Helicopter-fired missiles

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert on helicopters (I did do maintenance on armoured vehicles however) but I highly doubt there are sensors in the landing gear. The engine would have to be running or in the on position (similar to a car). Otherwise I can't think of any ill effects unless the target is close or there's something in the way of the backblast.

Royal Mercury

I think I am, therefore....
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why it wouldn't be able to fire the missiles while landed.

The biggest danger would be hitting something too close, or perhaps getting a hang-fire condition, where the armed missile doesn't leave the launching tube and is live in the launcher and ready to explode.

KQ800

Registered
Reaction score
Cannot answer the first question, but also see no reason why it couldn't. I suppose it would be up to the crew to arm the weapons and fire them.

Effects: the minimum range of the Shturm is 600m in most versions which means that the warhead will not arm below that range, but if the body breaks up, from hitting a building etc, the remaining rocket fuel will ignite.

When the missile is first fired a booster charge will ignite to get it out of the tube and up to speed, after which the main motor will start. This booster charge sounds like a black powder cannon going off (or a really big fireworks launcher), and the flame and shockwave can kill anyone several meters behind the launch tube. I have no knowledge of the minimum safety distance of the shturm, but according to
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/44-43/Appj.htm and
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/23-34/Appa.htm

the minimum safe distance for the TOW-missile is 75 meters in a 90 degree arc.

Since the missiles are tilted slightly up, I would assume that grass, brush etc caught in the blast might catch fire. And if there is no open area behind the helicopter, the blast might bounce back and hit the helicopter or other personnel.

This is rarely lethal, but can cause concussion and hearing damage.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
The Shturm is an anti-tank weapon system (armed with contact fuze), housed in its tube and as such doesn’t have a ‘drop free’ safety. It will fire inside its tube, on wing pylons (which are about 1 meter of the ground). The initial buster will launch it out of the tube and within 30 meters the solid fuel will ignite and fly it 5-6 km to target. The missile will go high and drop on target (it does not have a level flight). It’s radio controlled, within line of vision (meaning the gunner MUST keep the crosshairs on the target). The Shturm is a daylight weapon only—no infrared capability and the rangefinder stinks. Targets beyond 4-500 meters are hit by luck. It’s got a low kill ratio which gets even lower if target is mobile.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
The Shturm is an anti-tank weapon system (armed with contact fuze), housed in its tube and as such doesn’t have a ‘drop free’ safety. It will fire inside its tube, on wing pylons (which are about 1 meter of the ground). The initial buster will launch it out of the tube and within 30 meters the solid fuel will ignite and fly it 5-6 km to target. The missile will go high and drop on target (it does not have a level flight). It’s radio controlled, within line of vision (meaning the gunner MUST keep the crosshairs on the target). The Shturm is a daylight weapon only—no infrared capability and the rangefinder stinks. Targets beyond 4-500 meters are hit by luck. It’s got a low kill ratio which gets even lower if target is mobile.

Won't the missile drop quite a way before the secondary ignition? If so, it's going to impact the ground prior to the solid rocket fuel igniting?

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Not really. I already said that it does not have a fall free or a level flight. The first charge is quite capable to take it for more than 300 meters, at a speed to clear a fast, forward flying chopper if it explodes prematurely. The main buster ignites in about 30 meters after leaving the tube. The Shturm gets an upward angle when it leaves the tube anyhow. It never flies straight, it goes up and dives on its target. Now, if there’s a big rock, a tree, a pissant hill, right in front, at a distance of 10 meters or less—kaboom goes the rocket and the nose of the chopper. Other that that, it should be safe.

Last edited:

Bigglesworth

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding the first question, many military aircraft will not arm weapons when there is weight-on-wheels. I don't know off the top of my head if the Hind is one of them, though.

KQ800

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding the first question, many military aircraft will not arm weapons when there is weight-on-wheels. I don't know off the top of my head if the Hind is one of them, though.

Well, it IS russian.....

Their idea of safety tend to be "Don't do that because then you die."

Anaximander

Registered
Reaction score
Never heard of the Hind having the sensors on the gear - not that it's the sort of thing that gets advertised, being a relatively minor detail. If the system will let you fire, then it should be fine, no damage to the helicopter or anything. Not sure what the launch drop is, though - the missiles tend to drop a little between boost charge and motor ignition, and if they fall far enough to hit the ground then things might get interesting. Don't think they would, though, unless the ground slopes or something.