Any book collectors around?

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

I have a question. I have two ex-library books by Lord Frederic Hamilton, and according to the library cards at the back, they were in their possession in 1932/1933. Would there be any point in getting them appraised?

Thanks in advance.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is pretty easy these days to work out the value of a volume by what it is being sold for online (taking into account condition). Books produced within the last 100 years are usually surprisingly inexpensive.

Deleted member 42

No. Not really.

"Ex Library" pretty much says it all.

Book collectors interested in books from +/- the last century want pristine copies.

Provenance--say the personal library of a celebrity--can make a difference but regular library copies aren't really going to do much for you.

I'd check sites like ABE to see what your books list for, keeping in mind that the dealers are listing retail, not what they would or did pay for the book.

Last edited by a moderator:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Am I mistaken in thinking that a library book with the library plate/card still in it, still belongs to the library?

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I mistaken in thinking that a library book with the library plate/card still in it, still belongs to the library?

Usually they stamp "Discarded" obnoxiously on the book if it isn't an active Library book any more.

Where I live, they usually cut out the barcode/ISBN or cover it with some sort of ink.

These books doesn't have any though.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Just to clear up the original question. Lord Frederic Hamilton , was a successful writer and editor,elected MP for Manchester South and it is said he introduced skiing to Canada in 1887.He wrote a number of books ,fiction and autobiographical. You don't say what book you have but they are probably the twentieth or so edition and are worth less than the postage, if you sold them on amazon.Sorry

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I collect old books for their interesting content rather than their intrinsic value, which isn't that high, for the most part. I can often buy them cheaper than modern editions, which should tell you something. For instance, I recently acquired a copy of Emily Post's "Etiquette," original 1922 printing, for $12. Maybe if it had had the original dust jacket it would have been worth more. But library books are not considered desirable and most used bookstores won't touch them.

As a counterexample, I have one ex-library book I actively sought out because it's so rare and useful. It's "Curvilinear Perspective: From Visual Space to the Constructed Image" by Flocon and Barre and it's brilliant. When I started searching for it, copies were running about $200. :eek: Then one day I lucked into an ex-library copy in pristine condition for $10.

Right now there's another ex-library copy for sale online for $80. But this is really exceptional. Most ex-library books are worth even less than book club editions.

LauraAnnSwanson

Oracle of Poultry
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lauraannswanson.com
I have no idea as to what your books may be worth. The advice to just google and see what they might have been sold for previously is sage advice.

Myself, I have 32 copies of Jane Eyre, and one of the original engravings done for the first illustrated edition. :D

BrianJamesFreeman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BrianJamesFreeman.com
Just a side note: it was amazing how FAST the cost/value of older books dropped once the Internet really spread -- especially ABE and eBay. There are books that I used to see sell for $1000+ that you can now buy for 1/2 that. There are books that sold for $500+ that are now selling for less than $50. Books that seemed rare because it took you years to find a good copy are a lot less rare once you see a copy on eBay each week. :)

Brian

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
Books that seemed rare because it took you years to find a good copy are a lot less rare once you see a copy on eBay each week. :)

In many ways that's a great thing, of course, but I can't be the only one who misses the thrill of the hunt. I spent years finding every book I wanted to read by, say, Rex Stout or P. G. Wodehouse. Today I could have them all sent to my house and lined up on the shelf within a week, but I wouldn't have the memories of all those delightful, dusty little bookstores where I tracked them down.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
In many ways that's a great thing, of course, but I can't be the only one who misses the thrill of the hunt. I spent years finding every book I wanted to read by, say, Rex Stout or P. G. Wodehouse. Today I could have them all sent to my house and lined up on the shelf within a week, but I wouldn't have the memories of all those delightful, dusty little bookstores where I tracked them down.

I still love haunting the bookshops, but I don't miss the hunt. I found it nerve-wracking: Is this book really worth it? Should I get the crummy copy now or save my money and hope for a better copy later? What if I never find it again? How much time and money am I willing to devote to this?

I love that the prices have dropped. I do worry about my friends who are book dealers, but then I suppose it's easier to sell books now as well as buy them.