Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
http://beyondtheslushpile.com/2011/06/09/the-new-slush-pile/

Big Al's Books and Pals is no longer accepting unsolicited review requests. (Big Al's, you'll recall, was the previously-obscure review site that rose to fame when an author had a hissy-fit over a less-than-stellar review.)

I’ve heard many editors, authors and agents express concern about the e-publishing industry, and the biggest worry seems to be about who will be the gatekeepers of modern publishing. Big Al’s announcement proves that book bloggers will be covering one gate. How can I tell? It just slammed closed until further notice.

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It appears that the unsolicited is just until they catch up--not a permanent situation.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
We see the same sort of note -- just until they clear the backlog -- at publishers' sites and agents' sites.

See also the guidelines at Coffee Time Romance. http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/reviewsguidelines.html

I haven't checked the guidelines at all of the major review sites, but I expect that they'll get more restrictive and more selective as time goes on.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you review ebooks and/or self-published books you very quickly get more offers than you could ever read. POD People probably reviews about 2% of what we get pitched, maybe less. However we went to a query system and it has worked out pretty well. Funny how that happens.

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
We see the same sort of note -- just until they clear the backlog -- at publishers' sites and agents' sites.

See also the guidelines at Coffee Time Romance. http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/reviewsguidelines.html

I haven't checked the guidelines at all of the major review sites, but I expect that they'll get more restrictive and more selective as time goes on.

Al has several reviewers, but even with them, and his own reviewing, I imagine even if he read non-stop for the next six months, he'd still have books in his TBR pile, which begs the question, how many reviews is he going to post in a day? Would you want the review of your book to be one of 20 posted every day? I wouldn't. I'd want my book to be either the only review or just a few others.

An agency gets query letters--which is a lot quicker to read than a 300 page novel. They then select only the few novels they request and don't pledge to finish reading them all. I'm sure many agents stop reading a full request after the fourth chapter if it doesn't hold their interest. A book reviewer has to slog through the book until the end, even if they don't like it, because how else are they going to review it?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Notice that I'm not complaining. I'm noting. The gates are still there, the gatekeepers are still there.

Self-published authors are going into the slushpile. It's just changed location. Again.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Don't a few sites have "DNF" or something similar as a review rating?

Yes.

I also know a few review sites won't review a book if they haven't anything good to say about it(even their lowest rating would not cut it). They will email the author stating this, and leave it at that.

Last edited:

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Yes. I know a few review sites won't review a book if they haven't anything good to say about it(even their lowest rating would not cut it). They will email the author stating this, and leave it at that.

DNF isn't always because the reviewer doesn't have anything good to say. I received 2 DNF reviews(that I know of) and both recommended the book to other readers based on what they read. It just wasn't their taste. One asked if I'd prefer it wasn't posted but I see no harm in having a range of honest reviews.

I expect Review Blogs are flooded with requests at the moment and I'm not surprised there are restrictions appearing in guidelines.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
DNF isn't always because the reviewer doesn't have anything good to say. I received 2 DNF reviews(that I know of) and both recommended the book to other readers based on what they read. It just wasn't their taste. One asked if I'd prefer it wasn't posted but I see no harm in having a range of honest reviews.

I expect Review Blogs are flooded with requests at the moment and I'm not surprised there are restrictions appearing in guidelines.

I didn't state that it was. My other post is edited to clarify in case others read it like you did.

Last edited:

AP7

Registered
Reaction score
Notice that I'm not complaining. I'm noting. The gates are still there, the gatekeepers are still there.

Self-published authors are going into the slushpile. It's just changed location. Again.

Really? Then this is the first time in history that authors could profit while sitting in a slush pile.

AP7

Registered
Reaction score
The comparison isnt even close to apples to apples. Book bloggers may have some power and influence but they dont control the entire distribution chain of an industry.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Really? Then this is the first time in history that authors could profit while sitting in a slush pile.

I suppose you'd have to define "profit."

If you're going to sell more than a dozen copies to your family and friends, how does that work?

Most of what's in Self-Published Land is unreadable. Where do the sales come from? Who assures the readers that they aren't paying money to have a spork stuck in their eyeballs?

I see the review sites increasing in importance and influence as the number of self-published e-texts grows.

MMcDonald64

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I suppose you'd have to define "profit."

If you're going to sell more than a dozen copies to your family and friends, how does that work?

Most of what's in Self-Published Land is unreadable. Where do the sales come from? Who assures the readers that they aren't paying money to have a spork stuck in their eyeballs?

I see the review sites increasing in importance and influence as the number of self-published e-texts grows.

Well, there is the sample feature, which can at least determine if the book is readable, but if the reader hated the plot, or the writing was grammatically correct, but boring, at least on Amazon, the reader has a 7-day window to get their money back--and they can still leave a review. Other ebook sites are a bit trickier because I don't think they have ebook returns, but there is still the reader review even if it's not a book blogger.

