpful info, Mark -- thanks. The fact that SSB has published your books speaks volumes about their quality.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can only speak regarding Mark's books. The physical books are lovely. Trade paper, great covers, quality all around. Haven't read any of their other authors.

MM

Melville

Reader first, writer second
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of publishing houses list their word count parameters -- does anyone know what this is for SSB? They may have it on their website but I missed it -- thanks!

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
A couple of publishing houses list their word count parameters -- does anyone know what this is for SSB? They may have it on their website but I missed it -- thanks!

Melville, I'm not aware of any specific parameters. Most of their books seem to be in the 75-95k range but I doubt they'd ding you for some variance from that.

noveler7

Registered
Reaction score
Just checked them out. Looks like a rare opportunity!

BJ Bourg

Flash Bang Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bjbourg.com
Per their website, Seventh Street Books, they request the full manuscript to be e-mailed to them.

Does anyone find this a bit strange? Typically, an author sends the first 25-50 pages to an agent/publisher and if they like what they read, then they request for the full manuscript.
But SSB is requesting the entire manuscript upfront and I'm a bit hesitant in sending my entire MS to an unknown person who at least didn't see a "preview" of my work first.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I don't find it strange at all. My novels are being published by two publishers, Amber Quill Press and Five Star (Gale/Cengage), and I submitted my full manuscripts to each of them. I prefer this approach, because it streamlines the process and reduces the wait time for me. It's certainly no indication that something shady is amiss. :)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know the turnaround time for submissions to this publisher?