Tell it like it is, my compatriots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GulfCoastMama

Registered
Reaction score
So. I am not a regular poster here, but have lurked for some time and would first like to say that I have enjoyed roughly 82.3% of the posts here (don't feel bad, that stat is much better than what I gave to the posts at the Don Ho fan club site). I am looking to you experienced (and faux experienced) funnymen and women to tell me what the heck to do next.

I have been querying a book of non-fiction essays for a year now (think Bombeck/Sedaris/Barry/maybe Jill Conner Browne). They are a little troublesome, because they're funny, but also tend to have a literary bent. In my little mind, this is the height of humor (they tend to focus more on the ironic and bittersweet, and less on farts); to the publishing industry, however, this is a niche that is difficult to market to, and even, at times, difficult to locate (Sedaris???). Aimed at women, aged 40-55. Entire ms length approx. 60,000 words, each essay approx. 2,000-2,500 words.

I have turned over every stone. I snagged about twelve serious lit agent readers, and the general consensus was "I LOVE THIS--it is funny, and well written--but I would never be able to sell an essay collection by someone who isn't famous". While I am saddened by this and wish I had invested my money in a Snookie tan instead of college, I take the positive feedback as a very good sign. I also came very close to signing with an agency who has worked with many of the biggest names in the humor business (primarily showbiz people), but I tried to nudge the process along a little too much (as a little fish in the big pond, I was not at all priority) so what could possibly have been my best (or only) ticket to ride deteriorated at my own hand.

So. The dilemma is: proceed with submitting directly to small/medium publishers on my own, or should I call it a day? Will I get the same response from publishers who deal with quirky/small/alternative, or was the problem the involvement of agency representation and the high costs associated with publishing at a large enterprise (i.e. huge advances)? Would a smaller publisher with less invested take a chance on this? Should I scrap this book idea completely and jump head-first in querying these essays to magazines so as to not waste, potentially, another year? Should I forget all this and spend the rest of my days looking at old pictures of David Cassidy?

I have some writing credits, mostly in literary journals, a fiction anthology, regional consumer mag, and have just recorded some of my writing for NPR where it will hopefully air soon. But what is missing is a BIG national consumer mag credit, especially one that is humor focused.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it (however much I want to insert something additional about being a runway model). What would you do next if you were in my shoes? I guess I am saying: is it time to give up this dream?

Your advice would be appreciated. Do not be afraid to infuse your response with all manner of hubris and patronization, as it will make me feel more secure that you know what you are talking about.

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd start submitting some of the essays to magazines. Getting a few published will probably help more than hurt your chances of eventually getting them published. I'd also keep submitting the manuscript as a whole to smaller agents and/or publishers.

Also, if you're indeed a runway model, please send me some of your most risque' photos, so I can determine which one will look best on the book jacket.

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I'd look online for outlets - submit to magazines, sure, but do no overlook online opportunities. You should have a blog to showcase some of your work and get feedback, to start building an audience to show it is out there.

I hate twitter and though I have accounts, never use them BUT for what you are talking about it could be a great way to get your voice heard 140 characters at a time.

annie
http://dearhelenhartman.blogspot.com/

bobkeeshanjr

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had the publishing experience to help you. I find a lot of the stuff I've written over the years(though never published) falls under the category of literary humour. I've written short essays you might say in letter form to some of my relatives over the years. I was kind of hoping someday to sell a literary type of humour under my real name( and relegate toilet humour to a pseudonym).

So your experience kind of scares me. I find people don't read books as much as they used to. They don't seem to have the time it seems, and no offense to anyone on the boards but the writing I see in today's market is not good.

I'm always looking for a literary form of humour writing when I go to the book store. I wish there was more of it out there.

I still don't know what to do with all my writing I've collected over the years. About 99% of the stuff I've thought up, I never bothered to write down, if I had I'd have about two dozen volumes of humour writing.

If I can help in any way, by reading your work or something, just let me know.
:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.