Leakage - or how your writing is filtered through your worldview lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
That's part of what intrigues me about the works of others. I read for entertainment, of course, but I also read to learn something new, to experience the world from different perspective. The different lenses that we filter things through are part of what makes literature so excite and dynamic.
By the way, you might want to consider a degree in interpersonal relations! Some of my former professors would have been so proud of your application of communications theory to the novel, which is ultimately what you've done.

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting continuation of the other thread.

What I find interesting is the concept of the lens not being the same shape for everyone. Those with extreme views on a subject are more likely to have that view show up in their characters. Even if they try to hide it, they'll slowly create a pattern with their characters and subject matter, thanks to their skewed Lens of Worldview.

Continuing the lens theory: Authors good at observing/understanding people can create characters different enough from themselves to encompass a wide range of personality. Their lens would be rounder. Authors bad at observing/understanding people have characters that are basically all them, with cardboard to fill in the gaps. Their lens would be more skewed.

So those are two of the factors that determine what a person's Lens of Worldview looks like. It's a fun little thing to think about.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid the first thing that came to mind were flashbacks to my optics courses.

So I am going to be in a fetal position in the corner if anyone needs me.

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting way of looking at things.

I think the thing is that although you're worried about skewing the image of all your characters, even in your picture you didn't show them being skewed to the same place. They're still different people. And there's always a lens anyway - it's the reader. The ideal is that your target audience reader's lens puts the characters in the exact same place that they are with your writer's lens in the system too.

(contemplates how optics really works, turns off that part of brain).

The problem really comes when someone has a lens which focuses everyone (or one particular aspect of everyone) to the same place. Something like "all the female characters, no matter what their role or status, need and want a man to make their decisions for them". Or the standard Mary Sue lens. "Everyone loves my character's little quirks."

The character who thinks all women are inferior is probably going to be less of an issue than the author (lens) who thinks all women are inferior. Or is that just my own lens in action? I'd have less trouble with a character who thinks all women are inferior but actually what we see is women not being inferior, than I would with a character who thinks women are capable of being equal but actually what we see is that all the female characters in the story are inferior. The first makes me think that the character hasn't really analysed their thoughts - they're one of those people who'll make some blanket statement but even in their own mind they didn't intend it to apply to everyone, only the people it should apply to. The second would wind the hell out of me and make me cross with the author.

It's probably my lens.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What I find interesting is the concept of the lens not being the same shape for everyone. Those with extreme views on a subject are more likely to have that view show up in their characters. Even if they try to hide it, they'll slowly create a pattern with their characters and subject matter, thanks to their skewed Lens of Worldview.

I think that's it. Mostly, if I read a book where a character thinks X, I assume it's the character. Sometimes, often over the course of several books, it becomes apparent that either the writer writes a lot of characters who think the the same - telling in itself - or that the lens is making a very grouped pattern that becomes obvious.

I think the thing is that although you're worried about skewing the image of all your characters

Not worried. Thinking about it, esp with regard to other convos. When I get interested in something I get REALLY interested.

The character who thinks all women are inferior is probably going to be less of an issue than the author (lens) who thinks all women are inferior.

This (well, apart from my Old Man's input. Git) was what started me thinking. The difference between a character who thinks X is inferior and an author who makes all X characters weak/stupid/lazy etc. Sometimes the author's lens really leaps out at you. Other times, it's obvious, through tone and subtle means, that it is just the character. I was trying to work out how to show what I was meaning in that there is a difference.

Like Psycho's examples - say a writer's lens on Love will bleed through into how they treat a love story - make the exact same plot tragic or uplifting or bloody annoying. :D

Two writers writing about a overly patriarchal society may end up with a story involving women who are in the background, but real people, or just make all the women scenery.

In the other thread, I mentioned that some authors can write the first, and it's not a problem (their lens allows them to show women as inferior in the society but it's clear that's just what it is, in that society), but an author writing the second - their lens is showing like a beacon. Or possibly they are just lazy lol.

Or is that just my own lens in action? I'd have less trouble with a character who thinks all women are inferior but actually what we see is women not being inferior, than I would with a character who thinks women are capable of being equal but actually what we see is that all the female characters in the story are inferior. The first makes me think that the character hasn't really analysed their thoughts - they're one of those people who'll make some blanket statement but even in their own mind they didn't intend it to apply to everyone, only the people it should apply to. The second would wind the hell out of me and make me cross with the author.

It's probably my lens.

