Unarmed, confined, nonviolent protesters maced

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Link(s) please.

That’s exactly the point, I’m afraid. By keeping these things out of the mainstream media the PTB can make it impossible for people to prove what’s happened – as if it isn’t real till it’s in the NYT.:D

The best source for the events of Saturday and Sunday (arrest of livestream media team, and the boy with concussion etc) is probably the Dissenter - try here, here, and here. The middle one is specifically devoted to the crackdown by the NYPD. If you follow the comments many of them link to twitter or to pictures and videos being posted directly from the scene. As and when online press picks up events there are links to those too.

The girl handcuffed to a chair was earlier in the week, but the pages above will give you links back to previous reports. I also posted two in the other thread.

There’s also a Twitter list there if you want to follow people directly, eg here.

There is also the official OccupyWallStreet site, but I think this is less reliable. There’s a tendency to report things when they’re still rumour – eg the report last week that Yahoo was blocking e-mails proved to be unfounded, as did the first reports of tear gas. By contrast the Dissenter site is good at correcting anything that hasn’t been confirmed.

But I expect a lot of what’s happening may never be ‘officially confirmed’, and that’s what’s most alarming. It’s also why it’s necessary for as many people as possible to watch these things live so they can be actual witnesses to what’s going on. On Saturday night a lot of what went on was being texted from phone to phone, and in some cases by good old fashioned landline. It may not show on the net but it gets things done!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's correct. Facebook has also blocked the two main organizers.
The NYPD arrested the livestream media team before they moved in for their mass arrests on Saturday and have been targeting anyone (even tourists) with cameras ever since. Control of information is all.

If you've been watching the livestream through the nights you'll have heard the CNN woman explaining apologetically that they couldn't broadcast what was happening because of 'threats of mass funding cuts'.

They didn't. Not until the foreign press got there and started exposing their inaction. Midweek a teenage girl was arrested and chained to a chair overnight for eleven hours, but the US MSM never reported it. A boy was thrown in a cell untreated for concussion after having his head smashed against a pavement by a cop, and it was only the action of international activists staying on the net all night and phoning lawyers and doctors directly in New York that got him help.

Mobile phones and the net are all we have now, but they reach around the whole bloody world.

This week resonates with the rise of Hitler in Germany on the timewave zero graph...and the beginning of the Great Depression...and I was so ready to write that shit off...

Welcome to the American Prison State. God help us all.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
My father and I have been talking about this. He has no internet and is extremely pissed off at the lack of media coverage this is getting. Not on the local news at all, and barely on the big ones like CNN and MSNBC. Makes you wonder about those trying to cover it up. And how far they will end up taking this.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
That's correct. Facebook has also blocked the two main organizers.
The NYPD arrested the livestream media team before they moved in for their mass arrests on Saturday and have been targeting anyone (even tourists) with cameras ever since. Control of information is all.

If you've been watching the livestream through the nights you'll have heard the CNN woman explaining apologetically that they couldn't broadcast what was happening because of 'threats of mass funding cuts'.

They didn't. Not until the foreign press got there and started exposing their inaction. Midweek a teenage girl was arrested and chained to a chair overnight for eleven hours, but the US MSM never reported it. A boy was thrown in a cell untreated for concussion after having his head smashed against a pavement by a cop, and it was only the action of international activists staying on the net all night and phoning lawyers and doctors directly in New York that got him help.

Mobile phones and the net are all we have now, but they reach around the whole bloody world.
What we really need are tiny robot hummingbirds with built-in cameras.

NoGuessing

Buzz
Registered
Reaction score
I just have this song going through my head right now.

Neighbours, nobody loves you like we do.
Neighbors, your government has triumphed in finally making you a public fit
for the 21st century.
Never before has a governing body shown so much concern for the economic
well-being of its subjects.
Today we have insulated you from countless factions who threathens your
financial viability; such as the poor; the idealistic foreigners still
clinging to their childish notions of social welfare; why, you're even kept
uninformed of useless propagandist journalism that reports alleged
violations of human rights (We all know they wouldn't have been punished if
they hadn't been doing something wrong!!).
And who better to dispens such
blantently evident factoids but a self-appointed authority like myself?
Acid Rain is a thing of the past... Too many possible causes, too little
signifigance for our modern thinking public, besides industrial
manufacturing is at an all time low anyway, who needs those narrow minded
laborers anyway. Too many mouths to feed, and to many burden on the pay
roll! Who needs 'em? Here in the land of the free-time. Someother ass
back-ward country will give us what we need by exploiting its uneducated
children.
The Internet has expanded our ability to pacify average americans better
than ever by offering fantastical adventures to every corner of the
imagination. Your home office is the window to your world, and the heart of
your social life. Such reclusive behaviour helps clear the roads and public
works from overburden like the lower middle-class and others who depend
shamelessly on their government. Today you are freer than ever to do what
you want, provided you can pay for it!
Remeber, the first word in USA is US
We have arrived neighbours, we are the priviliged elite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1UUGrRTAPc (crap quality)

^That's not to say America is the worst and all that. All countries have their problems.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Lawrence O'Donnell is the only media person I've seen cover it and he lambasted the NYPD pretty hard last night:

http://thelastword.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/26/7978720-rewriting-police-vs-protesters

Also, seems Anonymous has threatened the NYPD. Not really sure what they'll do:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/27/anonymous-threatens-nypd-_n_983941.html
O'Donnell is probably right that this story will go away, but every single one of those brutalizing bastards should be fired and stripped of their benefits and pensions, as well as facing civil suits.