I'm about 2/3 finished with a NF book. I figured I'd send out a few queries (3 of them) and test the waters. 2 publishers wrote back and said they'd forward the proposal to the board for consideration. One of the 2 actually called me and talked for a while.

But since I've never published a book yet, I really have no idea how I should negotiate when/if one of them wants the book.

Should I get an agent? If so, should I try to find one now or wait and see if the book gets accepted?

Thanks all.