Professional and Amateur Cover Comparison

GreenTea

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I hear a lot about amateurish and professionally designed covers and how different effect they have on buyers. It would be nice to compare actual covers (same genre, approximately similar subject/theme/idea of the book) of the two, just to get a better idea what to do and what not to do. Any ideas? Perhaps, with links to both books that are compared?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Tricky. I'm not comfortable criticizing amateur covers (done by people other than the people asking me to look at them, I mean). 1. It's too easy. 2. It's mean.

That's not to say I haven't snarked about some. It's a guilty pleasure. But it's not really helpful.

May I suggest comparing good and bad versions of professionally done covers? That way you're still bringing up points of good design without taking it out on someone powerless.

Good design is, after all, the point, and common errors can be found among professionals as well as amateurs.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
My suggestion is to use the artist for hire's portfolio as a basis for comparison. That's what it's for after all.

GreenTea

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
For example, I don't think this one is that appealing. At least, not to me. But that isn't even a self-published book. I really don't know what the publishers were thinking.

9780141198514.jpg

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Um, if you google "good bad book cover art" you can find a lot of sites to help. Not quite what you're looking for, maybe, but I found this amusing snarkfest about bad (professional) science fiction book covers.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
For example, I don't think this one is that appealing. At least, not to me. But that isn't even a self-published book. I really don't know what the publishers were thinking.

9780141198514.jpg

Anything to detract from Woolf's name would be a bad design. The simplicity and huge amount of whitespace is a good thing for sales, IMHO.

Um, if you google "good bad book cover art" you can find a lot of sites to help. Not quite what you're looking for, maybe, but I found this amusing snarkfest about bad (professional) science fiction book covers.

I love this!!!

But then I would probably cry if I ever saw one of my designs on there.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Anything to detract from Woolf's name would be a bad design. The simplicity and huge amount of whitespace is a good thing for sales, IMHO.

I love this!!!

But then I would probably cry if I ever saw one of my designs on there.

Me too, proably. OTOH, check out the good sense of humor displayed by the cover artist of "Written in Time" at the top of http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/page/35/