What in your opinion is the most overrated novel ever written

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwaysinspired

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this subject has already been covered in the past. I'm curious to know what you feel is the most overrated novel ever written. Why is it your choice? I'll start.

The Great Gatsby. Now, I know there will be people that will want to debate me on this, but hear me out. I chose it, because before I read it I had such high expectations. Upon completing it, those expectations were not met. Yes, it was a good read, but I wouldn't call it a "masterpiece," nor would I say that F. Scott Fitzgerald was a genius for writing it. It's interesting, because I know several people who are avid readers and they shared the same opinion as I did about the book.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Lol! My first thought was The Great Gatsby. When I read it the first time I was highly unimpressed, but I've seen so many people put it on the list of best novels of all time that it always makes me kind of raise an eyebrow and think "Reaaaally?"

That being said, I do plan to go back and read it again and see if I still feel that way. I might have just not understood it the first time around. It's entirely possible that the book really is sheer brilliance and I just wasn't quite at a level to appreciate that yet when I read it.

Alwaysinspired

Registered
Reaction score
Lol! My first thought was The Great Gatsby. When I read it the first time I was highly unimpressed, but I've seen so many people put it on the list of best novels of all time that it always makes me kind of raise an eyebrow and think "Reaaaally?"

That being said, I do plan to go back and read it again and see if I still feel that way. I might have just not understood it the first time around. It's entirely possible that the book really is sheer brilliance and I just wasn't quite at a level to appreciate that yet when I read it.

I thought that too when I first read it, so I went back several months ago and read it again. I realized my first impression was right. LOL

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'd choose Lord of the Rings. I only made it through the first 50 pages of the first book because it was the worst example of pointless info-dumping I've ever seen in a published novel. I guess it explains why so many newbie fantasy writers think they should discuss every single little thing about their world in the first few chapters, though.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I love The Great Gatsby. You two are obviously wrong. Chasing the Horizon is also wrong about The Lord of the Rings. Sigh.

;)

My choice for most overrated novel is one that's recently been released, and its author is very much alive, so I think I'll pass on this question.

Overrated dead authors? Hmmm. I just keep thinking of more overrated live authors. :D

Last edited:

Alwaysinspired

Registered
Reaction score
I love The Great Gatsby. You two are obviously wrong. Chasing the Horizon is also wrong about The Lord of the Rings. Sigh.

;)

My choice for most overrated novel is one that's recently been released, and its author is very much alive, so I think I'll pass on this question.

Overrated dead authors? Hmmm. I just keep thinking of more overrated live authors. :D

You're entitled to love it, just like I'm entitled not to :) You know the old saying opinions are like *ssholes, we all have one. I don't blame you for not wanting to mention someone's novel if the author is still living :)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Well...there's one book that jumps immediately to mind. Hint: it involves vampires.

The one by a dead guy would have to be Moby Dick. Half the book was giant descriptions of whale parts and what they do with them once the whale is dead! If I wanted to learn about that, I would have read a book about it...a non-fiction one.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I'd choose Lord of the Rings. I only made it through the first 50 pages of the first book because it was the worst example of pointless info-dumping I've ever seen in a published novel. I guess it explains why so many newbie fantasy writers think they should discuss every single little thing about their world in the first few chapters, though.

You read fifty pages out of just over one thousand and on that alone you make a decision that the book is over rated? There may be an 'info dump' a the start of the book - but there is much more to it than that. Mind, I always skip the songs - they really are bad!

I honestly can't think of a book that I would think of as over rated - though I probably will in the middle of the night!

Ashes Oh Ashes

Honest, not Harsh
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blogofron.com
A book about vampires. *Ehem*. That's just my opinion though.

As for Lord of the Rings...What?!?! The story might be the single best ever written. While his writing bored me at times, the sheer power behind the narrative left me wondering what I'd do with myself post-reading. :)

nchahine

Something should go here...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
noorachahine.wordpress.com

Let me guess: it starts with a 'T' and ends with a 't'.

Honestly, I was expecting more hate for everyone's favorite YA vampire author. Everyone's pretty tame today. :D

Reaction score
Yup. This, to the letter.
You read fifty pages out of just over one thousand and on that alone you make a decision that the book is over rated? There may be an 'info dump' a the start of the book - but there is much more to it than that. Mind, I always skip the songs - they really are bad!
I read nearly four times as much and still think it was over-rated.

Yes, there's an info-dump at the start of the book. And probably all the way through it for all I know. But if people don't like info-dumps -- and we're constantly warned against them -- they're not going to read any further.

It doesn't matter if the rest of the book is spectacular. If you can't get past the info-dump, you're never going to know.

And the fact you skip bits says a lot.
As for Lord of the Rings...What?!?! The story might be the single best ever written. While his writing bored me at times, the sheer power behind the narrative left me wondering what I'd do with myself post-reading. :)
If writing bores me I don't carry on reading. I don't give a damn about the story if the writing isn't there and I don't see why readers should have to choose. Writing or story? I want both.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Let me guess: it starts with a 'T' and ends with a 't'.

Honestly, I was expecting more hate for everyone's favorite YA vampire author. Everyone's pretty tame today. :D
For all its problems (and I could recite them chapter and verse) that particular book was quite readable, at least.

Reaction score
I think any book becomes overrated when it's hyped rather than read.

There are so many books which people praise and don't dare criticise -- take for example Pride and Prejudice. I've read it twice. But there are probably people out there who are put off by the constant praise and hype it gathers. Certain books have a reputation rather than a readership and I can understand why that alone would put people off reading them.

It becomes a bit Emperor's-New-Clothes where people don't dare develop their own opinion of a book for fear the chattering masses will shoot them down for daring to say "Hang on, the emperor has no clothes on!"

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since the question is about overrated books, not necessarily bad books, LoTR would probably be on my list as well. And maybe Catcher in the Rye.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com

I honestly can't think of a book that I would think of as over rated - though I probably will in the middle of the night!

gasp! Shock! I luv the songs!

For me, Catcher in the Rye. Read it again to give it a fresh eye - still didn't do anything for me.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't know about ever but I found Far From The Madding Crowd tedious.

Ooh, Gabriel Oak. What a meaningful name. How I will ever decipher the MASSIVELY UNSUBTLE mystery as to what it could mean?

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Crime and Punishment. I get the message being conveyed, but I just barely survived it.

Reaction score
The Da Vinci Code, all things Harry Potter, Twilight, LotR...a case could be made for all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.