Nobel-Prize Winning Physicist Resigns over Global Warming

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Unless you're in denial that those losses will ever occur...

It just seems to be human nature not to look at ugly truths full in the face? How many Jews stayed in Nazi Germany when the warning signs were apparently becoming pretty clear, out of desperate hope that things wouldn't get worse?

Probably not as many as were stuck with no options because they had been banned from taking any of their wealth with them when they left, while many countries they might have fled to wouldn’t let them come unless they brought money with them.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you're in denial that those losses will ever occur...

It just seems to be human nature not to look at ugly truths full in the face? How many Jews stayed in Nazi Germany when the warning signs were apparently becoming pretty clear, out of desperate hope that things wouldn't get worse?

Yep that is very true. It's a flaw in the human mind - finding it hard to face uncomfortable truths and choosing instead to believe what we wish to be true. The more emotionally invested someone is in a particular belief, the harder it is for someone to see that what they believe is incorrect. You see it with all kinds of science and reality deniers - flat Earth, creationism, anti vaxx, etc. Fiddling while Rome burns because you don't want to believe that Rome is burning. Same flaw in thinking. This flaw could well lead to our extinction.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Probably not as many as were stuck with no options because they had been banned from taking any of their wealth with them when they left, while many countries they might have fled to wouldn’t let them come unless they brought money with them.

That is a good point with that specific example (and I agree with the above), however the mentality of reality denial is a massive problem in today's world. People believing what they want to be true, because the actual truth isn't comfortable for them to accept.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
That is a good point with that specific example (and I agree with the above), however the mentality of reality denial is a massive problem in today's world. People believing what they want to be true, because the actual truth isn't comfortable for them to accept.

I agree in general. It's just, something about that particular example used as an example of this kind of behavior bothers me a lot.

robinson

Hello again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
robinson.stripgenerator.com
Last edited:

robinson

Hello again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011...-top-physics-group-over-global/#ixzz1Y2M8beNu

It's not science, it's religion. I don't blame him.

Incontrovertible is a word that should be rarely used in science.

I agree with his stance. This isn't about global warming, it's about the subversion of science itself.

In my experience, internet discussions about climate/global warming are ridiculous, for a simple reason. This is easy to see by the following example, which is about the Nobel prize winner which the thread is about.

https://skepticalscience.com/ivar-giaever-nobel-physicist-climate-pseudoscientist.html

We often see scientists from non-climate fields who believe they have sufficient expertise to understand climate science despite having done minimal research on the subject; William Happer, Fritz Vahrenholt, and Bob Carter, for example. As he admits in his own words, Nobel Prize winning physicist Ivar Giaever fits this mould perfectly:

In this post we will examine the claims made by Giaever in his talk, and show that his contrarian
climate opinions come from a position of extreme ignorance on the subject, as Giaever admits. Giaever personifies the classic stereotype of the physicist who thinks he understands all scientific fields of study:

The unknown person who wrote those words is actually exactly what they are complaining about. But they can't ever see it. Which makes an argument with them an exercise in absurdity. This doesn't even touch on the real problem, which is subtle but far more important.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

robinson

Hello again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Perhaps the lack of quoting the entire post caused some confusion. When I asked about the other thread, and posted a link to it, it was about this matter.
The new thread I started on climate change, Know Your Enemy: The Late-Stage Capitalism Thread, explores climate change through the lens of economics and politics, is available to use for discussion on this topic.

"The new thread I started on climate change" doesn't contain climate in the title. I posted a link to what I think is the thread mentioned. Obviously this thread was not the thread I asked about.

But as I always have said, words are hard. Understanding somebody else is even harder. As writers we should try and write with clarity and precision, when trying to communicate, rather than entertain. I obviously failed in both regards.