The Magicians and Mrs. Quent by Galen Beckett

LauraAnnSwanson

Oracle of Poultry
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraannswanson.com
Hello all.
I am losing my mind trying to remember the name of a novel I read several years ago.
I believe it was published in 2007ish, and the cover had alot of similarities to THIS ONE .

Three daughters, all with flower names, raised in middle class of a world where magic had died or had something to do with an evil magical wood. She is a bookworm and falls for a boy out of her league, and her father is crazy and lives in the attic.

Somehow she ends up marrying an older man with a manor outside of the town to support her mother and sisters since their house passed to the next in the family for financial reasons. I remember something about her finding magic in herself and saving children from the woods or something, and then for some reason she goes back to town because her father got committed to an asylum.

At the end of the book she saves everyone with some kind of mirror thing in an old house she used to live in.

My memory is terrible, so I might be wrong on some of the details, but it is driving me batty.

Anyone venture a guess???

LauraAnnSwanson

Oracle of Poultry
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraannswanson.com
Oh! I remember on particular scene at the beginning where the girls have several young gentlemen over and they are reading a play out loud as entertainment.
They have a scatterbrained servant who instead of putting butter on the cucumber sandwiches, puts thin slices of soap.

*sigh* Anyone??

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Laura, I don't know it, but I've had excellent luck with the Booksleuth feature on AbeBooks. Be as specific as you can in the title of your post, and give those odd details (the soap sandwiches). Good luck!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just so you know, I'm starting to obsess about this book of yours, Laura... Don't forget to come back and post the title, ok?

LauraAnnSwanson

Oracle of Poultry
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraannswanson.com
Ok, got the title! Callalily's suggestion was spot on, I posted a Q last night and this morning I woke up to an answer!

It was..... (drumroll , please)

The Magician's and Mrs. Quent

Now I can stop pulling my nonexistent hair out. :D (chemo humor)