A Life of Crime and Chocolate

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Oh my HJ, so sorry to hear that. Hugs to you and yours and your Gram. Wow 95 .. that is amazing. She can relax now and be able to say she lived her life well.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Logan - yeah, twice. My friend and I came up with names that we thought'd be great for detectives, one a kind of comedy noir-pastiche and the other more serious. I've written neither as of yet... ;)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:Welcome to the world of evil deeds PofP! We have a daily writing thread here in the MTS area. It's good for moral support and motivation. Right now it's Jabberwocky January,but February is almost here.

Thanks. :D Will check it out.

:hi: Princess! Welcome! What had you written previously? Let us know if we can give you any bad advice. Or good, you know, if you insist. :tongue

Ha, will do. My published fiction is mostly horror satire. A friend said she'd love to see me write an adventure story, so I'm plotting out a crazy crime novel. We'll see if it works.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Jude, I'm so sorry to hear about your Gram. :( *HUGS* I don't check this thread very often because I'd NEVER get anything else done, but I just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and your Gram.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Crazy crime novel! Woo hoo! :D

Yeah, my one-liner is in one of the other threads, but it's basically an adventure detective novel about a hypochondriac, germaphobic private detective and a female ornithologist who poisons her partner with nectar from a rhododendron.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
A call for help.

Hey everyone. I've just sent my characters to a new world that I've been dreading (a little, but not really) sending them to. The biggest problem I'm having is coming up with character names.

Here's the deal: The names translate, but not meaningfully.

My MC's name is Chip and to the people in the dimension it translates to Fragment. Likewise, the local names translate oddly in return. Here are some examples of three character names I have thus far:

Foxden Windup
Mill Bologna
Tombs Milksop

Mostly I'm looking for two paired incongruous words about 3-5 syllables. So something like "Pulchritudinous Pudding Pop" is far more silly than I'm looking for. I'm just lookng for slightly strange and no brand names. ;)

Note: It's okay that this dimension doesn't have foxes or bologna. I'm okay with that being part of why the names aren't translating well.

For as many oddly paired names as I'll need, it's tough coming up with them all on my own. Hence the call for help. If you have an inspiration or two, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Doc - shall have a think of some names. When my brain is back working! ;)

Had my first tour of the Old Town tonight, the one all the complaints usually come in about, and despite the fact it was -16C four people turned up. And I got lost. Not hopelessly lost (My boss asked if I'd done any of the tour, like I'd just been wandering vaguely around for an hour!), but I took a wrong turn, since it looked different at night time, and ended up having to walk ages to get back on track again because of it. Admitted it to the customers and made like a joke of it. Thankfully they were quite understanding. But I feel like such a turnip.

However, I also proposed that we set up a Twitter account for the company to compliment the website blog and Facebook accounts, and my boss agreed, so I am now the official Twitter type person for the company too. So far we have three followers, having been live for about an hour, and only two of those followers are me and a friend of mine! Thinking it's going to be mostly paranormal type news and stuff, with occasional news or even maybe pictures from the tours when such is available, but if anyone feels the urge, we are @McGeesPrague

efultz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I have Nutella with me tonight. Not exactly chocolate, but addicting nonetheless! I'm stealing a few minutes this evening to poke around MTS. I've had some fun (is that what you'd call it?) in QLH, but I haven't spent as much time here as I'd like. My little diva girl is now one year old...and still won't sleep or sit still. At least she loves story time.

I split her nap time between about a thousand things - writing, of course, and reading, but also working through the list of French lit (in French) and then wasting time on hold with insurance (or something else ridiculous). Anyway (nom nom Nutella), here's to being more active in MTS.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back! I saw snow! I hated it as much as I used to!

Gram is hanging in, but I was glad I got to see her.

Jude, I'm so sorry to hear about your Gram. :( *HUGS* I don't check this thread very often because I'd NEVER get anything else done, but I just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and your Gram.

Thank you. :)

Yeah, my one-liner is in one of the other threads, but it's basically an adventure detective novel about a hypochondriac, germaphobic private detective and a female ornithologist who poisons her partner with nectar from a rhododendron.

:eek: I love it.

