Cover for a Hard SF Novel

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Here's cover artwork/design I've made for a Kindle book to be released soon. I would very much appreciate your comments on legibility, clarity, what it conveys, etc.

waylandebook.jpg

RMimms

shy newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rmimms.tumblr.com
Can you make the image a little bit bigger? It would make analyzing the image easier. IMO, it looks good. Without knowing that it was an SF novel, I would have a guessed that it might have something to do with space or nature. I'm assuming that the creature on right is an alien? Or some other kind of creature? The text looks great as well. Hope that helps you.

So I went your site and looked at the image there. It looks really great. I wouldn't have figured out that there was a black hole in the drawing. From far away it looks like some kind of object floating in space. Hopefully someone who reads a lot more SF than I do can chime in here, as I tend to read fantasy novels more than SF ones. But I really like your style of painting.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To me it is quite pretty. The objects look like they're happily drifting; the colours are gently autumnal. The slighty cartoon-y aspect and the font would make me think it was a fantasy or SF children's book aimed at 10 - 12 year olds.