Reading to write

dog8food

Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to read some inspiring books to help my creativity. So far I've read some Shakespeare and The Artist's Way. Inspiring.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Never met a writer who wasn't a voracious reader. "Met" largely refers to interviews where writers really open up and give us more insight into their personal lives that we expect. I invariably learn that they are big readers and most, if not all, have their favourite writers. Also many say they are inspired by certain writers - for some it's reflected in their writing, whilst for others you'd never guess the source of their inspiration. Regardless though, I think writers just write because they want to and because they can and reading is also an important part of their day.

Shakespeare works for me mainly through movie adaptations. I stopped reading his works when I left school. He may be an inspiration for plot but I would not recommend him for language :) Thou may hath trouble with thine audience.

Last edited:

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
What are you trying to write?

The works of Edgar Allen Poe and the short stories of H.P. Lovecraft have always been very inspiring to me. I'm not a dark person usually, so they bring out a creative side in me I'm not used to.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished rereading one of my favorite writing books, Bird by Bird (Anne Lamott.) I'm overdue to reread The Lord of the Rings, but my beloved Allen and Unwin one volume paperback edition has pages that fall like mallorn leaves in the long autumn of Lothlorien. And my beloved hardback one volume with Alan Lee illustrations is just too heavy to read while walking. Got to find a really nice three volume set...

Read on!

lostwanderer5

Registered
Reaction score
I find most well-crafted stories with good plot + non-fiction of quality inspiring. Most books have something to teach, even if it's to teach you that not to do something the way they did. ;)

I would also recommend reading poetry, even if you only write prose.