Publishing In Growth After Recession

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/global-publishing-back-front-foot.html

The world's largest pub­lishers have begun growing again after weathering the global recession over the past three years, with ­Pearson once again emerging as top dog.
According to the annual ranking of global pub­lishing performance, compiled on behalf of Livres Hebdo, Buchreport, Publishers Weekly and The Bookseller, publishing revenues in 2010 have overtaken the total ­revenues for 2008 and 2009.

Among the 10 largest groups, professional and STM publishing is the largest sector, with 43% of the total revenues, followed by trade with 31%, and education at 26%. However, the ranking shows how education has grown in size over the past three years with the sector contributing sales of €6.9bn in 2008 to €8.2bn, representing growth of 18%. Trade publishing has grown 9% over the same period, but its share of the total market has diminished from 35% to 31%.

The survey is in marked contrast to bookselling, where a number of brands have fallen foul of the recession and the shift to digital, including Borders, Angus & Robertson and British Bookshops. Others such as Barnes & Noble and Waterstone's continue to struggle. Of the top booksellers, only Amazon has grown its sales over the equivalent time frame.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I think a big part of the growth is because books are, compared to other entertainment, reasonably cheap.

For instance, if I go to the cinema here it'll cost me £7, which is the same as a book - or two books in one of the supermarkets. So, that £7 can by me 90mins of entertainment, or a couple of hours entertainment.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I think the fact that the big trade publishers have firmly diversified their brands to include e-books has added to the growth in the past two years.

Unsure though if this represents long term growth or a short spike because of the newness of e-readers and apps that allow magazines and books to be read on phones and such...

Status
Not open for further replies.