Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, Ely!

And things are great with me too. Still planning how my novel progresses and how to intertwine the romance and the external conflicts. Slow progress on this too, but I like to say progress is progress lately lol

Just sit and write, Taylor! Let the words flow. You'll probably end up rewriting your opening (I know I do a ton as well as others), but like Ely said, just let the characters speak to you. :)

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
So true. Progress IS progress. I'm learning how to not feel rushed when writing. I like to hurry up and finish things, but I think that if I take my time, work things out and not stress myself over plotting and things...the less frustrating the entire process will be.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm puzzled by this concept of your characters "speaking" to you. They're imaginary. If you don't know where to start, neither do they. :tongue

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
To me, letting your characters speak to you means abandoning any sort of anxiety about what you're writing and letting your imagination take over. Your characters are your imagination.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm puzzled by this concept of your characters "speaking" to you. They're imaginary. If you don't know where to start, neither do they. :tongue

They "speak" to me after I've established a solid 8k. By then, their personalities are known, along with the plot. Then they speak to me, which usually results in a lot of whimsical plot pursuits and twists... :) Those aren't always good.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Writing is also a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia, as stated by E.L. Doctorow. :D

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I can't imagine my characters NOT speaking to me. I've had everything from Emil saying "what is your problem, I would never wear orange" to Corwin saying "I don't care what your reasoning is, I won't ask a crime lord for help. That is the only difference between the Hatter and I; I have honor." to Ella saying "Hey Authoress, just so you know I'm really into politics, and there's no way I'm going to go stay out of all this shit when the war is over just cause Hailey wants me too. That's boring."

By the way, I got the role of Scar in my school's production of The Lion King. SO EXCITED IT HAS BEEN MY DREAM ROLE FOR YEARS BUT I THOUGHT I COULD NEVER HAVE IT cause he's a guy. Have I mentioned I love my drama teacher? Someone was like "But Scar's a guy!" and she was like "There is this thing called acting, perhaps you've heard of it?"

Bookgirl2021

"If I had a heart, I'd give it to you."
Registered
Reaction score
That is an awesome response. :D

ETA I just got a 77(.5) on a quiz.... Oh well. I'm getting all 50/50s on the assignments, so one C+ won't kill me. :tongue

Last edited:

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm good. I wrote a page and a half of Whispers in the Dark. It was the first time in a LONG time that I actually sat down and wrote something. How are you?

That's great! I just woke up from a very weird, but awesome dream and now I am sad that I live in the real world again. :< lol

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
How are everyone's WIPs coming? Anyone else close to finishing the first draft?

Springs

Registered
Reaction score
I had a weird dream, too. There were some sort of weird robots made out of plastic bags...

My WIPs are okay. No where close to finishing the first draft of the one, though. I've only got about one chapter down so far.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys. :)

Do you know what I was thinking the other night? How useful it would be to have something that connects to your brain and writes or types your thoughts. I had a lot of thoughts about my random project and (this is going to sound strange, methinks), but I can't write streams of conciousness.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
If that existed, that wound be so awesome because I come up with great ideas and quotes, but I always forget them down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.