Write1Sub1 Novel?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Right, it's about time i shared around some of the thoughts peeps have offered.

As i think i've already mentioned--perhaps via PM--it appears the official W1S1 challenge will be ending at the end of the year. However, i'd like to keep a similar challenge going here continuously. There's new peeps joining all the time, and even if we have to change what we're able to do, i think it's a good motivator.

And we've got such a cool community participating here at AW. :)

We need a funky name for these challenges, and if we could come up with a name that encompasses both the short fiction version and the novel version, that'd be groovy.

zanzjan has suggested 'WMY--Weekly, Monthly, Yearly.' I like it. What do y'all think? Any other suggestions?

Whatever we come up with, i'm sure we can create funky badges to go with it.

In regards to the novel challenge: Aggy's mentioned that concrete goals are part of the reason why W1S1 (and Nano) works so well. She's also suggested that we could set out a variety of goals for people to work towards.

Rough guide of possible goals:

'Complete first draft'
'Complete revisions'
'Complete query letter'
'Submit to agents/publishers'

If we feel that completing a first draft is what we can accomplish in the twelve months, then we can choose that as the end goal, and set 12 months worth of smaller goals to help get us there.

Same goes for any of the other goals.

If we feel that we can reach all of those goals, then we can plan accordingly.

If we feel we can reach each of those goals multiple times, then plan accordingly.

I reckon this'd give us enough leeway to work within our means and creative processes, but still have an end-point of where we want to be after twelve months.

Also, i think we should be able to start the challenge whenever we want to, and the end-point for us be twelve months after we start. That'll help give the challenge continuing forward momentum.

What do you think, peeps?

As to where this will take place, well, it still hasn't been decided yet, though it'll likely be in this subforum, but this subforum may be moved to a different place.

Thanks much for your input so far, peeps. This is a really great idea. And, to my mind, the more you peeps shape how the challenge works the better, so more input would be fantastic!

Also, i'm about to embark on a new project (a fairly ambitious one, if i do say so myself--more details coming soon), so i may be a bit otherwise-occupied for a wee while.

Have i told you all today how much you rock? No. Well, then, you peeps rock!

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
zanzjan has suggested 'WMY--Weekly, Monthly, Yearly.' I like it. What do y'all think? Any other suggestions?

In thinking about it and how different everyone's speed and process is, I wasn't sure if WMQY wouldn't have some utility, with "Quarterly" in there too -- that's just about the right challenge for me with shorts, if I'm working on a novel too (which I am, and will be.) But if it's only me, there's probably not much point in it.

-Suzanne

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The Short and Long Literary Yearlong Challenge, or the SALLY Challenge.

Or not.

With the new challenge being all-encompassing as it is, trying to stuff all of those possibilities into a catchy acronym might be impossible (unless you decide to go with SALLY, of course!) so maybe it would be best to just give it a real name, like FictionYear or the Write Now challenge, or Uncle Cletus' Clickity-Clack Calamity. The exact nature of the challenge doesn't have to be apparent in the title, just the general idea.

petersonjohn

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy all!

I'm new to this forum. I saw this thread and I wanted to get some clarification. When I write a story, would I submit it anywhere I want? Do I post it somewhere on the forum for folks to look at? I like the idea of this challenge!

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy all!

I'm new to this forum. I saw this thread and I wanted to get some clarification. When I write a story, would I submit it anywhere I want? Do I post it somewhere on the forum for folks to look at? I like the idea of this challenge!

Hey there, and welcome to AW!

Yes, you can sub anywhere you want as far as I know. There aren't any hard rules to the W1S1 challenge, as it's more of a motivational measure. If you want to have your work looked at on the forums here, it can be shared in the SYW forum, although you have to have 50 posts before you can post anything there. It's a preventative measure to keep people from making an account just to get feedback and then disappearing forever after that, without adding anything to the community here.

Hope you enjoy your time on AW, it's a great place!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

shortstorymachinist had it right; W1S1 is about the challenge and community support along the way. What goal you set, what you write, and where you sub it is all on you.