Write To Be Published by Nicola Morgan

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'm always dubious about these sort of books, but I'll give this one a go based on your recommendation.

Of course, if it's pants, then I'm blaming you. ;)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always dubious about these sort of books, but I'll give this one a go based on your recommendation.

Of course, if it's pants, then I'm blaming you. ;)

:)

It's quite interesting so far. Brutal, but interesting.

Also seeing our OH's How Publishing Really Works, getting a rec in there too.

Deleted member 42

Nicola Morgan is a super writer, and knows her stuff. This is an absolutely legit book, especially for you furriners, since it's UK-centric.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Her blog is full of crazy useful posts, so I would bet the book has even more of the same. Haven't read her books as they aren't widely marketed here in the states (they're around but I never see them) but she's written loads of well-reviewed kid and teen books.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say that the book is making me think about things from new angles.

They will [publishers] will believe that you believe your first chapter is wonderful, so if it isn't they won't expect the subsequent ones to be better.

Obvious, but I'd never thought of it like that before. :)

Deleted member 42

Her kids' books, and especially the YA end of them, are worth seeking out.

They're really lovely. She's a smart, witty, and thoughtful writer, and terribly kind without being a marshmallow. You don't see all three in one person very often; to have kindness too, is extraordinary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Nicola Morgan is a very good writer, and a very clever woman. She really knows her stuff: she's had over 90 books published, has won all sorts of prizes for her writing, and she was Chair of the Scottish Society of Authors until last year.

Write To Be Published is a very good book. It's accessible, honest and true and I think every writer should buy it. I bought myself a copy, even though Nicola offered me a freebie, because I read it in ms form and knew that it was worth paying for.

I shall admit: I've drunk Nicola Morgan's wine cellar dry, called her a comedy vegetable, and have got her told off at the EIBF author yurt. I am a hideously bad influence on her. And she is a wonderful friend to have. But even if she wasn't my friend, I'd still recommend this book. It's great. Just buy it. And read her blog.

ETA: Nicola has recently self-published an e-book to help people use Twitter. It's called Tweet Right, and my lovely husband makes an appearance in it. She's making him a star.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

If it's UK-centric, what about us furriners over here in the new continents?

caw

It's still very good, despite all that strange Frenchified spelling. But UK editors likely don't know about Noah Webster's Vowel Conservation Policies.

ghostlygalleon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.helpineedapublisher.blogspot.com
Well, I can't sit by and let Old Hack praise me like that. Everything she says is entire rubbish, but you all know this.

And as for Medievalist - you are ruining my reputation as the Crabbit Old Bat!

No, seriously, I'm really thrilled to read the comments about my blog and book from people who don't know me - thanks for taking the trouble to recommend it/them here.

In case you're wondering, no, I didn't find this after googling msyelf - would I do that?? A kind person sent me here but now I've registered with AW, you may see me back more often. (Hope that's ok.) As a total newbie I will need my hand held at first but I am sure I will soon be dancing wild jigs with the rest of you. (Oh, you mean I'm meant to be serious here? *dons serious hat*)

Deleted member 42

And as for Medievalist - you are ruining my reputation as the Crabbit Old Bat!

Pishtush.

I never have anything nice to say about anyone.

You desperately need an avatar. What would you like?

ETA: Much better, though larger wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! :)

We definitely do dancing here! On weekdays we do this: :e2dance:

And on weekends, it's this: :banana:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I am so glad you joined! All this yakkity-yak about someone when she isn't around to defend herself set the record straight, well . . .

As to knowing who precisely to blame for the odd infraction, it sometimes takes a bit of sleuthing. ;)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
In case you're wondering, no, I didn't find this after googling msyelf - would I do that?? A kind person sent me here but now I've registered with AW, you may see me back more often.

Oh, dear, a kind person never would have encouraged you to get mixed up with this place.

Ulterior motives abound. :evil

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's this place gone down the drain.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Now look what I've gone and done! :)

Nice to meet you Nicola, unfortunately I missed you in Stirling on Sunday [the girl in Waterstone's did try!]

I'm really enjoying the book. Highly recommended.