AW is an Amazon Affiliate

13 red media publishing banner

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Zharmae Publishing Press

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    You still have zero experience of working in publishing. You still no next to nothing about how to run a successful publishing house. If you're so determined to work in publishing, get a job with a trade publisher, or a good literary agency, and learn your trade. Because until you do that, you're just going to keep failing, and every time you fail you'll take another tranche of aspiring writers down with you.

I've worked at a book packager.

Goosebumps isn't a packaged product as far as I know, and Stine really exists. He's not a made-up person like Erin Hunter, for example. Can you provide more information about this, please? Because I'd hate to think you were basing your new business on a misconception.

I was an editor for a small book packager years ago and I worked with lots of authors. All books need authors. I don't understand why you think packagers don't work with authors. Again, can you clarify?

Hang on. Three sentences ago, you said you were not going to work with writers again but here you are, asking writers to work for you. No wonder I'm confused.

Work for hire and ghosting are two separate issues. They can't be used interchangeably like this. Please make sure you know the difference between the two before offering any more contracts.

Travis, when you set up Zharmae you didn't know what publishing entailed, and so you failed to make the income you needed, and ended up closing the company.

Now you're proposing to work as a packager. But you don't understand what packaging involves, and so you will fail at this too.

It's harder to make a book packager work, because you're adding an extra layer to the process. Packagers don't publish books. They produce books for publishers. So as well as those books having to pay all their publisher's costs, they have to pay their packager's costs, and turn a profit too. In packaging, costs and profits are cut to the bone. If you failed to make a profit at Zharmae, how are you going to make a profit at this new venture? It's not going to happen.

My concerns are that you don't know what you're doing, you have no relevant experience, you seem to think that book packaging is somehow easier than publishing, and that you're suggesting that if we don't somehow approve your next venture it will be a failure, leaving all the blame on us.

Get a job at a publishing house, Travis. Work there for a decade. Then, when you come back and tell us about your new publishing venture, we'll be able to have more faith in you.
    Hi Old Hack,

I'm sorry, I may not have been clear, I have been successfully running Whorde since closing Zharmae. Whorde does provide contract-based ghostwriting and packaging services to clients, primarily larger book publishers, film production studios, and authors. Which is how I came across the concept that I presented.

From the research, I have conducted it was my understanding that Goosebumps is entirely ghostwritten at present. I realise that Stine is a real person, however, I don't know if that necessarily negates the ghostwriting aspect. But I'll accept what you say, I'm not looking to argue, I very well may be misinformed.

I realize and fully accept my shortcomings with Zharmae. But I also acknowledge my skills and where I have been successful.

But I would love to hear any serious, constructive feedback on the details I listed here:

- DB will produce franchise style content in a select few genres in a saga or collective world style.
    - All work would be published under a single branded author name like R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series.
    - We would produce work in eBook, Print, Audio, Comic, and Translation (Spanish, French, and Portugues).
    - DB would own the franchise and work with writers under ghostwriting contracts (generally flat fee), would provide the story treatment, character profiles, etc. The writer would simply be tasked with writing the content.
    - Beyond the content production process where I believe ghostwriting or work-for-hire projects are very well defined, I anticipate that we may work with Authors akin to a "showrunner" or "master storyteller" type of role. Where they are being paid to develop the overall story concept and help lead where the story goes.

@AW Admin - Thank you.
    Last edited by traveo2343; 07-12-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Clarity.
    Travis R. Grundy
    @traveo2343
    fb.com/traveo2343