• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Lotts Agency (Chris Lotts)

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Chris Lotts was originally with Ralph Vicinanza which means he was part of a highly successful and top notch agency.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
As Waylander said, Chris left Vicinanza a couple of months ago (as did Christopher Schelling; Chris Lotts was never with any other agency to my knowledge); in the wake of Ralph's death, Ralph Vicinanza Ltd. has essentially ceased to operate as an agency.

The announcement in PM:

Chris Lotts and Christopher Schelling have left Ralph Vicinanza Ltd to open new agencies. The Lotts Agency will continue Lotts's representation of commercial fiction and targeted upmarket non-fiction in a mix of domestic and foreign rights, working on behalf of Stephen King, George R.R. Martin, Robin Hobb, Connie Willis, Robert J. Sawyer R. Scott Bakker, Stacia Kane and Lia Habel, among many others. At Schelling’s new shop, Selectric Artists, he will continue with authors like Augusten Burroughs, Cinda Williams Chima, John Elder Robison, Louis Bayard, Kim Stanley Robinson and Haven Kimmel, while also expanding his representation into other media, such as managing the singer-songwriter career of Tony Award-winning actress Alice Ripley. Although the two companies will be separate, Lotts Agency will continue to handle a number of Selectric's authors for translation.

Chris is my agent (as noted in the announcement). I love him. But I believe he's closed to queries at the moment.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Chris is my agent (as noted in the announcement). I love him. But I believe he's closed to queries at the moment.

Would it be possible for you to verify that? Since his website isn't working, I was going by agentquery.com, which said he's accepting queries (but has a no response = no policy). If he's closed, I'll just assume my query was deleted unread and update my spreadsheet.

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
In the Vicinanza agency, Chris Schelling was the US agent, where Chris Lotts was the foreign rights expert. Not to say they don't both represent US artists (they do) but Lotts is known for foreign rights expertise where Schelling represents authors like my brother and I, etc. Those two agents do very different jobs. The Schelling agency is Selectric Artists, which you can find on Facebook now

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
The Selectric website invites queries. Thats incorrect?

Selectric Artists (Christopher Schelling) and the Lotts Agency (Chris Lots) are two different agencies.

This thread is about Mr. Lotts's agency (i.e., Mr. Lotts is closed to queries at the moment).

Maybe the posts about Mr. Schelling and Selectric Artists should be broken into another thread? (Though, I'm guessing if their website says they're open, they are.)

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys:

Does Mr. Lotts send an acknowledgement of receipt email or respond to queries he passes on?

Thanks.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about Chris Lotts. I've heard plenty of good ones.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Mr. Lotts recently? Agentquery says he's open, but his website seems down.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
VictoriaJakes, I queried him in January, but haven't heard anything back. It looks like the last time anyone on QT received a response was over a year ago.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Aggy. I guess it couldn't hurt to try, but I won't get my hopes up.

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
How is Chris Lotts doing these days, is he accepting queries yet, and what does he represent?

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Like the others I queried in March 2013 and gt no response. (Oh well)

According to Query tracker it looks like he only responds if interested. Someone had a partial request within a month recently, however they looked likr they were the first in years to get one!

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
The Query Tracker website has a comment that said he recently requested materials, so it appears he's now open to queries:

EQ: 2/7/15
PR: 2/11/15
YA Fantasy

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
He appears to rep Robin Hobb, but aside from selling her latest books, I don't see anything recent on Publisher's Marketplace. Of course, he may not bother reporting his more modest deals.

I'm a bit confused about how to query him, though. The only website I'm getting for Lotts Agency is this site, which appears to be for a polish agency called Graal. It's got me scratching my head, as there are no submission instructions, and it seems a bit odd.

http://www.graal.com.pl/en/publishers-and-agents/lotts-agency-ltd

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
The link your connecting to lists the foreign agencies and publishers that Graal works with (as far as I can tell) for the purposes of subrights.

His AgentQuery profile lists a lot of big names (including AW's own Stacia Kane) so maybe he isn't interested in a website because he doesn't need one?

samarnold

Registered
Reaction score
He is definitely accepting queries - I sent one in November and got a partial request (eventually turned down, but they're obviously there and reading!). He reps an amazing list of authors, including GRRM, Robin Hobb, the Asimov estate.

Good luck all!

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know how to find out what he wants from a query? A letter, I assume, but does he want 5-10 pages and a synopsis also?

This is what I have in my database:
Email: send a brief query via [email protected], including any information regarding previous publications; you may also include the first 5-10 pages of your manuscript in the body of the email (no attachments, please).

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent experiences with this agency? I'm particularly interested in querying Lara Lea Allen who seems to have joined since the last time anyone posted here.