Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, I just played it for the first hour, and here are my initial thoughts.

The lip synching is behind the times, the textures are a little fuzzy sometimes, and animations can be a bit jerky...BUT IT DOES NOT FUCKING MATTER.

Why?

Because the game has...A COLOR PALLET.

Beyond brown and brown and a bit of gray :D

Also, the gameplay is far more reminiscent of the original Deus Ex as opposed to the sequel. And by reminiscent, I mean so far almost identical, right down to the interface...except now you have a map, a radar in your hud, and tranquilizer darts actually work.

But, hey, Deus Ex WAS one of the greatest games of all time, so aping that is far from the worst thing to do. The plot is interesting so far, and I'm having a great time.

Except that it's now 2 in the morning and I need to stay on a semi-regular sleep schedule cause college is starting in two days.

DAMN YOU SQUARE-ENIX!

WHY MUST YOU RELEASE GAMES ON TIMES WHERE SCHOOL IS HAPPENING!

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Square Enix hates educated people.

Yes, that's it... >.>

And now I must avoid this thread entirely to keep myself unspoiled.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I have no system capable of running this right now, which is rather painful as I REALLY WANNA PLAY!!!

In an attempt to distract myself, I downloaded The Nameless Mod for the original Deus Ex (which this laptop will happily run). It's a total conversion, and gets really good reviews, so hopefully it'll sate me for a while. :tongue

Huscurian

Impericrat since '99
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching and playing with my husband. There was on part that threw me though...
go to 13:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaLIxstF-64
They apparently think field slaves live on the streets of Detroit..

Yeah. If they're reflecting on current events, there was an MSNBC news report on sex slaves. I know that has NOTHING to do with field slaves but since MSNBC reported it, that's what I thought when I saw "field slaves" and it may have morphed into a slave economy out in Detroit in the game.

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. If they're reflecting on current events, there was an MSNBC news report on sex slaves. I know that has NOTHING to do with field slaves but since MSNBC reported it, that's what I thought when I saw "field slaves" and it may have morphed into a slave economy out in Detroit in the game.

Nope... They have a black lady hobo who talks like jar jar binks. Says, "I'sa" and "Yes'a" I meant it's one of the most offensive voice portrayals ever. It would have been better suited for Jim in a 1940's movie of Huck Fin.

She's not a slave, she's a hobo. No one is. People forced to do things against their will but not slaves.

Last edited:

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
I never even found that lady hobo...

You can't miss her. Across the street from the metro station. She's the only hobo character eating out of the garbage. THE ONLY ONE. Jesus Christ was that character offensive. And I'm hard to offend.

ETA: the portrayal of black people in Hitman: Blood Money was seriously f*ing racist as well. This is what you're treated to FIVE f*ing minutes into the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olIdYDlyQvc

Last edited:

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Loved the original game, played it through many times (though I did get incredibly frustrated by the one mission where you end having to change sides, I really wanted to stay a government spook!)

Never played the second one, didn't have a console at the time and the one I've got now isn't backwards compatible for it. I am very much looking forward to this game though, trailers look good, I love Square Enix and if it's returning to the style of he original game then I'll be kissing goodbye to any attempts at writing for some time....

Damn computer games.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No, I saw other hobos rummaging through trash.

Then I started rummaging through trash and found some food, which helped recharge my batteries.

And, frankly, none of the other black characters have acted like that. So, I'm willing to give Eidos Montreal the benefit of the doubt.

Also, I'm on a fucking hard fight. It's not hard cause I keep dying, it's hard because unless you do it in exactly the right way...bad plot things happen. I want GOOD plot things to happen!

>: (

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Beat it!

Loved it!

Make another game, Eidos Montreal!

I know, make a Deus Ex 2 that does not suck! Do that!

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Darn, always worries me when people have completed the game before I've even managed to pick it up lol.

third person

Registered
Reaction score
PC version performs FLAWLESSLY. Never have I had such out-of-the-box perfection. No stuttering, no long loadtimes, NO CRASHES, no glitches. WTF? This is amazing. Oh, and I'm running this on a 4 year old HP laptop with most settings on high save for no shadows. I think the devs sold their souls to the Devil or something, cause really—I am just floored by how optimized this game is. That said...

WHY IS THERE NO F*ING MELEE???

Once again, the console crowd wins, getting insta-win gameplay that mocks us gamers used to more of a challenge. Takedowns? Really? I'd rather use my good ol' baton, thanks. Or a knife. I understand that it can be argued that since this is an RPG the character can have their own "signature move" to use in combat but I'd just rather be doing the knocking out, damnit, not having it done for me at the press of a button.

I really do love the game but the consolization just makes it too damned easy. At one point I had amassed 9 praxis points and not used them because I got by fine without additonal augs/upgrades. Points in hacking is all I really needed.

But least I go on about what I found disappointing I'll just remind myself of one purely awesome moment: the very first time I made a fall using the Icarus aug.

WOW. F*ING WOW.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
The only problem I have with the game is that I think it could still be a bit deeper from an intellectual standpoint.

I mean it's really close to being truly awesome (it's a great game), but I think they could have gone just a bit further with the story, and not had the set piece boss fights and stuff. I think a more open ended world would have helped, if it was possible as well.

Definitely worth the 50 bucks though.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an old school PC gamer, who loved the original Deus Ex to death. I play every game on the hardest difficulty as possible.

And I have to say, the takedowns are easily one of the better additions to the Deus Ex gameplay I've ever seen. Melee combat in the original game was LAME.

It was clunky, spastic and dumb.

Also, on the hardest difficulty mode, most of the interface is turned off for HR. No "usable items" indicators, no crosshairs, and no "where your objective is" indicator.

Fun! :D

third person

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an old school PC gamer, who loved the original Deus Ex to death. I play every game on the hardest difficulty as possible.

And I have to say, the takedowns are easily one of the better additions to the Deus Ex gameplay I've ever seen. Melee combat in the original game was LAME.

It was clunky, spastic and dumb.

Also, on the hardest difficulty mode, most of the interface is turned off for HR. No "usable items" indicators, no crosshairs, and no "where your objective is" indicator.

Fun! :D

But...I like throwing knives :S And in Invisible War I loved that baton action. And the katanas.

THE KATANAS.

I'm not a gun nut in Deus Ex. I'm a stealth melee ninja that is crying because he can't be more ninja :(

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I usually play games on normal, sometimes slightly harder, but almost never on the hardest difficulty . . . I'm too scared. Not of failing while playing the game, but that I'll wimp out on the difficulty and lower it down. I know myself, I would totally do it if I met a particularly difficult area.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I usually play games on normal, sometimes slightly harder, but almost never on the hardest difficulty . . . I'm too scared. Not of failing while playing the game, but that I'll wimp out on the difficulty and lower it down. I know myself, I would totally do it if I met a particularly difficult area.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm not likely to wimp out and dial down to easy, interestingly; I haven't done that since the days of Icewind Dale.

The problem I'm having with DXHR is that I can't stand to feel I've missed out on anything. So I am jealously hoarding my Praxis points in case I bump into a crate I can't shift, or a gate I can't get past, or something, which means I'm basically playing very slowly and methodically as Adam 'Average Joe' Jensen.

third person

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the sword arms :D

They're sexy AND effective!

Ah, but they're effective because they're coded to be insta-win. It never fails! It's not like TD/InstaKill 1.0 can be interrupted. Now if it COULD...that would be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.