Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
'Easy' is pretty relative. If you play a lot, sure, it's easy, but if your last game played was Sonic The Hedgehog, you may find it bloody hard still. :D

Turns out DX:IW will run on my laptop, too! It's not the best game ever, and it crashes to desktop then resumes play every time I hit a new area, but that won't stop me playing it. :tongue

Now if only HR had a 'Frankly Appalling' graphics setting...

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Put it on easy?

I'd still fail. My gaming skills embarrass my sons. Yet I see all these interesting games and want to try them!

'Easy' is pretty relative. If you play a lot, sure, it's easy, but if your last game played was Sonic The Hedgehog, you may find it bloody hard still. :D

Turns out DX:IW will run on my laptop, too! It's not the best game ever, and it crashes to desktop then resumes play every time I hit a new area, but that won't stop me playing it. :tongue

Now if only HR had a 'Frankly Appalling' graphics setting...

LOL! I am in that category.

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
So, er, anyway, I've been playing this recently. Up to the (first?) Hengsha hub. I like the atmosphere of the world, and the fact that I can just walk around and not have my hand held by over-controlling game developers.

As mentioned earlier, though, the lip-syncing is embarrassing (DXHR's still miles behind Mass Effect, a game that came out four years ago, in terms of digital acting), the characters all animate like they really, really need to go to the toilet, and the boss fights... the boss fights...

Still, I'm enjoying it for now.

Oh, as for graphics: I've got it maxed out on my new super-system, and it's really not a visually striking game. You could even get away with playing this one on console, which is something I rarely (if ever) say. The graphics are more about the artwork (which is solid) anyway.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
It's a common error in gaming these days. You spend hours playing 'your way' but there's only one way to beat the boss. If you haven't spent those hours 'training the right way' you've got to re-learn the game through constant deaths and reloads.

Thief always did a good job in that regard. Loved the final mission of Thief 3. The critter couldn't see you AT ALL or you were done. But you'd spent the entire game learning how to sneak.

Mind you, some people got 'good' at the sword combat and just hacked their way through the games. Worked in Thief 1, was tougher in Thief 2, and impossible to finish in Thief 3. But those guys weren't playing the game. It's a first-person sneaker. Not a hack-n-slash.

Anyway, totally with you on the poor boss fight design.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The irony is that the hardest difficulty is "Give me Deus Ex," which makes the bosses very, very difficult and is entirely contrary to the original Deus Ex experience.
Seriously, the first boss is a piece of cake using barrels and tanks at normal or easy.
At hard he just ignores them so you need to learn how to run and gun real quick.

I'm hoping Dishonored will pull off the Deus Ex experience better.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I played DX:HR when it first came out on PS3 and utterly loved it.

Just last week started it again - this time "the Director's Cut" version, with improved, stealth-friendly boss fights! - and I'm right back in love again.

I struggle to think of games I've enjoyed more in the last few years.

Pallandozi

Registered
Reaction score
Put it on easy?

Confession time. I'm not really a gamer. I spend lots of time playing games, but I'm really there for the stories, not for the game play.

I do easy mode (or in some games the more kindly named "story mode"), to make sure I can reach every single obscure corner, and spend the time there appreciating the characters and scenery (and re-play it to get all the dialog options). I'm a quest completionist.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Necroing AW Dead Threads? Some good stories to be found there. :snoopy:

Confession time. I'm not really a gamer. I spend lots of time playing games, but I'm really there for the stories, not for the game play.

I do easy mode (or in some games the more kindly named "story mode"), to make sure I can reach every single obscure corner, and spend the time there appreciating the characters and scenery (and re-play it to get all the dialog options). I'm a quest completionist.

Status
Not open for further replies.