Sorry it took so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
Brinkett and others having trouble getting to the new site from certain computers.... try going to www.absolutewrite.com first, since there's only one of that site, then click on the 'Forums' button, see if that works. Also make sure to log out of the forums to clear the cookie on your computer before trying to access the boards again.
I tried that last night--it didn't work. I've also cleared all my cookies several times, and all of my temporary internet files. Any other suggestions?

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
The only suggestion I have at this point is to make sure you REALLY clean it out. Sometimes this isn't possible without going into your cookies folder and manually deleting cookies and using disk cleanup to delete temporary internet files. It may also be a problem of ISPs caching old pages for a lot longer length of time than you would prefer. When pages are cached it logs not only the textual address but the IP address such as 66.116.174.26 which is the IP address of the site on HE.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Well, when I get home, I'll try clearing everything out manually, but I'm not optimistic. Of course, if it doesn't work, I won't be able to tell you until tomorrow.

Can you post the IP of the new site--perhaps if I type that in directly, I'll get here.

I doubt it's my ISP. I didn't have a problem last time AW moved, nor have I had a problem when other sites have moved. I doubt very much an ISP would cache pages for days on end precisely because of problems like this.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
brinkett said:
I doubt it's my ISP. I didn't have a problem last time AW moved, nor have I had a problem when other sites have moved. I doubt very much an ISP would cache pages for days on end precisely because of problems like this.
Thing is, in those other cases, the old sites weren't active, so even if your system went looking for the site at the old IP, it wouldn't find it and then it would search the DNS servers for the 'real' site, which it would find and you'd be taken there. You wouldn't even be aware it had first looked for the old site.

The problem is that something either in your system or somewhere else particular to your Internet hookup for your home machine (like your ISP) is holding on to the old IP address and using it whenever you try to access the AW forums. The reason it won't 'let go' then find and use the new IP is that it keeps finding something at the old IP and doesn't look any further.

Every DNS server on the Internet should now have the new IP addy associated with Absolute Write and the forums, which is why the problem has to be something specific to your system or close to it (such as your ISP's DNS server).

Are you familiar with the 'ping' command? If so, this is what you should get if you open up a command prompt and ping www.absolutewrite.com:
C:\>ping www.absolutewrite.com

Pinging absolutewrite.com [207.218.250.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 207.218.250.65: bytes=32 time=357ms TTL=52
Reply from 207.218.250.65: bytes=32 time=389ms TTL=52
Reply from 207.218.250.65: bytes=32 time=276ms TTL=52
Reply from 207.218.250.65: bytes=32 time=298ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 207.218.250.65:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 276ms, Maximum = 389ms, Average = 330ms

C:\>
If you get the IP that starts with 66, then there is something in your system that is still associating www.absolutewrite.com with the wrong IP. Virtually every home Internet connection automatically looks to the ISP's DNS server for this association if it's not 'cached' on the computer itself. If you have eliminated this 'cached' association from your computer, then it HAS to be at your ISP because that's the next place your computer will look, and your ISP is either going to have the new IP or the old one, and you'll be taken to whichever it is.

PS -- I agree that your ISP should have the new entry on their server, it's an automatic updating system that propagates changes like this throughout the Internet in a matter of hours. Therefore, in all likelihood there is some association to the old site still buried somewhere on your computer.

Last edited:

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
PS -- I agree that your ISP should have the new entry on their server, it's an automatic updating system that propagates changes like this throughout the Internet in a matter of hours. Therefore, in all likelihood there is some association to the old site still buried somewhere on your computer.
Okay, I've sent these instructions home and I'll try it later. If the old site is buried somewhere on my computer, and it's not in a cookie or in a temporary internet file, where would it be?

ETA: You might want to post this on the old forums for those still there. We were chatting in one of the threads last night. Someone might figure it out, find their way over here, and tell us how they did it.

Last edited:

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
brinkett said:
Okay, I've sent these instructions home and I'll try it later. If the old site is buried somewhere on my computer, and it's not in a cookie or in a temporary internet file, where would it be?

ETA: You might want to post this on the old forums for those still there. We were chatting in one of the threads last night. Someone might figure it out, find their way over here, and tell us how they did it.
I was one of the people that couldn't get to the new forums last night. It was very odd, since I had posted on the new forum earlier in the day using the same computer and internet connection.

Anyway, it looks like whatever was wrong last night has been fixed for me.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it is a matter of the DNS being updated somewhere. Maybe when I get home, it'll just work. One can hope! :)

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
brinkett said:
Can you post the IP of the new site--perhaps if I type that in directly, I'll get here.

Not without permission from the owners of the site. It involves their username in the link with the IP. Sorry.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
brinkett said:
Maybe it is a matter of the DNS being updated somewhere. Maybe when I get home, it'll just work. One can hope! :)
There's every possibility that will be the case. Fingers crossed!

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
JamesC said:
Rest?? ..... :Wha: What is rest?? Moondancer works me 18 hours a day ... :scared: but she always makes sure I have plenty of coffee ...... :Coffee:

Oh also rememebr I am always around even when I aint logged in I am watching ...... lol:popcorn:

Hmmm... I thought it was the fringe benefits...

:idea: Maybe I should buy a bigger coffee pot instead....

Last edited:

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
JamesC said:
Rest?? ..... :Wha: What is rest?? Moondancer works me 18 hours a day ... :scared: but she always makes sure I have plenty of coffee ...... :Coffee:

Oh also rememebr I am always around even when I aint logged in I am watching ...... lol:popcorn:
EmoteWha.gif
uh-oh! I knew I felt someone watching us.....hey just don't tell about the party we had last night..shhhhhhhh.....

SeanDSchaffer

James, Jenna, Moondancer....

Thank you all kindly for doing the change-over. The site runs much better than it did and I'm not screaming at the computer any more (at least until the next time my OS crashes on me.)

That other hosting company had the site running mighty slow; I've noticed the boards work much faster and more efficiently than they did before the change-over.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you all for your time--and that of any others whose names I may have unknowingly omitted from the title line.

emoteThumbs.gif

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

live4today

Registered
Reaction score
James & Jenna - thanks for making the changes to the Boards and getting them running smoothly! Mucho appreciated!

Happy Turkey Day all!

Denise

Status
Not open for further replies.