zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Because it's nice when we're all hanging out here, but even better when we're all hanging out on a TOC together. (-:

I figure people hear about interesting markets through word of mouth, footnotes on other writers' blogs, and the occasional hand-written note on blood-stained vellum slipped under the door on the night of a new moon, and it's good to have a way of sharing that info.

It also occurs to me that it might be handy for folks to know what everyone else writes, so I'll start and say I write mostly space-opera with the occasional fantasy/horror for some variety.

-Suzanne

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Heads up--next prompt/contest I'm considering:
Redstone Science Fiction: Identity Crisis Contest -due August 15th.

Nothing at all has come to mind for me for this one as yet though--not even sure I get what they want just yet lol.
I actually might end up skipping this one, but perhaps this post will help jumpstart someone else; in fact, I think I'll work on a "Writers of the Future" entry.

The other interesting (and pro-paying) contests/prompts I see all have September deadlines.

Last edited:

Tienci

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
A bit of shameless self-promotion here: Every Sunday, on me blog, i publish a Spec Fic News bulletin, which includes news about new markets, contests, and anthos. This week i'll be pointing out a couple that don't look like they've been talked up too much yet, so be sure to check the bulletin when it's released Sunday arvo/evening.

*cheesy grin of self-promotion*

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always love your bulletin, Izz.

A great service to the community. :)
Thank you.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
And here it is: Spec Fic News 17/07/11

Including info on:

a new pro-paying market
a contest accepting works up to 30K
a mystery novel contest offering a prize that includes a $10k advance (not really applicable to us here, but still cool :D)

Tienci

Registered
Reaction score
Fabulous Izz--thanks very much!

PS--For some reason, all this time I thought you were a girl until I saw the name 'Samuel' on your bulletin (must've thought Izz short for Isabel or something). :D

Last edited:

Tienci

Registered
Reaction score
Another heads-up:
Round 7 of NPR's 3-minute fiction contest is going to start soon (saw an announcement on their Facebook page). :)
It's non-paying--usually a copy of the author-judge's book or something--but it's 600 words of fun!

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I know I saw mention of people writing for The Memory Eater anthology. Though the deadline is past, the editor is still accepting stories to fill the last 5 or 6 slots, apparently.

As for what I write, it's mostly horror and weird tales that are somewhere between horror and fantasy, I guess. A little science fiction, but it's pretty soft, I think. I do write some non-genre stuff (or literary, since that seems to be a genre of its own), and humor.

The novel I'm trying to beat into shape is horror. The novella, gay erotic fantasy, which I guess would be called paranormal fantasy since a main character isn't exactly human.

Shelley

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
This came up for me the other day in the "Random Market" thingie on Duotrope, and has rather caught my fancy. Thought I'd pass it along to see if it's a spark for anyone else:
Dagan Books Fish Anthology:
http://www.duotrope.com/market_5794.aspx

-Suzanne

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Heads up on a new pro-paying market, peeps: Penumbra.

Musa is a brand new e-publishing outfit, and Penumbra is their short fiction magazine. I know very little about them, except that their book publishing arm pays royalties only, and finding information about their editors is very difficult. But 5c a word for the zine arm isn't necessarily to be sneezed at.

Last edited:

Tienci

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, might try to get something in for Penumbra's call for spec-fic involving the arts...

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Update to my post above: info about Musa's editors and staff is now easily accessible.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
Apex put out a submissions call for a follow-up to their Dark Faith anthology. Link here.

You can't submit until January, so that should give us all plenty of time to write something. :)

Opinionated Ant

I walk into things
Registered
Reaction score

I'm working on one now but think it will be over the max but thanks I liked 'em on FB for future. Taking a kid lit class we read/talked a lot about fairy tales so now my head is full of ideas!

Not sure if I missed this one in the thread already but I’m polishing a few for http://nanofiction.org/ contest. They say you can sub up to three (under 300 words) for the $15 fee deadline is 8/31/11.

@Izz added your blog lots of great info thanks!