Help with Gaelic Please?

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I need some help with a translation. I want to say "Thanks for nothing, brother" in Gaelic.

Google translate told me it was "bhuíochas do dheartháir rud ar bith," but Google has gotten some things wrong and I want to make sure I'm accurate. I can't find an online transaltor that will translate into Gaelic or "Irish". Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I've moved this to the part of the International District that is not SYW in the hopes you'll get more answers. You've gone long enough without them. :)

Deleted member 42

I need some help with a translation. I want to say "Thanks for nothing, brother" in Gaelic.

Google translate told me it was "bhuíochas do dheartháir rud ar bith," but Google has gotten some things wrong and I want to make sure I'm accurate. I can't find an online transaltor that will translate into Gaelic or "Irish". Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

You'll have one of the native speakers along shortly; the syntax looks wrong to me, but my Irish is Old Irish and reading is not the same as writing.

Susan Lanigan

Registered
Reaction score
And this is a totally Irish response - if I were going there, I wouldn't start from here :)

I don't know an actual translation but that's too literal from the idiom. You're more likely in Irish to say "That was about as good to me now as a [insert outrageous simile]."

There is a twitter hashtag trending at the moment #Irishsayings that might help. I don't know an exact corresponding expression in Irish, unfortunately.

caspermac

Registered
Reaction score
You might want to check that Google is translating it into Irish Gaelic and not Scottish Gaelic, they're similar but not exactly the same. You might also want to try using google.co.uk rather than .com as the results are different sometimes. I speak a few words of Scots Gaelic but I'm afraid I cant help you with the above.

skullandcrown

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Im Irish but not a native speaker, although everyone is taught it as a subject. From my memory banks i think it would be:

Go raibh maith agat do rud ar bith, deartháir.

Many thanks....... for nothing at all ...brother.

Theres a native speaker on the international page, maybe you could get in touch, otherwise id go with this

speirbhean

wishing I was reading
Registered
Reaction score
You can't really directly translate that if you want it to sound authentic as it's not a phrase used in Irish. There is even a phrase for what you are doing, Béarlachas, which is using English idiom in Irish. It's done a lot, usually by learners but it's not very pretty. You could say 'ní raibh mórán maitheas le sin' (that wasn't much use) or 'theip tú orm' (you failed me). A direct translation would be go raibh maith agat as ucht tada but it's not great tbh. What's the context?

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your responses! Sorry I haven't responded before now, I've been caught up writing and haven't had time to check the boards in a while.

To put it in context, it's an argument between two brothers Eoin and Ardal. Ardal wanted Eoin's help in a criminal venture and Eoin refused. Ardal says, "Thanks for nothing, brother" and Eoin responds "Cead mile failte romhat".

You've all helped tremendously! Thanks again!

Raspberry

Germlish Speaker
Registered
Reaction score
see... I'm too late... (my fault actually) I speak Scottish Gaelic, if ever one of you would need it.

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
Random comment. When in Ireland, there were at least 2 radio stations entirely in Gaelic. All you Irish, keep your language alive. *Irish flag wave* :flag:

skunkthecat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your responses! Sorry I haven't responded before now, I've been caught up writing and haven't had time to check the boards in a while.

To put it in context, it's an argument between two brothers Eoin and Ardal. Ardal wanted Eoin's help in a criminal venture and Eoin refused. Ardal says, "Thanks for nothing, brother" and Eoin responds "Cead mile failte romhat".

You've all helped tremendously! Thanks again!

Unless your characters are in the habit of throwing Gaeilge into their English conversations, I'd be wary of using whole sentences without really sound reasons. And as a side note, "Cead mile failte romhat" (sorry for the lack of fada's, my keyboard's not quite up to speed!) would be a more formal way of saying you're welcome. Between brothers "Ta failte romhat" might be more appropriate.