BigAl reviewed my first book before he ever started his blog, so you never know--that regular reader might end up having a review blog someday. ;-)

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
No. They might make a little money while sitting in the slush pile. They get to start calling it profit after they've earned enough to pay off the hours of work they spent writing the book.
The comparison isnt even close to apples to apples. Book bloggers may have some power and influence but they dont control the entire distribution chain of an industry.
I've got news. First, nobody controls the entire distribution chain of the industry, but there are certainly people who are very influential in it, and you'd have to be a fool to ignore that. Second: what you and we are talking about here isn't distribution. It's sales and marketing and promotion. Distribution is getting it out there where people can buy it. S&M&P is persuading them to do so.

You need to learn why people buy books. Let me give you the list. Each of these four items is about half as important as the one that preceded it, and twice as important as the one that follows it. Feel free to think of it in terms of one-half, one-quarter, one-eighth, and miscellaneous fractions amounting to another eighth.

Big first: They read and enjoyed another book by the same author. It's by far the most important reason people buy books, and you can't influence it on your own behalf.

Second reason, half as important: The book was recommended by someone they trust. This encompasses everything that reviews can do.

Third reason, down to one-eighth: They liked the cover. Honest, it's that important -- why do you think so much effort gets lavished on the things?

Fourth reason: Everything else. Advertising. Personal appearances. They mistook your book for another one that has a similar title. They were stuck in that bus terminal for 36 hours, and your book was the least objectionable choice. The previous book they'd been using to level their washing machine got wet and mildewed, so they needed another book with the same number of pages. Et cetera.

Now notice that the only significant element in there that's open to your influence is #2, "book was recommended by someone they trust." That's where Big Al's comes in. You don't think they're all that important? Think again. A site like that can swing a lot of weight with readers, if its recommendations are reliable and it reviews books its readers care about. If it can't, nobody's going to give a damn about it. Therefore, Big Al's can survive just fine without you, but it can't survive without its readers and reviewers.

That makes you low man on the totem pole. Feel free to sneer at book bloggers and other gatekeepers if you wish. It does them no harm, and it helps thin out the field.

Capital

Doomthayer
Registered
Reaction score
Snow. Bears. Every other day I see another human.
The gatekeepers I'd prefer are these big dudes wearing khakis who'd wait for someone to try and charge money for illiterate/scam/spam work. They'd go to the offender's house and break the offender's computer with very large and very heavy baseball bats. And they'd leave a business card saying: "GateKEPT, BITCH". Oh and they'd record that shit and put it up on YouTube.

Book bloggers... pfft.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
This is not suprising in the slightest. I've seen a lot of review sites who filter review requests and won't accept any unsolicited books for review. All this means is that, as with any other aspect of publishing, a good book will get the attention it deserves.

AP7

Registered
Reaction score
That makes you low man on the totem pole. Feel free to sneer at book bloggers and other gatekeepers if you wish. It does them no harm, and it helps thin out the field.

I wasnt snickering at book bloggers. They can be very influencial, especially in this day and age. And Jim is correct in that assertion. But comparing their slush pile to the slush pile of editors at the biggest of houses isnt an apples to apples comparison. First off, there are tons of book bloggers. Granted, they arent created equally. But if Big Al closes to submissions, there are other options. More importantly, if Big Al or some other book blogger chooses not to review my self pubbed book, my book is still on sale and has the opportunity to be discovered, and purchased. When a novel is sitting in a slush pile it is languishing and of no use to anyone. Furthermore, if a book is rejected by the handful of editors who aquire a certain type of book, that's it. You're done. You can write another book, or find another dream.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
First off, there are tons of book bloggers. Granted, they arent created equally. But if Big Al closes to submissions, there are other options.

Slush expands to fill the space available. Let's say there are enough book bloggers to review all the available self-published books. That's a lot of blogs to read. At that point it feels like we need a meta-book-blogger to review them.

Consumers, for the most part, will always need gatekeepers of whatever kind, because there's only so much attention to go around.

AP7

Registered
Reaction score
I've got news. First, nobody controls the entire distribution chain of the industry, but there are certainly people who are very influential in it, and you'd have to be a fool to ignore that.

I'm not ignoring them, they are ignoring me. And it's not that I dont respect them or their opinions and business practices. It's simply that I believe my book is good enough and I'm taking the opportunity to sink or swim on my own merits. In the past, that wasnt a viable option. Now I believe it is.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not ignoring them, they are ignoring me. And it's not that I dont respect them or their opinions and business practices. It's simply that I believe my book is good enough and I'm taking the opportunity to sink or swim on my own merits. In the past, that wasnt a viable option. Now I believe it is.

It's only a viable option if you're willing to put in the time and effort to market effectively. If you're willing and have the money to do so, you can spend a small fortune, too. Why, then, would anyone slam the door on the free marketing provided by book bloggers if, as you say, "my book is good enough"?

AP7

Registered
Reaction score
It's only a viable option if you're willing to put in the time and effort to market effectively. If you're willing and have the money to do so, you can spend a small fortune, too. Why, then, would anyone slam the door on the free marketing provided by book bloggers if, as you say, "my book is good enough"?

I didnt slam the door, I said comparing their backlog to the slush received by agents and editors isnt apples to apples.

Status
Not open for further replies.