Hey New Folks! Are you getting PM spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Why post irrelevantly? You've been a member for over four years. One post a month would have gotten you almost to the crit threshold.

Not the kind of posts nelehjr has been making.

I'm not really enthused about members attempting to game the system to exploit the community.

B.D. Skunkworks

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...I actually got a few of those. They were mostly messages of welcome and do's and dont's . They seemed harmless so I initially thought nothing of them.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...I actually got a few of those. They were mostly messages of welcome and do's and dont's . They seemed harmless so I initially thought nothing of them.

Those are automated PMs from the owner of the site, MacAllister.

This thread is about attempts from someone who has been repeatedly banned from multiple writing forums under multiple usernames.

First - welcome to AW!

Second - I'm getting reports from new members about receiving PM spam soon after you've registered, with a link to a different online writers forum.

We do not endorse or recommend the spam-linked forum, and the messages are absolutely not being sent with our agreement, cooperation, or permission. We keep banning the persistent sockpuppet spammers, but they sneak back in via proxies.

If you've received one of these messages, please just forward it to me and I'll joyfully punt the spammers.

Thank you!

Cochisen

Registered
Reaction score
None for me! So far sites been great, love the community already šŸ˜Š

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back atcha! In recent years new arrivals are apparently getting less (or none?) of the spam in question. But we'd still want to know if somebody's trying to sell you something or get you to do something via private conversation, because they ought not to be doing that.

Maryn, glad you're not getting it

Status
Not open for further replies.