Fight for love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampire Sorcerer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, so I was wondering, my WIP is about a 14 year old boy who's gay. He finds out that he's a Spirit Sorcerer, which means he will develop the 5 Spirit Powers. The first one is to see and hear ghosts/spirits. On his 14th birthday he develops the first one, the Spirit Eye. He sees a unfamiliar boy in school, which he's immediately attracted to, and when the MC goes home, the unfamiliar boy is there too. It turns out he has been dead for over 12 years. Okay, so the Ghost died when he was 16 (so it's not like a hundred years older man like in Twilight). The MC turns out to be in great danger, because he is chosen to be the Spirit Sorcerer when he was a toddler. The Spirit Community is corrupt and when the Spirit Sorcerer has developed all the Spirit Gifts, he can and will take the corrupt part out of the Community, so the Spirits can finally rest in peace. The MC and the Ghost, fall in love, a love which is obviously difficult for the simple reason that the Ghost is a Ghost, but also because the corrupt Ghosts in the Spirit Community are starting a headhunt with the MC as there victim. This goes on for 5 books, in the fifth book the MC has developed all the Spirit Powers, and he can clear the Spirit Community. The fifth power is that the MC can travel between the Shadow Realm (The Spirit World) and the Living World, whenever he wants so the MC and the Ghost can finally have a real relationship. But is it like to much of a drag if the impossible love lasts for 5 books, because I thought that it wouldn't be quite interesting, or is it?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't assume that anything you plan for a hypothetical fifth book will ever actually happen. Most people who start a novel don't finish it, and most people who plan great long umpteen-book series don't finish the first book. If you write the first book and it has an emotionally satisfying ending, you're doing fine. Leave the fifth book worries for when they're no longer hypothetical.

melnve

Registered
Reaction score
I have discussed this at length with the 15 & 16 year old girls in my class at school (I'm their teacher, not a student!) for my own planned trilogy. They tell me that the MC and his/her love interest must at least have a kiss in the first book, but they can't get together. They can get together in the second book but then be kept apart, but they need closure in the third book or they will be annoyed. i don't know how this works with five books, but they are adament it can't go on too long or it's just lame - they want to know why the MC doesn't just give it up!

We have very interesting homegroup meetings every morning, trust me! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Um... You can have a "real" relationship without all the physical stuff. Just because he can't make out with his boyfriend doesn't mean their relationship is somehow less than one in which the two people have crazy wild sex every day. It just means you have to develop other aspects of the relationship until they can be physically together. For example, how does each new spirit power affect their relationship? The first one introduces them, and the last one allows them to do all that lovely hormone-laden physical stuff, but what about in-between?

There's plenty of good tension in their inability to be physically intimate, and you can get some powerful resolution on an emotional level without them having to have sex or something.

Besides, depending on the type of ghost you have, they can still "kiss" or hold hands or whatever, even if the type of ghost who could have sex might not be what you want in an LI. ;)

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I second everyone before, and I'd like to add that I love the concept. Just write one book at a time. Finish the first one, edit it until you cry, beta, query, synopsis, send it out... repeat.

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing how you manage to pull of a love between a ghost and a real person, because of the lack of physical contact. :O

Concept sounds cool.

Three Fish

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a great story! I actually have a gay MC as well and there is no kiss in the first book. As others have said, finish your first before even thinking about the others. In my case, the kiss just didn't make sense for this story, so it didn't happen. Probably will in the next, if I ever get there :)

I could gladly read 5 books in a series where there wasn't any kissing. If the relationship is emotional and beautiful, then you're doing a fantastic job of writing a romance. Because you don't even need the physical stuff, which most people rely on.

Look at Harry Potter, for example, where all of his crushes are physical and describe the crazy hormones in him. JKR did an amazing job with Ron & Hermione, but Harry's relationships left something to be desired (IMHO). I think Cho/Ginny were some of the most poorly developed romances I've ever read, but people still love HP of course. Plenty of people will argue me there, since the majority of people thought the romance was perfect. It all comes down to personal opinion I guess!

Anywho, all I'm saying is that with this ghost thing, you have a chance to develop your romance with more than just the physical drive.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.