It could be. If so, it's my lens too :D

Basically I was just trying to find a way to explain how sometimes, not often, a book or author will give me a niggle. Or occasionally make me throw it across the room, whereas another writer could write about the same subject and I'll love it.

Or occasionally make me think 'Man, I'd love to meet this guy. We'd have a blast.'

What, exactly, was the difference? It's like I keep saying to my son - 'It's not always what you say that makes it rude. It's how you say it too.'

It's not what we write, I don't think, so much as how we write things, the angle we approach it from, where we put the mirror to reflect what we are trying to show, and that is where the lens becomes obvious.

Mark W.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think you can filter out your worldview in order to write characters or stories with different views. One of my favorite authors, David B. Coe, is a complete opposite to my worldview. Yet when I read his books, I thought he was similar to me because tha tis what the story demanded.

You can watch for it and filter it or minimize it if you are aware of it and make the effort.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts. And I like the diagrams.

Made me think of how much I admire Ken Follett for reducing the world-view skew as much as he did in Pillars of the Earth. Follett is a serious atheist, but he wrote some really wonderfully true-feeling devout Christian characters in that book (as well as a range of other beliefs among his characters.) I don't think I've ever seen a fiction author handle the view-skewing lens so carefully or effectively before.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting post, and awesome diagrams :)

You can tell my worldviews in my themes, dammit. Every time, I think.

My characters don't necessarily give it away. I find myself agreeing with Jamesaritchie here:

I'm not an atheist, but I have a friend who is. We've had many lengthy discussions, and it's as easy to put his reasoning, his belief system, his logic, into a character as it is to put in my own.

I think the way to avoid me-blindness is to look at, to listen to, to get to know, other people in intimate detail. I don't have to agree with what they think, believe, feel, etc., in order to have a character do the same.

And, for me, characters are not paper creations invented in my own mind. Characters who are not me are almost always some other real person I know very, very well. I know how they think, what they believe, how they reason, what their world view is on this issue, that issue, etc. That's what goes into the story.

I try my best to not think through myself at all for many characters. I'm just a conduit for views I've heard time and time again, and I know all about the folks who think that way. My beliefs have zero to do with it, as much as possible.

Until we get to the themes, that is ;) I can't help that part! That's where motivation comes in, I think. I want themes I like.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I try my best to not think through myself at all for many characters. I'm just a conduit for views I've heard time and time again, and I know all about the folks who think that way. My beliefs have zero to do with it, as much as possible.

Yes, precisely - I am not my characters. But I can't help but write them they way I write, for example. So my devout catholic is undoubtedly written by me, even though I don't share any characteristics with her. So is my atheist. Even though they are very different to each other, and me.

That's where the lens comes in, my translation of characters who are emphatically not me onto the page.

BTW, we're up to two not crazy, one crazy and one enquiry if I'm all right :D

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Scary, isn’t it?[/QUOTE]

Not really - it's a component of voice, the distinctiveness of any writer.
It's kind of inevitable that everything you write has you in it.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Give two authors the same plot, synopsis, characters, and goals, and you're still going to get two different stories, with different emotional overtones and deeper meanings.

I see that as a product of each individual's lens.

Maybe one writes their atheist character this way, because they had an atheist friend like that. Another writes it another way, because they're atheist. Another writes it still another way, because of this or that experience they've had, or because they believe salvation only comes through God, or...the list goes on.

We do all have our paradigms, our realms of experience and knowledge, and when we write, we write from there--it's a large part of what gives us our unique voice.

And I do think that in many cases, you can get an idea of the author's views by reading their work.

Not always. And of course, you can be wrong.

One of my friends read my latest novel. One of the things he said was that it was like having a long, intimate conversation with me; that he would have known it was my book even if I tried to deny it. It was funny, because I'd intentionally created a main character very different from myself in both worldview and morality...and yet, there I was, hiding between the lines, whispering so loudly the reader could hear.

And in the end? His main criticism of the book was that there wasn't enough darkness. It was all about a fun romp. I'd noticed the same thing...when I wrote it, I was just having enjoying myself, not trying to say anything deep. When I re-read it, I thought it was fun but light, without as much substance as I would have liked. But then I figured hey, what's wrong with escapist commercial fiction?

And so it went to press.

And that process, those thoughts, that end determination by me, the author, came through in the final product in a way that was palpable to the reader.

And now I'm rambling...

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I think many readers are happy to identify a writer who has a similar worldview to their own, and subsequently pleased to see the same worldview in all of the writer's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.