Magical Realism

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
I've always been a huge fan of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and magical realism. But I never thought about it in YA until I read Imaginary Girls.

Nova Ren Suma wrote an awesome piece about it for WriteOnCon, and it got me wondering about other YA books that include magical realism.

Any suggestions out there? Can you think of other YA books that contain magical realism? I'd love to read more!

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the link :)

I love magical realism & surrealism, and would like more of it in YA.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I read that today! I have an idea for a magical realism book, probably my next WIP.

I loved Imaginary Girls, but I can't think of any other YA magical realism.

juliatheswede

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Holes by Louis Sachar. May be the best book ever written... at least if you ask me. Read it!

romcomgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't know. For me it's hard to find anything like that and I only know about Gabriel Garcia Marquez because the way he writes reminds me of how my grandmother would just tell me these stories that sound true but also sound as if they were mixed in with a tall tale.

Thanks for the link too. I'd love to see some YA writers tackle something like One Hundred Years of Solitude.

DrunkenLilacs

Growing tipsier as we speak
Registered
Reaction score
I read that today! I have an idea for a magical realism book, probably my next WIP.

I loved Imaginary Girls, but I can't think of any other YA magical realism.

Ditto!

The Book Thief, although I'm pretty sure there's not a soul who hasn't read it

How I Live Nowby Meg Rosoff is a pretty solid one.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

I Am the Messenger again, by the beautiful Markus Zusak

And I'm pretty sure Jellicoe Road is lowkey magical realism, too...but I don't know.

Good luck!

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff.

Jellicoe Road has elements of it, too, imo. The way everything ties together, and that sort of spiritual link between past and present. Definitely hints of mysticism if not magical realism.

ETA: DrunkenLilacs beat me to it :)

Also adding This is Shyness by Leanne Hall.

Last edited:

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
David Almond's books, particularly Skellig and Kit's Wilderness.

Going back even further, Francesca Lia Block's books almost always have a magical element. It's been a while since I picked up her stuff, but I remember Witch Baby was a good one.

I was working on a magical realism YA for a while (which eventually I'll get back to) and it was hard to find other YA books to read for inspiration! I usually went back to the classic magical realism books for adults -- Isabel Allende, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Gunter Grass, Jose Saramago, and so forth.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
There's one title coming in 2013 - After You by Jessica Corra. I follow her on Twitter. She's such a sweetheart.

So there's at least one more coming. Hopefully that bodes well since it's one of those genres I love to read but couldn't write for the life of me.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Francesca Lia Block!!! Omg, how'd I forget her? She's amazing. Weetzie Bat and Baby Bebop are my favourites, but all her books are soooo good.

PS - A prequel to Weetzie Bat is being published soon, it's called Pink Smog!

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
Echo and The Hanged Man by Francesca Lia Block. Her book Wasteland also has some magical realism elements, I think.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I have such a hard time defining magical realism. This was a helpful article!

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
To go by the description in the article, the closest thing I've read would be BLACK MARIA by Diana Wynne Jones. I also dimly remember a short story by Joan Aiken, something about a witch who turns into a cat, and it was all perfectly organic to a plot that was chiefly about gardening one-upsmanship . . . maybe more MG than YA, though.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
To go by the description in the article, the closest thing I've read would be BLACK MARIA by Diana Wynne Jones. I also dimly remember a short story by Joan Aiken, something about a witch who turns into a cat, and it was all perfectly organic to a plot that was chiefly about gardening one-upsmanship . . . maybe more MG than YA, though.

guh Diana Wynne Jones. <3 <3 <3 Though BM is my least favorite of hers.

eastcoastgal

compulsive overeditor
Registered
Reaction score
guh Diana Wynne Jones. <3 <3 <3 Though BM is my least favorite of hers.

Oooh, it gets better?! BLACK MARIA was the first of hers I'd read, and I actually liked it pretty well. Her writing felt comfortable and very welcoming. I was drawn in right away, and I have several more of hers lined up waiting for my attention (would it have been you who rec'd her to me? I requested "ordinary" magic some time ago, and her name came up in the thread so I made a note of it)

Have you read much Joan Aiken? I looked up the short story I remembered, and it was THE QUINCE TREE-- one in a series of short stories about the Armitage family, who apparently handle that sort of thing all the time! I don't think I read (m)any of the others, so now I'm eager to lay hands on that book, too.

I thought of Aiken when I read the description of magical realism, though I may not understand the genre enough to be correct about that. She's not terribly gentle with her readers but she does have a special brand of grim whimsy in her work that I love.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
yes, I remember posting in that thread! Yay, I'm so glad you picked up a few of her books :) I do like her other books much more. It's interesting, since her books range from stronger magical realism/magic-in-our-world to full-blown fantasy.

I haven't read any Joan Aiken, sadly. I should, I really should.

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! I'm so excited for these suggestions (and your enthusiasm to also read/write it!). Yay! I have a lot of reading to do! :)

RexZentah

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I understand magical realism is it's own art form, but does it overlap with speculative fiction?

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
Rex....I think it could overlap elements of speculative fiction. I think one of the most important things about magical realism is that the setting isn't a whole new complete world that's built; it's our world (one that the reader is familiar with).

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
AND....I just finished A.S. King's book Please Ignore Vera Dietz, which was WONDERFUL! If you haven't read it, read it now!

Anyway, I think you could classify that as magical realism with the "bodies" or Charlie that keep showing up. It's subtle, but is an element that wouldn't really happen in our world (but as a reader I totally accepted it).

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I've only read one short story by her, but Aimee Bender is an adult lit fic magical realism writer. One of her books is called The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, about a girl who can taste the emotions of the chef in the food they make. That kind of concept could really, really work in YA.

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
I've only read one short story by her, but Aimee Bender is an adult lit fic magical realism writer. One of her books is called The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, about a girl who can taste the emotions of the chef in the food they make. That kind of concept could really, really work in YA.

TPSoLC actually won an Alex Award from ALA for being an adult book that has special appeal to the YA audience.

I like Bender's short stories. Also, off topic: but I actually got a chance to go to a talk by Bender. She said some inspiring stuff, mostly about how she struggled for a long time against writing what she actually wanted to (fantastical, since a lot of the literary world looks down on that), and that you should never do that as a writer. Guh, now I wish I could remember exactly what she said, I'm pretty sure I'm botching it :/

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I read Bender's book and you're right! It would work as magical realism...I'll have to check out some of her short stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.