• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Grit City Publications

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'd just like to say that I don't think they "mass privated messaged" anyone. They simply used nano's private messager to introduce their company to people they were interested in (it would be no different than an agent or editor seeing something in QLH and sending a message to that writer about seeing more.) It's just that its very rare for any medium so it threw me. I thought it was more likely a scam than real, which is why I asked.

Simply it seems that this is a new company trying to figure something out, and looking for new writers (they really do need good projects in order to make this thing work). But I'm not sure they are going about it right. I wish them luck, however (and from what I see above you might be better off just self publishing. Seems like it's almost the same thing with illustrations (which btw if done well would be pretty cool)

I think the jury is still out on this one.

Not so much, imo.

First, the Nano site would *not* be impressed by someone using their private messenger system to spam authors - the system is there for a reason and it's NOT to provide publishers with easy access to a database of authors. If I got an email I'd be steaming mad and emailing NaNo in a split second. That address is supposed to be for supporting and encouraging authors during NaNo, not a dating service for desperate publishers.

I'd report them to the NaNoWriMo people pronto.

Second, this Twitter twit... well, it's just not classy. In no way shape or form. And like Veinglory said the gross hyperbole is just such a turnoff I'd run in the opposite direction.

I expect that if there's an official response it'll be something along the lines of "another misguided but enthusiastic supporter". That gets old really fast.

As for "emotebooks" or whatever they're being called.. yahsureyoubetcha.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Has yet to publish anything not by owner.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Just to tie it all up with a shiny bow, the above URL returns a 404-Not Found error.

If, however, you click on "return to homepage", what to your wondering eyes should appear but pittsburghwriter.net with Ron Gavalik advertising his many talents. "Superior Writing Services"; "Second Place Best Local Writer" (sadly, with the image cut-off so there's no way of knowing when or for what other than for "City Paper"); copywriting, technical writing, articles and press releases, content editing, and social media. I need a nap just reading all of that.

Remember, kids: "Business professionals should never finalize any project alone." It says so, right on his page.

Adding: apparently, there is a newspaper called the "Pittsburgh City Paper". Let's check it out! It appears he was the 2nd place winner in 2018...as a writer for the Pittsburgh City Paper. That seems a little incestuous.

In any case, I'm going to just leave this right here as a coda to the Grit City saga.