If you have an inspiration or two, I'd love to hear your suggestions.

I like:

such a turnip

Hi all! I have Nutella with me tonight. Not exactly chocolate, but addicting nonetheless! I'm stealing a few minutes this evening to poke around MTS. I've had some fun (is that what you'd call it?) in QLH, but I haven't spent as much time here as I'd like. My little diva girl is now one year old...and still won't sleep or sit still. At least she loves story time.

I split her nap time between about a thousand things - writing, of course, and reading, but also working through the list of French lit (in French) and then wasting time on hold with insurance (or something else ridiculous). Anyway (nom nom Nutella), here's to being more active in MTS.

:hi: efultz! Good to have you! Ah, the days of wee little ones. :) Nothing like it, is there? :)

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
HJ, glad to hear your grandma is hanging in there. :)

As for the snow: Yeah well, fortunately it's a La Nina year so it's been pretty mild. Especially 14 miles south of the Mason-Dixon line. ;)

If only this global warming thing would hurry up so that I won't have to endure snow ever again, I'd be happy! :cool:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
We had a few small flurries of snow today but it's been really cold. There's a little mill stream near me called the Rokytka, really fast flowing, and this was it today;

8de43dc6500b11e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
HJ, So glad to hear your Grams is doing okay. I'm pleased you got to see her, even with the snow.

Charm is 3 weeks old on friday, that means there is only 9 and a bit weeks of waiting.
She is going to be the most spoiled little puppy dog. She already has mountainous amounts of toys and chew things.

The boys are so excited, they've practicing to clean up all their toys so puppy Charm doesnt eat them all, If puppy Charm eats them they ALL go in the bin. (I'm not one for empty threats :p).
It is working a treat, should have got a puppy years ago :p
I'm getting them to sit down nicely with a teddy pretending it's Charm and teaching tehm how to pat her gently, and how to behave around her ie. No running no yelling or screaming etc.

They are so excited. I'm so excited :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty, Zelenka, as long as it's in a picture!

French, that's SO sweet! She's one lucky little doggie.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Zelenka I got cold just looking at the pic! Brrrrrr

French I am almost as excited as you!

I really need some chocolate. I've just edited the programme and three of the four correction needed were to correct my name!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

:ROFL:

I really need some chocolate. I've just edited the programme and three of the four correction needed were to correct my name!

:Hug2: I hope you got that chocolate. :)

I'm not awake yet. The dog let me sleep in late (late being 6 a.m.). Gonna need more than one cup of coffee to get through the day... :e2coffee:

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a big 2L tub of icecream today - the first time in over a year (well actually I bought 2 big tubs of ice cream - call me gluttonous). Sitting down in piece and quiet with both boys sleeping, while watching a docco on Brad Pitt and eating a freakin' huge bowl of chocolate chip chocolate icecream is my idea of a relaxing evening.

Found out the other day that the breeder of puppy Charm is crate training the pups. I'd never heard of crate training before until doing some research on training dogs. I've invested in a crate for her - I dont know why it's not practiced in Australia very much, it seems like an ingenious idea.

In 3 days my lil girl will be 3 weeks old :D - Sorry Charm no chocolate for you.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we have snow now too, at least here in Libeň. Don't know what it's like in the Old Town. But I think it'll be a fairly cold tour tonight if people turn up!

On a plus side though, my boss likes the Twitter account I made for her.

efultz

Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty mild here in DC. BUT my teething one year old is about as far from mild as it gets - yikes! I wanted to pop in and say hi, but I might catch a nap while I can. I have a feeling it will be another very long night.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty mild here in DC. BUT my teething one year old is about as far from mild as it gets - yikes! I wanted to pop in and say hi, but I might catch a nap while I can. I have a feeling it will be another very long night.

:Hug2: Teething is NOT fun. I hope you're getting that nap and that you make it through the night! Here's some chocolate. ::hands out chocolate::

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Hmph! A mouse has moved into my house. Bastard critter stole my small bar of Cadbury's Milk chocolate! I left the bar on the sofa when I went to get a hot drink and when I came back the bar was on the floor, well and truly nibbled and the mousey was retreating under the sofa. Hmph.